An appointment and boards shipping (2011-07-22)

Ha! As a day one orderer who canceled my order earlier this summer, see the state of the project today makes me wish I would have canceled sooner. While I did get a refund, I lost about $50 on the deal due to Euro/Dollar currency fluctuations. Will the OP team ever come to a point where the these things are mass produced, will cost less than $500 (a rip off) and dealers can stock then on the shelves? Not bloody likely. Why'd I come back to troll & bitch? I got an e-mail from the message board reminding me you guys existed.

In the end, you're better off buying a modern day, intel atom netbook with an nvidia chipset along with USB controller with numbs if you want portable emulation. I bet that stupid TV out cable still hasnt been produced either.

Want a small portable computer? Check out Raspberry PI for only $25 USD:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Raspberry_Pi

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Nuff Said

Wow that's funny. My Pandora will be here in a week and I bought it on the 21st. The loss due to currency flux is normal so suck it up. Will they come to a point that they will be mass produced? Probably not. Most likely they will be built in greater numbers once they get the issue with the parts manufacturers straight. By the way this issue is by no fault theirs. you would realize this if you stuck around and read up. As for buying any other system, it is like comparing apples and oranges as the architechure is different. The TV out cable is being produced on two fronts but again is not being massed produced as they are being done in free time. you have your attention now and someone to reply to your rant. If you want a chance at a Pandora you can buy this one:

smurfpandora.jpg

Otherwise have a Coke and a smile :blink:

Hm, that got me thinking - we didn't get the TV out cables with our Pandoras, did we? It was supposed to be sent later, right? I've put away my unit since way back and forgot all about the cable.

EDIT: Never mind, found the answer in another (newer) thread, they're not made yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still get some aftermarket ones made by PICA and WizardStan. I'm buying the parts and making my own.

In the end, you're better off buying a modern day, intel atom netbook with an nvidia chipset along with USB controller with numbs if you want portable emulation. I bet that stupid TV out cable still hasnt been produced either.

Want a small portable computer? Check out Raspberry PI for only $25 USD:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Raspberry_Pi

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Intel atom is a piece of crap. Not saying the chipset is also bugged.

And x86 is not a good choice for embedded because of it's power consumption.

Indeed the Pi rocks, but it's not really related to OP as it's only a mobo + SoC.

Indeed the Pi rocks, but it's not really related to OP as it's only a mobo + SoC.
And it's primarily aimed at the education sector, for which they've probably had a great deal of assistance in getting it out of the door at the price-points they'd aimed for.

(I want one, and will be buying one or two on their buy-one-donate-one scheme when they open it up, but it's not at all comparable to the Pandora, as it's blatantly for a different purpose. I bet it would be fun to try to shoehorn it into truly portable form, but it would surely be expensive to do as a one-off. :p I'll probably keep one in my wallet, though.)

for which they've probably had a great deal of assistance in getting it out of the door at the price-points they'd aimed for.
They are far from 'getting it out the door'. Only have a few alpha-boards available atm.

Will probably take until 'batch 2 Pandora' before they will see any first units come out.

Still, I may actually get one, if only for the novelty and the price ;)

^ The alpha boards are a test for full production, and are not available to anyone. ;) My "getting it out of the door" was in the future sense, since it's apparently still scheduled for before the year's end.

I have this doubt that they will encounter as many of the problems that commercial products run into, at any rate, due to this device's origins.

I am still waiting since october 14 2009 for my pandora from the first batch and i still havent gotten it. :( sad face

boy, youre a long ways away from receiving that one, people from 2nd preorder day still havent received one

True. It will take a while to start, but 1000 units per month are possible.
OH GREAT JOB EvilDragon!

way to jinx it once again!

have we learned nothing by now when it comes to giving out dates or numbers?

True. It will take a while to start, but 1000 units per month are possible.
OH GREAT JOB EvilDragon!

way to jinx it once again!

have we learned nothing by now when it comes to giving out dates or numbers?

;) I checked it with the company.

The machine does need 55 hours for the population of all PCBs.

The rest is manpower. And they hire more staff if need be.

Back