We Are Still Doing The Boards+Population In The Usa, But It Looks Like

Vorporeal said:
@Poem: Sorry again. I try to be very understanding about these things - many people on these forums don't speak English as a primary language, and many barely speak it at all. For those who truly lack the knowledge of the language or ability to express themselves, I understand. I just feel to an extent that if someone can spend an extra 2-3 minutes making their posts a bit more readable (spacing, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc), that saves a hundred or so people 2-3 minutes reading that post. I see it, in a way, as a courtesy to others - I try to make my posts as clear and readable as possible so that other people don't have to waste time figuring out what I meant to say *coughcraigcough*. Pressing enter every 4 sentences or so is quite easy and does WONDERS for making posts easier to read. (Again, no hard feelings or criticisms, just comments and an attempt to illustrate my own sentiments on the issue.)

Dude, I totally understand, I'm not upset with you. I'll bet you never noticed, but I'll bet 99.5% of everything I have ever posted has the "edited by" thing below, what you are getting IS after I do all my proof reading and fixing. Which is sad, cause it used to be nothing for me to get an A+/A+ on an in class impromptu essay. Now I have to edit the crap out of stuff, just to be good enough to make them criticize me. it's really embarrassing. And this ^%&^% glued together keyboard doesn't help, I'm hoping the thumb typing makes it easier enough for me so I can spend more time thinking about formatting and less on correcting my typing and getting all the characters to show up enough for spell check to even work. (I'm also real bad with transpositions)

I guess some of my frustrations about waiting for the Pandora stem from the wait giving me less time to use it before I may lose the ability to actually play it. The touchscreen will really extend that, which is real nice. Also I have a bad tendency to type quick before I lose what I was thinking about, so I type faster which get's the idea's out but in horrible shape. But hey what can you do? I've tried to go slower here, but just realized I'm late! I have to get to the hospital by 8 A.M. It's 40 minutes away and 7:15! Later!

Last edited by a moderator:
RenegadeChic said:
Poem58 said:
back to topic:
You know where you can put that violin.
:) i think it was there already. i hope you read my edit above ^^

Sorry, in a hurry as I posted at the end of my last post. I meant to hit :D but missed. Please forgive. That's why when I started to write something nasty, I took it out. I had a feeling you were trying to get my goat. :D

Poem58 said:
It frustrates you that people can be this cold.

A thought, if I may. I've limited time so I'll try to be quicker than the sub-topic warrants IMHO.

I'll also probably use cliches and stereotypes, not because they are so incredibly accurate but because they are so incredibly convenient as shorthand to "get the job done", which I need for this post like few others.

I like to TRY and think of everyone on The Internet as being in some way mentally ill, and possibly physically ill as well. Partly this is because the Net attracts several stereotypical "types" of person - including people who don't mix well with others, or are agoraphobic, or what have you. Picking on them because of their frailties isn't nice BUT - and it's a big but - SOME of these sterotypical people with mental/developemental shortcomings have a type of shortcoming that, in and of itself, makes them less considerate of others. They tend to have an attention deficit disorder, and a very narrow focus, and probably have no intent to hurt others or even knowledge that they have done so unless/until it is pointed out to them (and sometimes not even then). Often they come across as jerks as a result, though it's purely as a result of medical issues rather than hurtful intent.

So, to a degree, I'm suggesting that people who attack apparently without caring those who are disadvantaged often do so because they are themselves disadvantages, just in a different way. This is THEIR disability - the inability to empathise with their correspondants :(

There are many variations on the theme, but my message is basically "be of good cheer - and give others the benefit of the doubt, when you can, that their behaviour may also be the result of their own difficulties". In this context, an excess of alcohol is NOT considered a disability. Many people with minor disabilities have often progressed into adulthood without even being diagnosed - for example, I haven't been diagnosed of dyslexia or any associated issue, but you should see my posts before editing!

THE WORD QUOTE: - A "quote" or "quotation" is exactly the way it is worded in the UK when one person or company makes an offer of providing a service or equipment for a sum of money, and they specify what the services/goods are and what recompense they are asking. Sometimes a first quote is the only quote, sometimes it is the start of a process to find a compromise position that both sides are happy with. The "quote" is invariable written down rather than verbal, often on a form that looks very similar to an invoice (although this practise is becoming rarer witht he advent of the internet, and quotes moving to a less formal email format).

