What Software Do People Want?

KRH said:
If support for USB DVD Drives are good then I want a good DVD/CD Writing Application with Lightscribe support.

Also

-Decent Anti-Virus Software
-Address Book Software
-Alarm Clock Program
-Basic Voice recording program that could be started within a few seconds
Anti-virus software is pretty irrelevant on Linux, unless you're going to be running a mail server or something. I would like to see an alarm clock, though. I suspect voice recording will come preinstalled, given the built-in microphone, and address book software will be available as well.

I suppose the things I want most (non-gaming-related) are a fast web browser, media player, and e-book reader (it would be great if it supported non-DRM'd MS Reader files, since those are what I use most often on my Pocket PC, but txt, HTML, and PRC/PDB are probably the most important. It would be nice if Plucker was supported, too. Add RTF, RB, Mobipocket, and PDF support and you'd have the most widely-compatible ebook reader on any handheld platform, and indeed any platform I know of. Most of those already have free implementations, except MS Reader and perhaps Mobipocket, so I think it would be doable.)

Last edited by a moderator:
-calculator (scientific)
-dictionary (it could use these stardict files)
-pdf reader
-general media reader (for images mostly) with the standard options
-video & audio player
-chat client (pidgin)
-browser (ff, opera)
-ftp client
-graphic program (gimp)
-notepad like app
-wifi tools
-irc client
-apache + php + mysql

Gruso said:
jhoff80 said:
I think before people start working on a comics reader that we need an ebook reader made for it....
I think people can make what they want in whatever order they want. :p

Yeah, I know, my main reason for saying it is really just that I think that it's probably easier to port a text viewer before something that has to display images a certain way.

I don't know how possible this is, but I'm always taking notes on paper for stuff. How likely would it be to get a nice notepad with a lined-paper texture for the background? ;)

You know what else'd be cool is a calculator that supports parentheses and allows you to write in the numbers and whatnot. I can write a lot faster than I can type on a calculator. :)

I thought some of the other suggestions in this thread were so ingenious, I'd relist them for you all to see. Don't worry, I've removed the duplicates so you don't have to be bored with the same old same old.
  • MSN Client
  • chat client (pidgin)
  • irc client
  • Calculator
  • Music Player
  • Video Player
  • Flash (In Web Browser)?
  • Java (In Web Browser)?
  • Text editor
  • notepad like app
  • PDF viewer
  • pdf reader
  • Image viewer
  • graphic program (gimp)
  • general media reader (for images mostly) with the standard options
  • Office docs viewer
  • video & audio player
  • browser (ff, opera)
Let's hear a round of applause for these innovative ideas. ;)
Edit: I thought I'd explain that I'm linking to the sources because there's a limit on how many quotes I can do in a post.

-Rhyming dictionary;
-Some type of notepad with changable colors for text and background;
(I write. It's easier on the eyes to write in bright green on a black background. And more involving, somehow..)

I too think a scientific calculator would be great.

javaJake said:
I don't know how possible this is, but I'm always taking notes on paper for stuff. How likely would it be to get a nice notepad with a lined-paper texture for the background? ;)

You know what else'd be cool is a calculator that supports parentheses and allows you to write in the numbers and whatnot. I can write a lot faster than I can type on a calculator. :)
Thats exactly what my open source calculator can do :)

TheMagnitude said:
Thats exactly what my open source calculator can do :)

Lol, GMTA, evidentally the same minute!

xafier said:
I was wondering what sort of applications people would be wanting on their Pandora aside from the usual emulators, which we all know we want to be able to emulate everything under the sun!

I'm currently contemplating what to develop for the Pandora but I'd like to see what other people would want as I'd much rather concentrate on something that's useful for the whole community.

I was thinking something along the lines of a contacts organizer would be rather handy (for me personally) preferably with the ability to sync with Outlook (or linux equivalent?), I guess along with that would expand into organizer functionality, tasks list etc... the kind of functionality you get on a PDA really...

But I'm open to suggestions :)

By day I'm a lowly C++ developer working on fancy 64bit capable multi-threaded medical analysis software. <_<
1. PIM functionality as mentioned.
2. Mail client.
3. RSS reader
4. Development tools : primarily python and gcc.
5. Decent browser. Flash not required.
edit : 6. Vim

Stuff that will be very useful but which may never appear on Pandora :
Skype and Boingo Mobile.

randomhack said:
Stuff that will be very useful but which may never appear on Pandora :
Skype and Boingo Mobile.
Never say never!

If people can turn a Nintendo DS into a mobile phone and the Pandora is about 6 times better performance wise I think Pandora will be able to do anything.

javaJake said:
A few of those "paperless notepads" have been developed for/ported to the Nokia Itablets already: MaemoPad+, Xournal. So my guess is that getting them to run on the Pandora wouldn't be all that hard (getting rid of the Hildon junk might be the biggest hurdle).

Me, I don't like 'em. I guess I've been spoiled by my Newtons: I expect that, if I write something on a computer screen, it'll just turn itself into text.

That said, MaemoPad+ is nice because it exploits the pressure-sensitivity of the Nokia screens, which makes for a very comfortable sketching pad. Would the Pandora have a similar "hidden" presssure-sensitivity built in perchance?

Some type of diary software/program, Something similar to

dp11_main.gif

Datepad

Which would be great for taking notes during the day (Mainly for taking notes
and cataloguing jobs done throughout the day). I have been looking for
something like this for ages that would run on something as small as the Pandora.

Trooper

Tom` said:
Anti-virus software is pretty irrelevant on Linux, unless you're going to be running a mail server or something.
Some form of protection is still good, if something like the PSP Bricking Trojan came around, that would be 330$ down the drain.

Back