We Are Still Doing The Boards+Population In The Usa, But It Looks Like

I have to admit that it'd work in German too, but it would be a sub-terrestrially low pun :lol:

mali said:
I have to admit that it'd work in German too, but it would be a sub-terrestrially low pun :lol:
There are other kinds of puns? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Poem58 said:
Yes, I did actually, and if you read my post I never asked about the boards or the components on them. I was referring to the nubs, the buttons, all the remainder of parts that were said to have been sent to the factory for Pandora creation Months ago. Not the Components for board population.
I see now that someone else asked the same thing, however they got an answer, you say they will ship it with the boards. So now back to my original questions. One of which has been answered, all the screens, nubs, "THE PARTS" for the Pandora's are in Texas and have to be shipped back, and you suppose they will ship back with the boards, so do you expect all parts to ship at once when they send you the first 1000 boards? Or will they send only some of the parts? What is their plan for creating the other 3000 boards since they will not be doing that as they build Pandora's anymore? Or we wait until they ship 4000 boards and the parts and all ships together?

Like I said, I just want to make sure the parts get back quick and safe and no more delays will be had due to lost or damaged parts. Assembly by the team is an economically savvy move and I think will ensure greater care in creation. it just seems that there is always something though and while these parts still have to endure transit, more problems could arise. Just imagine if a box of nubs never makes it back overseas or something. Then we'd really see a delay. So that's why I was asking where they were and if the team would tell us when they all arrived safely.

EDIT EDIT: Also ED or CRAIG, do either of you know if anytime you have ever shipped a purchased device to the US (IF YOU HAVE) if there have ever been a customs charge, the customs thread was a long time ago and basically concluded with "No one knows for sure and it may cost as much as XXX which If I remember was around 30% which could be a huge charge so it's be nice to know if you know of a customs charge at all.
Thanks.

Not only that, but if, say, all of the screens ship with the first 1000 boards, if things run ahead of schedule (hmmmm) they could potentially start putting cases around the screens, pending attaching to the boards, when they arrive, instead of sitting around and twidling thumbs.

I second the customs question. Wasn't that part of the point of shipping from the respective countries, as originally mentioned?

the customs charge discussion has taken place in the past it was something to do with Courier

I think they resolved it as it held up the original case shipments

Yep - it probably does cost em every time something is sent from one place to another - it's protectionism pure and simple

second exodous said:
The people in Texas are nice though. I hate airports because everyone are jerks and make you feel like a terrorist when searching your bags but in the Dallas Fortworth airport it's all smiles and light chat even when they look through your stuff. Sometimes I think 'Am I still in the US?'
You must be white.

(Zing! Take that Texas!)

Na-Noo said:
Sorry not read the thread, but am I to believe that we're back on - people can come and help?
Last time that came up, after a while it was then said it was a comment not something that was meant to be taken too seriously and was not feasible. So now it's feasible, what's changed apart from it not being assembled in the factory?
I was wondering about the same thing.

Sphinxter said:
Hand assembled in England, it'll truly be the Rolls Royce of handhelds now.

Rolls Royce? I was hoping for something a little more sporty. A Triumph, perhaps.

... but, uh, with working electricals.

VRAndy said:
Sphinxter said:
Hand assembled in England, it'll truly be the Rolls Royce of handhelds now.

Rolls Royce? I was hoping for something a little more sporty. A Triumph, perhaps.

... but, uh, with working electricals.

Ah yes, Joseph Lucas, Prince Of Darkness, forgot about him, been a long time since my Triumph Bonneville.

Dont know if the chef of Rolls Royce assembled his Cars by his owne hand, that mean the Pandora is more exclusive than a Rolls Royce.. :lol:

benji_stein said:
I second the customs question. Wasn't that part of the point of shipping from the respective countries, as originally mentioned?

Certainly a large benefit of having them assembled in Texas, for Americans, would have been that the packages didn't cross to England and then back to the USA again (customs both ways). This was considered a bonus originally - a "gee whiz, we can do this really neat thing to be nice to USA customers on top of the Pandora itself!".

OpenPandora have no control over customs or import taxes or indeed couriers that tend to overcharge on behalf of customs, just to make sure you're paying enough. They don't highlight the risks, but nor are they responsible for them. I have had to pay when importing things from America several times, and it sucks, but it's not the vendor to blame - it's the couriers and my own country's import regulations.

RajTakhar said:
the customs charge discussion has taken place in the past it was something to do with Courier

I think they resolved it as it held up the original case shipments

Yep - it probably does cost em every time something is sent from one place to another - it's protectionism pure and simple

No I wasn't shipping parts from country to country and was part of the large thread about customs. It was about the likelihood of getting your Panda stopped by customs and given a customs fee or import tax or whatever one wants to call it. By the end of the discussion it was determined that the Pandora's were going to be made in Texas and would not for sure but likely be sent from the Factory to the US customers. UK customers were to be spared the same fee if I recall because the Units going there were to be shipped together avoiding the fees as already paid and shipping as part of manufacturing. It had once been suggested that the US orders would be shipped the same way back to the US to be distributed avoiding the fee again if they were made in the UK. But now it needs to be brought back up as things have changed and it would nice to have some info to go on. I'd like to know how likely it is that their is going to be additional costs BEFORE I get stuck with them and cannot pay them. I could not handle a $150 bill right now, and do not want to cancel based on a fear if it has no merit. I want my Panda to much to do that. But if it's likely, I may have to go cry in the closet for a couple of days, but at least I won't have the government on my case.

I don't think I'm asking to much to know if the guys who ship stuff ever knew if anyone got a customs fee for something they sent or if anyone knows for sure what the rules/likelihood of such things are. Some people say they never get a charge, some do. Anyone know when, why, if, what, etc?

I believe they don't have to pay customs from Texas to the UK because the device is for sale later, and it's part of the manufacturing process, at least I seem to remember that being mentioned.

I also agree that the webcam idea should be done.

cbox said:
I believe they don't have to pay customs from Texas to the UK because the device is for sale later, and it's part of the manufacturing process, at least I seem to remember that being mentioned.

that's what I was saying, so if they mail each individual Pandora to US customers, the talk before the Texas assembly was that they might get a customs fee when entering, unless they had them shipped back to the US from the UK all together for shipment. Also it was mentioned that the customs fee could be a rather high percentage, I don't remember what exactly just that it was possibly as much as $150. No one ever really determined how likely it was for this to happen and I don't recall any of the team making any comments at all. Which is why I would appreciate if Craig or ED could comment on if they know if anyone has ever gotten this fee when they have sent a device, IF they have shipped to the US before.

so like how many cases have been made so far at the factory, are they shipping them in batches or when all 4k are done? how soon until they ship? what's taking so long now the cases are finally green lit???

mali said:
Just thinking, supposedly it will be an incredibly great experience, assembling the first batch with the other dudes from the team :D
Drinking a beer at the end of the workday and getting rid of the stress while talking about all the shit that happened.

End of the day? This is CraigX we're talking about so it will probably be more like the beginning of each day. :lol:

---

Can I have mine autographed with a silver permanent marker please:
sharpie-stainless-steel-300x225.jpg

My order number is . . .

Attachments

• sharpie-stainless-steel-300x225.jpg
    sharpie-stainless-steel-300x225.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 93
Back