So ED is implying that they had no idea that the Texans would charge so much for the job, as they have only confirmed a price recently. Make of that what you will.

well said monk. i would also add that the world isnt a perfect place and especially in the intelligent (and i would expect to include all of us gaming/internet geeks in there) depression is pretty common to varying degrees. the computer industry is over subscribed and its not easy to make a living from something you are an expert at. there is anger and sadness and negativity in many peoples lives and that will reflect on the way we react to a situation. these feelings do create the positive vs negative dichotomy that we occasionally have here but we could all do better to try and bridge the gap. negative people be more positive, positive people be less... zealous? i dont think anyone has blinkers on so there isnt really the need to patronise each other.

all for the good feeling, man

Monk said:
I like to TRY and think of everyone on The Internet as being in some way mentally ill, and possibly physically ill as well. Partly this is because the Net attracts several stereotypical "types" of person - including people who don't mix well with others, or are agoraphobic, or what have you. Picking on them because of their frailties isn't nice BUT - and it's a big but - SOME of these sterotypical people with mental/developemental shortcomings have a type of shortcoming that, in and of itself, makes them less considerate of others. They tend to have an attention deficit disorder, and a very narrow focus, and probably have no intent to hurt others or even knowledge that they have done so unless/until it is pointed out to them (and sometimes not even then). Often they come across as jerks as a result, though it's purely as a result of medical issues rather than hurtful intent.

So, to a degree, I'm suggesting that people who attack apparently without caring those who are disadvantaged often do so because they are themselves disadvantages, just in a different way. This is THEIR disability - the inability to empathise with their correspondants :(

There are many variations on the theme, but my message is basically "be of good cheer - and give others the benefit of the doubt, when you can, that their behaviour may also be the result of their own difficulties". In this context, an excess of alcohol is NOT considered a disability. Many people with minor disabilities have often progressed into adulthood without even being diagnosed - for example, I haven't been diagnosed of dyslexia or any associated issue, but you should see my posts before editing!

Recently, a girl(1) I know mentioned to me that she had felt repeatedly bullied by me throughout the time we've known eachother. When I asked her to give some concrete examples, she just said that she didn't think much of it, since it was "Just Nils, nothing to care or do about it". I never meant to actually hurt her in any way, and I have always thought "well she probably doesn't care", when I say something that might be a bit over the edge.
However, some other girl(2) I knew didn't take the same aproach, and would see on anything I said as a direct attack and insult to her.
I've later come to a sort of conclusion that the reason I said all these bad things to girl 1 was that I was so tired and full of girl 2, and was in need of letting some of that anger out, but the way society and her(2) reactions work, my only option was to let it out on girl 1, since she was "ok with it".

Another thing about the internet is the lack of ability to articulate any kind of inflection. so much can be determined by just the tone of a voice. I could give my wife a compliment and say it in a tone that says "I'm mad" or "I don't mean it" etc. Online you can say the kindest most intelligently thought out and written paragraph, and there is still likely someone, who will misinterpret what you say or mean by it. If anything I just hope this little incident will show we need to cut some slack with people unless we know. It'd be best to tell someone in a PM if there is an issue so it doesn't make them feel bad.

Even if nothing is intended to be taken bad, it sometimes can. we have definitely seen that over the last year. sorry I got upset. It's been a tough morning and on top of it I hate my keyboard, I seriously need to find a replacement. So all the letters I type show up and capitals will capitalize. that would help me focus a bit more on what I'm saying, and all the edits are driving me crazy. I usually end up editing about 5 times just to correct spelling etc. Let alone sentence structure, by the time I'd do that, 3 more pages of posts would be made, which is why i quit trying...lol

I'm not mad, it's over. If anything I'm a little embarrassed to have said as much as I did.

Now I'm gonna leave this thread and go back to the other one to see if anyone has figured anything more out about the shipping and stuff, and let this thread go back on course or fade away.

Poem58 said:
Mjlink said:
I find you a tough read bro. Just being honest here, I skip your posts, lack structure, transition, etc.

Not trying to be a dick.

Peace & Mango,

Link

EDIT: On topic: I've imported a lot of $300-$500 Minidisc recorders from Japan and never had any customs issues. I've also shipped in excess of $10,000 of mindisc recorders overseas or to Canada and never had any complaints through Ebay. Most transactions were under $300, no complaints from my customers.

That's cool. I've been told being on 90mg of Oxycodone and 90mg of Morphine a day plus other crap, it's rather amazing I'm coherent at all. Never felt like that made me less allowed to ask questions or continue to want to have a feeling of normalcy. guess I have to remember that on the internet people have a tendency not to care what might be wrong physically or anything with people. hell I have seen people bash people with mental retardation issues, only because they never took the time to think that if someone can have a sensible thought but has issues getting it out, it may be because they have a problem they must just be lazy. It's like everyone thinks to do or say anything you have to be a GD English major (or even know English at all, which is why I applaud those who try even though they can't do it well at times). what do you all think that if someone has issues typing, spelling or structuring sentences it's just that are stupid or just don't try or something, please help me understand? I didn't go to college, have some issues and bad equipment. Not much of an excuse but I am what I am. Pretty damn insulting to have to explain that all the time. And I consider myself lucky, I feel for those who have worse issues than me, no wonder some people are afraid to leave their homes. People constantly have to pick on your faults even if you are on the internet. it's nothing personal to you either, just a damn shame people have to pick out your faults all the time like they themselves are perfect in every way. I've looked over many of my posts for the last year, not seeing what's so hard to follow. Oh, I see my paragraphs were a bit unbalanced as I edited in things. What's my frickin' order number?

