Sales Vouchers and preorders

You can use vouchers exactly as you are trying to do. There are some people that ED and link are helping out that lost money due to past projects led by another person. To make sure there are funds to actually make the Pyra those special cases have to wait to use the vouchers related to those other projects for their Pyra.
[doublepost=1469519084,1469518910][/doublepost]And to be more clear in what you are trying to do, PayPal does not permit preorders, so the only way to preorder with PayPal is to use shop vouchers purchased with PayPal to pay for the preorder. Again, everything should be fine with the way you are doing it.

thanks for the explanation! :D

Hi there, I want to preorder the Pyra on DragonBox, but I have a question. I ALWAYS prefer to use PayPal when buying stuff online, however the FAQ specifically mentions that PayPal isn't accepted for crowdfunding projects such as this. It also mentions that credit card, bank transfer, and Bitcoins are alternative payments methods that are accepted, however I live in the USA, so there might be overseas charging for some of those options, I'm not sure. I suppose I could always use Bitcoins, but I would have to buy some first, and I have no idea where a reliable place to do that might be... Is anyone else from the USA preordering, and if so, know any reliable payment methods?

Hi there, I want to preorder the Pyra on DragonBox, but I have a question. I ALWAYS prefer to use PayPal when buying stuff online, however the FAQ specifically mentions that PayPal isn't accepted for crowdfunding projects such as this. It also mentions that credit card, bank transfer, and Bitcoins are alternative payments methods that are accepted, however I live in the USA, so there might be overseas charging for some of those options, I'm not sure. I suppose I could always use Bitcoins, but I would have to buy some first, and I have no idea where a reliable place to do that might be... Is anyone else from the USA preordering, and if so, know any reliable payment methods?
The easiest thing would be to buy enough vouchers via Paypal and then to spend those vouchers on the full amount of the Pyra price.

I'm not sure I'd describe that method as easy, but it's been successfully carried out by a number of out US-based brethren, I believe.

Presumably it's not possible to buy vouchers to the exact value of the preorder downpayment, but you can presumably buy slightly over the downpayment amount in vouchers, and use the remainder towards the full payment down the line.

Edit: To be clear, I'm talking about people who've paid for a preorder using vouchers. There shouldn't be a problem if you wait until units are available from stock, and pay the full amount at once, since paypal should permit that type of transaction.

I'm not sure I'd describe that method as easy, but it's been successfully carried out by a number of out US-based brethren, I believe.

Presumably it's not possible to buy vouchers to the exact value of the preorder downpayment, but you can presumably buy slightly over the downpayment amount in vouchers, and use the remainder towards the full payment down the line.

Edit: To be clear, I'm talking about people who've paid for a preorder using vouchers. There shouldn't be a problem if you wait until units are available from stock, and pay the full amount at once, since paypal should permit that type of transaction.
Okay, so I'm still a little confused about how the "vouchers" work. I read that AFTER spending the downpayment for the Pyra on Dragonbox, should you want to spend more, (towards the final price, of course) you can do so using the vouchers, which you will be able to redeem for the Pyra at that point. That being said, are you telling me that I can pay for the vouchers directly, (using PayPal) and then IMMEDIATELY put them to use for the preorder downpayment, AND still get on the list of preorders?

Yes. A voucher is just a gift voucher from the shop. You receive a gift code which can be used for anything. The Pyra voucher itself is also only a gift code - it's just called that so that I know what unit you'd like to get.

These voucher codes can be used immediately for anything you buy at the shop. You can even give these to someone else if you want to donate it to someone.

You can use them immediately for anything. It's like a shop currency :)

You could even use the Pyra voucher to preorder a GPD Win, it's in no way limited.
If a gift voucher is not fully used, you can use the remaining amount any time later for any other product.

And dit you decided yet, how do whe chose our Pyra Colour??
And much more important:
I have Preepreeorder Number 28, and Preeordered a 4G 4GB Unit,
So somethimes mid - end September, there is a Massproduktion and you put all unit in your shop.., then they will become stock and whe can buy our actual units by using the voucher and pay the rest??

So will the a Serial Number 28 PCB Lying on your shelf, and you will then put it in a Case Collour i decided on my buying process??

Or will you just make diverent 4G 4GB Units whitout Serial Number Sticker, and put then the "Sticker 28" on my Pyra??

Yes. A voucher is just a gift voucher from the shop. You receive a gift code which can be used for anything. The Pyra voucher itself is also only a gift code - it's just called that so that I know what unit you'd like to get.

