What a day! (2011-12-14)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Whew - what a day.

Prototype production run

It started with some bad news: Micron didn't deliver the samples of the RAM as promised (should've been delivered last week), and without the RAM, we couldn't do the prototype run.

So both Global Components and me had our hands full to organize that RAM chip to be able to do the prototype run.

And we managed to get some.

Global Components found a distributor in US who had some parts left and ordered them express. They should arrive on Friday, latest Monday.

Well, and I contacted Nikolaus from the GTA04 team - they are using the same memory as we are and I know their production run starts early next week as well.

He has some spare RAM chips for us - so they're being picked up tomorrow morning (the company where he is doing the production isn't that far away, thankfully).

The parts from Texas have arrived at EBV / AVNet (the distributor) in the meantime and will be delivered tomorrow morning between 9 and 10 am at GC as well.

I think AVNet already checked the parts for completeness, so we should have all we need tomorrow.

As programming and loading the machines with parts takes quite a while (about 8 hours), the production run itself has been rescheduled for Friday, but preparing and loading will happen tomorrow.

My contact from Global Components will visit me tonight to grab some of the PCBs from GC, as that will speed up the programming and creating the solder profile.

(It's 8pm here, and it's a 1 hour drive, so I think it's pretty awesome he does that!).

So, whew, this was one fast solution. It did cost us some nerves, but we managed to get it done so far.

Even more bad news

While this caused me quite some stress today, it wasn't the worst message I received.

The worst message I received today was from an ICQ contact.

One of our fellow Pandora community members has been murdered a few weeks ago.

He already had a GP2X and was one of the very first preorderers from Germany.

He didn't have an account at these boards, but he was known as jonai on the German boards and on gp32x.de.

The (german) article about his death can be found here.

So, why am I posting this?

Not just because it makes me very sad - but also because the police is currently looking for clues to find out who did it.

While I am supporting them as good as I can, I didn't have much contact with him.

But maybe someone from the community was in close contact with him or has any other information where he can help out?

Please do contact me in case you might have some information, as I'm in contact with the police in Leipzig already to try to help them.

Thanks.

Let's think about him for a minute. As far as I was in contact with him, he was a very nice and helpful person. And it's always a loss seeing someone leave us early.

Especially if it was such a horryfing death like this.

Last edited:
This is indeed sad and disturbing news. Especially at this time of the year it puts your daily problems into perspective, and reminds you how fragile life is. (And appearantly also the truth)

Didn't know the guy, but this is a death that nobody deserves.

I consider writing an article about his faults to be rather tasteless and disrespectful towards his family and friends who already suffer for their loss. I don't care about any faults he may or may not have had and refuse to read such unprofessional journalism.

I consider writing an article about his faults to be rather tasteless and disrespectful towards his family and friends who already suffer for their loss. I don't care about any faults he may or may not have had and refuse to read such unprofessional journalism.
Yeah the media nowadays have zero social consience.

Man, that's horrific news. My condolences to his family, may his soul rest in peace.

On the topic of RAM, it's nice to hear hardware developers helping each other out. Kinda brings hope that there's enough people out there doing amazing things without huge corporate backing. :)

Yeah the media nowadays have zero social consience.

It wasn't even a fault.

He liked Anime and Cosplaying - and yeah, doing cosplay includes wearing weird costumes.

But that's a nice hobby in my opinion. I can imagine it's fun, but I lack the time and / or money.

It wasn't even a fault.

He liked Anime and Cosplaying - and yeah, doing cosplay includes wearing weird costumes.

But that's a nice hobby in my opinion. I can imagine it's fun, but I lack the time and / or money.
That's even worse. To attack someones character just because you don't understand or agree with his hobby. Nothing wrong with cosplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is terrible there is nothing wrong with cosplaying people can do what they want in their free time

but murder is always horrible

Resquiescat in pace. (Rest in peace.)

Murders are horrible, it's been said. There are no good reasons for a murder. Period.

Good luck for the production run! I'm pretty sure it'll go well. :)

This is a really horrifying crime.

I didn't know him, except for maybe reading a post of him or two.

That makes me really sad.

And as said Bild and other popular daily newspapers in germany shouldn't write in such a style.

There was a guy in a club, I was in, too and did the website for.

One night he had a really big car accident and the other day the local newspaper ripped his pictures from our website and writing bullshit all about it. Completely ignoring copyright and stuff.

So I can understand the letter. Also nothing wrong with uncommon hobbies.

May the family, friends and everybody who knew and loved him be well.

My deepest condolences.

Edit: Completely forgot about the good news :(

Great to hear, that everything is going well and looking forward to the prototyperun.

Nice to hear, that you have some friends, that can even help you out with hardware :)

Such a sad story :(

He seemed like a pretty bro guy, I wish I could've gotten to know him.

My condolences go to his friends and family.

And as for the other news, good luck ED!

Back