What are you playing this weekend/these days?

Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I have been playing the campaigns on and off for 15 years, still haven't finished the Restoration of Erathia. I wonder if I will be able to finish it before I die...
It seems that I'm not the only one who doesn't manage to get through any campaign in Heroes 3 and still tries it again over and over again for 15 years...

My review for "To the Moon":

Calling it a game is not right, it's a narrative that uses game mechanics of the 16 bit era in order to tell it to every person in it's own natural pace.
It's hard for me to write about this, because the topics struck me right to the core since several of my own personal tragedies are reflected in there, but I'll try nonetheless to do it withouth spoilers, because spoilers can surely ruin this piece a bit, because it's all about the story.

No big studio would ever create such a piece of software.
It's made by heart from an obviously emotional person with a good education and an overall good background knowledge. He knew what he was doing and he knew exactly which kind of messages he wanted to send to emotio and ratio as well at the same time.
The characters are diverse and interesting, there are no stereotypes in the game in spite of the topics which would make every other studio use stereotypes.
The narration in combination with the soundtrack is very effective by design and in order to not get too depressed or to have too much tension, there are a few minigames spread throughout the timeline, but nothing that can be in any way frustrating, because this would kill the flow of the story instead of loosening the tension here and there. It works very well.

The reason why I'm giving it a 4 star rating instead of 5 on GoG is simply because GoG lacks the Linux version that I got from Humble Bundle and finished yesterday. I bought it on GoG at some point but the Linux port was never given to us here since the introduction of Linux support on GoG, which is quite sad, hopefully it will come later.

----------------------

After finishing Far Cry (nice guerilla shooter), Hotline Miami (excellent instadeath retro killing spree game) and To the Moon (gosh, this made me cry hard, one of the best storylines in gaming history), I'm currently playing:

Dark Forces (alias Jedi Knight 0)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ti2CGLmMVc?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
On Pandora i'm playing Castlevainia - Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Elemental Gearbolt (PlayStation).

On WiiU i'm playing Shantae & the Pirates Curse.

On PC i'm playing Skullgirls (as usual), Wolfenstien New Order, Eurotruck Simulator 2 and also Tower of Guns.  

220px-Zelda_II_The_Adventure_of_Link_box.jpg

Of all the games and emulators I've been rolling on the Pandora, by far the winner in my books (not including indie greats like Hase) has been Marathon Aleph 1.

Even as a 2.5D shooter it still holds up remarkably well. Im curious as to whether the online component would hold up.

Anyone here interested maybe in a weeknight coop or deathmatch?

FF VII... bought it years ago on PSN to play it on my PSP... which was no pleasure to play at all because of the low resolution. A few weeks ago I bought a used PS Vita so I picked it up again. So far I'm enjoying it quite a lot... but not as much as Crono Trigger or FF VI on the SNES.

DRM free Linux port on highest settings with FXAA:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YIIKM_p1o-I?feature=oembed

It's actually pretty fun and has a nice humour.

The references to other games like Serious Sam and the original Shadow Warrior for example are cute and I've found some cool easter eggs by now (metro station from the original Shadow Warrior, background painted on canvas with a few holes you can look behind, demon bunny chasing me, etc...).

Shadow Warrior 2013 was very nice, I can recommend it. I've been playing so many peaceful puzzle and adventure games in the last time/years that it was quite something different again.

I wish other Havok engine games (Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc...) will be ported outside of Windows too some day.

Since I've been gifted a lot of Linux games on GoG not long ago for helping out with something I just continued with a Dennaton game from 2015 and am quite some levels into it already.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2aohVrE842o?feature=oembed

Good thing that I finished Hotline Miami 1, starting with the second game must be really hard.

It's the only series where being dead with one hit is actually a good design decision imho.

A lot of tension with not too much frustration and neat 80s design with a very good soundtrack.

I especcially like the VHS player like menu and time skipping in this one.

This time it's about several different storylines and not just about two.

The characters you can choose from demand special strategies since their items and skills are vastly different.

That's some hardcore stuff for thrill-seeking adrenaline junkies right there, Striku...

I recently bought Syberia for Android. Shitty game (CBA to elaborate), shitty port (crashes on Note 3) and thus a complete waste of money.

Tried Tanks of Freedom last night. Studders quite a lot when zoomed in, while zoomed out is fluid and the AI is no challenge as far as I've seen. Graphics are kinda convoluted.

Looking forward to Witcher 3 when I get around to that.

I also bought a PS4 game to play at a friend's place: Bloodborne. Good challenge and a beautifully designed game.

I fixed my Dreamcast's wonky power supply and we had a few rounds of 4-players Power Stone! Also that top-down helicopter shooter thingy in which you can turn 360 degrees. Very short but awesome game.

I think I want a Vita, gonna crawl around ebay for a while, maybe find an old OLED one for cheaps.

Back