What OS do you use?

Should I post a poll on Linux usage? If so, should I post it in the Pandora General talk board?

I dual boot Windows 7 (for work and for gaming) and Fedora 14 (for programming and for office style work). Personally, I'm waiting for some alternate operating systems, like JNode and Haiku, to actually become usable.

Should I post a poll on Linux usage? If so, should I post it in the Pandora General talk board?
It's probably more relevant here in Off Topic, no? (I mean, by default, all Pandora users are going to be using Linux on at least one system, right? :p )

I remember that happened a while ago, maybe on gp32x.

It came out something like 50% Windows, 50% Linux, with dual-booters choosing their favorite or most-used OS. For some reason, I don't remember OS X appearing at all. Maybe it was 45 windows, 45 linux, 10 os x.

Last edited by a moderator:
OS's I'm using now:

• Linux Mint
  • Debian
  • Slackware
  • Ubuntu
  • Xubuntu
  • CentOS
  • Fedora
  • DD-WRT
  • Windows XP
  • Mac OS X
  • DOS (I have to upgrade a HDD firmware, first step, install a floppy drive!)

OS's I will be using soon:

• Arch Linux
  • Ångström :)
  • The many OS's of Pandora emulators

Edit: Thought of some more

Dual booting Ubuntu 10.10 and XP, although XP gets very little use. Might try Mint or PinguyOS soon.

What's the ratio here of primary Linux (or derivative) users to primary Windows users? (I use Windows XP.)

OS's I'm using now:

• Linux Mint
  • Debian
  • Slackware
  • Ubuntu
  • Xubuntu
  • CentOS
  • Fedora
  • DD-WRT
  • Windows XP
  • Mac OS X
  • DOS (I have to upgrade a HDD firmware, first step, install a floppy drive!)

OS's I will be using soon:

• Arch Linux
  • Ångström :)
  • The many OS's of Pandora emulators

Edit: Thought of some more

I somewhat doubt that you are actually *using* them. Playing around with? Sure why not, playing around with a new OS is fun. Also, an emulator is not an OS, even if it is ran on a handheld.

As for myself though, I currently have Debian Squeeze on my laptop, with hopes of moving to Sid sometime soon. Not sure if I'm ready for its unstableness yet though... I also will occasionally boot into a Tiny7 version of Windows 7 to play Starcraft 2...

xp and ubuntu 10.10 myself. looking into arch linux, mostly to try to get rid of my linux noob title :p. i would like to get rid of xp altogether, but steam and video editing hold me back. by the by, anybody know of any good video editors for linux? i'll have to wait for valve to fix my steam problem

What's the ratio here of primary Linux (or derivative) users to primary Windows users? (I use Windows XP.)
Ah. That explains all the trolling, how stereotypical.

I, and many of my friends, depend heavily/solely on Linux.

I somewhat doubt that you are actually *using* them. Playing around with? Sure why not, playing around with a new OS is fun. Also, an emulator is not an OS, even if it is ran on a handheld.

OS's I'm using now and where I'm using them:

* Linux Mint - desktop I am using to type this

* Debian - plug computer for offsite backups, scheduled internet radio client

* Slackware - local fileserver, virtual machine server

* Ubuntu - used to be my main desktop O/S for many years, a few installations around the place that I use

* Xubuntu - main desktop for over a year, got a machine here with it

* CentOS - internet web and mail servers

* Fedora - intranet server I built for a client (to replace their Windows Server), samba, scalix, VPN, user accessible backups

* DD-WRT - router, got irssi and rtorrent on it :)

* Windows XP - laptop used currently for DJing

* Mac OS X - development work at the design house (gotta love the meta keys confusion)

* DOS - on boot floppy

Linux is not just for gaming you know?

An O/S ceases to be an O/S when run on an emulator!

I, and many of my friends, depend heavily/solely on Linux.
My case is similar, although I may be unusual here in that I actually know nobody (locally, at least - the internet is a different matter) who uses Windows.

It's all a Linux/Mac OS X mix. Being able to use the same fundamentals with both makes my life considerably easier on the (now very rare) occasions when I'm asked to provide computer help. :p

well i can finally join this thread w/o being too embarrassed, ive finally got my shit in the right condition after a long hiatus, so after finally getting my usb wifi adapter that supports 64bit,and then being pre-occupied with ps3 stuff, i am finally dual booting to ubuntu10.10x64 and win7x64, both are fresh installs, so ive got a lot of work ahead of me to get everything running properly, btw i should really switch to ssd by now, the hdd that my os's are booting from must be at least 5 years old, not even sure if its a 7200 or 5400, and why is flash beign such a pain in the ass on 64bit for me?

^ I gather that, simply put, Flash is a pain on 64-bit. :p

(Cue some smart-alec who quotes this and removes the "on 64-bit" part.)

so its not just me doing something wrong that im not seeing? flash really is a PITA on 64bit?

Back