These voucher codes can be used immediately for anything you buy at the shop. You can even give these to someone else if you want to donate it to someone.

You can use them immediately for anything. It's like a shop currency :)

You could even use the Pyra voucher to preorder a GPD Win, it's in no way limited.
If a gift voucher is not fully used, you can use the remaining amount any time later for any other product.
Awesome, thank you very much for all of the info! And I'm sure you get this a lot, but it can't be expressed enough; thanks for all of the hard work and dedication that you put into...well...EVERYTHING!! It's because of you, EvilDragon, that any of this is even possible.

True, but if the voucher would be fixed to the Pyra, I would have to charge VAT which would make things a lot more complicated.

EvilDragon, hello good Sir. After reading I'm still confused. I just preordered (or so I thought) a Pyra. I used the link which took me to DragonBox.de and I made an account and paid for a US unit via MasterCard. I was billed 400 euro but I thought I read that only a down payment was necessary?? Anyways I paid in full and got my gift voucher.

Do I need to do anything now? Is my unit preordered or do I have to use this voucher in another "order" to preserve my Pyra. Most confusing ordering system I've ever been a part of. I even read all the disclaimer at DragonBox and it didn't prepare me for this.

Please instruct...

Im not evildragon, but as far as i understand,
The prozess will be:
Pyras will be mass produzed, then they will come available in shop for the final order
There you can order your unit, decide your collor and accessorys, and put your voucher code in and then pay the rest of the price
So aktually there are 2 Stepps in Preeorderprozess..

Im one of the insane which took a "Preepreeorder" and whe will get 3 Stepps:
First bought the Preepreeorder Voucher, used it for a Preeorder Voucher (and decided if it will be Wifi or 4G) and then the main order prozess..

Yepp its a bit complicaded, but well, at least where Linux Experts (unless me) who shouldnd have problem whit complicaded things..

EvilDragon, hello good Sir. After reading I'm still confused. I just preordered (or so I thought) a Pyra. I used the link which took me to DragonBox.de and I made an account and paid for a US unit via MasterCard. I was billed 400 euro but I thought I read that only a down payment was necessary?? Anyways I paid in full and got my gift voucher.

Do I need to do anything now? Is my unit preordered or do I have to use this voucher in another "order" to preserve my Pyra. Most confusing ordering system I've ever been a part of. I even read all the disclaimer at DragonBox and it didn't prepare me for this.

Please instruct...
The 400€ is the Downpayment...

The final price is mentioned on the main page, the product page and the Preorders FAQ page... I'm not sure how to make it less confusing. It should be clear if the text is being read... but improving the text also won't help if it's not being read :/

This is my understanding of ordering a Pyra:

Pre-preorder
270€, can become (+130)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Preorder 400€

This gives a code, for a produced unit

Then you place Downpayment (+345€)

You will have paid 745€ and in this case get a 4GB mobile unit.

Ram, LTE capability and region are the things you need to pick. The price varies with the different options.

Shipping
isn't gratis, and not fully negotiated, assume a ballpark figure from Germany to where you live.

The reason it is that way is because, lots of people kept asking to order, before the preorder stage, which ED didnt want to launch till things were ready to go. They sold out, and only give you, once made into a preorder a spot earlier in the queue. So no penalty for joining late.

I dont think there is even a monetary penalty for buying units from stock in the future. This is what profits will go towards. So make of that what you wish, but when things are nice and open, you have to add value where you see value. Preordering now is better for ED and community.

Preorder price is made based on calculations of volume and production cost.

Production is tiered into low volume handsoldered prototypes, then several different trial runs, and then production runs.

The numbers are based on economy of scale, tuning the production process and need for pyras in the wild.

Last edited:
Ah OK well I apologize to you guys. I placed my order really late last night and I don't think my brain processed everything completely. Should stop ordering expensive items when I'm half awake!

Anyways, just so we are on the same page now...
I'm assuming, in the future I'll get an email stateing they are ready and that's when I'll go back to DragonBox.de and use my down payment voucher and in addition, add in the rest of the units cost? Then it will be shipped?

Thanks for bearing with me everyone.

Does anyone know, are we able to request a refund on the pre-order, or is it like the iCP2 or kickstarter where we just have to accept we might not get a product?

If requesting refunds is allowed, is the normal "contact us" link ok to use on Dragonbox?

I am quite sure the project will succeed in the end, but my circumstances have changed a bit. I was one of orders in the first 24hours of official standard pre-orders.

Thanks again to everyone working on pyra.

Back