A fresh new start, Part 2 (2011-07-12)

To Evildragon... I know off topic... Tried to PM you about an RMA ... ???

I know, it's not lost :)

Still way behind with my PMs and mails. Just going to repair about 5 Pandoras right now, will try to reply to all PMs and eMails until early next week.
Hi ED

Your English is amazingly good(no doubt better than mine) but I have noticed a few times you have put until when it should really be by,

Such as if you are planning on replying to all PMs and emails before early next week you would say

" will try to reply to all PMs and eMails by early next week."

Not wanting to offend just thought you would be interested.

Im glad you have changed companies just hope people in the queues dont suffer too much.

Your English is amazingly good(no doubt better than mine) but I have noticed a few times you have put until when it should really be by,
The until/by debate has caused a lot of confusion in the past. Basically, that is how German (and Dutch, and several other such languages) are structured. It may sound weird when translated directly to English like that, but it is entirely natural for them. It may seem like you're just asking for them to change one word, but really you're actually asking them to modify the way they think. It's probably easier (and arguably better in the name of tolerance and education) to accept this as one of the idiosyncrasies of a cross culture internet than to try and change it. :)

Since we're rebooting with another company - any chance the batch 2 Pandoras could have an updated WiFi replacement chip with better throughput, range and maybe 802.11n?

Could that be done without radically redesigning the motherboard?

I.e. fix this little annoyance issue - if it can be changed inexpensively, there is no reason batch 2 should have to suffer with this chip/solution as us early batch 1 did/are.
I agree with this and possible DM3730 upgrades in principle, but I doubt a wireless fix is easily possible. RF stuff is really a black art, and as far as I can tell, it's a lot easier to screw up the antenna design than for the chips to be at fault. This would mean changing that part of the design, which takes some trial and error and may be hard to do, given the tight space inside the Pandora. I'm just completely guessing here though, so it may be best to wait for MWeston to talk about this.

Both of these upgrades would also cause some extra work for notaz or someone else to support the different devices present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to know my batch 1 Pandora will get the best possible components, i.e. the rotten PCBs CC manages to cobble function out of. I would have preferred slightly less honesty re: that.

I'd just like to thank you guys for how long you've soldiered on despite the myriad of obstacles that have been put in your way. I got my pandora a few months ago and I've used it pretty much every day since then, you've really done the technology justice in a way pretty much no one has done before. It is a pity that production issues have slowed the production rate of the Pandora to a crawl, but it is good to hear that that may be changing. It is an unfair thing that more people don't have pandoras, but judging from the responses I've gotten from many of the people I've shown mine to, once you begin producing at a serious speed you might sell a lot more units than originally expected.

Nice to know my batch 1 Pandora will get the best possible components, i.e. the rotten PCBs CC manages to cobble function out of. I would have preferred slightly less honesty re: that.

Once the parts are soldered onto the boards and working, there's no difference to any other board out there.

The only thing that oxidates are the contacts where the parts are on. Once they are on and working, there's absolutely no difference to a board without oxidation.

Sounds like they will have to bath them in flux before soldering ;)

I have just an idea regarding the 1000 badly populated pcbs which

needs to be hand fixed and manual check.

If that is true, that some of are missing some simple parts like a resistor,

then basically the job can be done by some untrained person like <b>us</b>!

Get a setup like diybookscanner.org , which basically a stand, light and camera setup

picture those faulty pcb in very high resolution (8+ MP), and put it online.

Also picture a reference pcb to check it against.

I do think many of us willing to devote some time to squize some physical bugs! :)

After all it is not that different than solving captchas:)

If you also announce some bounties, like immediate queue jumping for a successfully found

bug, even more volunteers will appear.

I think some of us can cook up a tiny website where we can comment on each uploaded pcb.

(better to number physically them like #123).

Maybe a bugtracking software (trac ?) is the best suited for it. Or just here on the forum.

Each boards gets its own thread.

Fixing pcbs is really time consuming, but the most time from it is actually catching the bug.

Just an idea.

Best,

Laszlo

all the Gigabyte factory is missing in those supervisors hands are some whips. WTF? How is it those bozos just standing around have mask on while the workers don't?

Back