Vorporeal, thanks for that, but as I said I do the best I can. It's kind of hard sometimes to come back and read a question you asked and you don't even know what you wrote. Which I have done, however I haven't said anything unintelligible just maybe bad formatting, but again, didn't know I was being graded. :p Maybe I really should quit. Cause I can't be what I am not and don't really want to spend the rest of my days explaining away why my formatting is off.It's embarrassing enough in the real world to deal with these issues life has hit me with. If I have to go through this online all the time from now on, I really won't have anything to do, and what's the point then?
In regards to all those meds your on, its a shame you are in Ohio and I'm sorry you're in a condition that leaves you needing pharmaceuticals. When I was in elementary school, I couldn't write in cursive well. It got to the point where teachers would let me print regular english. I was great in all other subjects but handwriting. Eventually the grading was removed from the curriculum as time progressed. Typewriters became computers and now I can communicate better.

Communicating better doesn't take a degree. I've worked for Network Solutions where I would have to talk with people from all over the world regarding support for their email/website/hosting. I would get information so quickly sometimes that I would open or keep open something like notepad for my thoughts or information that I didn't want to forget but didn't want to put into a Service Request until after the conversation. Sometimes I would just have to focus on what they were saying and stop multi-tasking, it wasn't always foreign people providing communications barriers either. I've also been hearing impaired since 1996 (tinnitus & significant hearing loss) so talk about stress. My point here was that every call had to be structured and was potentially being recorded for job performance/evaluation etc. Voice & screenshots were recorded.

I said I skipped over your posts, not all of them, just the 3 super long paragraph types. Communication here can be quite frustrating, but don't give up. Keep communicating, if you don't want to conform you don't have to. KISS Keep it short & simple.

Speaking of Kiss, I'd kiss that Budweiser bottle, but probably would spit out the beer (unless its the real Czech Budweiser Budvar).

PM me if you would like to discuss an alternative to those meds.

Peace & [ spam word ],

Link
EDIT: [spam word = med i cine]

NLS said:
Monk said:

Recently, a girl(1) I know mentioned to me that she had felt repeatedly bullied by me throughout the time we've known eachother. When I asked her to give some concrete examples, she just said that she didn't think much of it, since it was "Just Nils, nothing to care or do about it". I never meant to actually hurt her in any way, and I have always thought "well she probably doesn't care", when I say something that might be a bit over the edge.
However, some other girl(2) I knew didn't take the same aproach, and would see on anything I said as a direct attack and insult to her.
I've later come to a sort of conclusion that the reason I said all these bad things to girl 1 was that I was so tired and full of girl 2, and was in need of letting some of that anger out, but the way society and her(2) reactions work, my only option was to let it out on girl 1, since she was "ok with it".

1239018815584.png

Attachments

• 1239018815584.png
    1239018815584.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 99
Poem58, if it makes you feel better, people on internet forums constantly complain about my posts being too long and verbose. I also get complaints at work sometimes ;D So a college education doesn't really do a lot to remedy this sort of thing, even though the essay part of the GRE was actually my best section >_>

I think if anything your posts just suffer from the same qualities that people don't like in mine. I don't personally find you very difficult to understand.

@Poem58 I read posts by anyone I think has something to say or is interesting, including yours. Just keep saying what you need to say. I even read Exophase's when I haven't got a clue what he's talking about - that's because one day some of his knowledge may rub off and I might understand a liuttle more than I do today.

The only simple rule I can give is insert paragraphss as it enables the eyes to follow with less effort otherwise people give up. Eveb if you dont't know where to put a paragraph just stick one in every four lines or so.

Poem58 said:
Tokiopop said:
Poem58 said:
there's nothing wrong with my English, so whatever. None of us here are trying to impress an English teacher or get an "A" on our essay.
No but we do like to be easily able to read long posts :p

No offence.

OK. Sorry, but fair is fair. Do you mean:

No, but we do like to be easily able to read long posts. :p

No offense.

:p
Just so you know, "offence" is British English.

limetang said:
Just so you know, "offence" is British English.

Surely "offence" is English;
"offense" is American English.

Sorry, I've forgotten what we were talking about...

Back