What Software Do People Want?

I'm not too bothered about full P.I.M software, but USB readers for phone sim cards can be bought very cheaply nowadays (only £1 near me) and software that allows simple editing and backup of contact details would be great. Takes too long doing them on the phone itself.
I'd have thought that Nokia would have released software like this for the N-series of tablets, but I've not been able to find any so far :(

KRH said:
Tom` said:
Anti-virus software is pretty irrelevant on Linux, unless you're going to be running a mail server or something.
Some form of protection is still good, if something like the PSP Bricking Trojan came around, that would be 330$ down the drain.

I agree. It's only a matter of time before Linux targeting virus's start to show up in the wild. Sure they won't be able to do much damage to your system when they do but they will still be able to mess it up.
ClamAV should be easy enough to port and it shouldn't be that hard to set it to scan sd cards on insertion + update itself using the daily detection lists on the main site.

Last edited by a moderator:
xafier said:
I was wondering what sort of applications people would be wanting on their Pandora aside from the usual emulators, which we all know we want to be able to emulate everything under the sun!

I'm currently contemplating what to develop for the Pandora but I'd like to see what other people would want as I'd much rather concentrate on something that's useful for the whole community.

I was thinking something along the lines of a contacts organizer would be rather handy (for me personally) preferably with the ability to sync with Outlook (or linux equivalent?), I guess along with that would expand into organizer functionality, tasks list etc... the kind of functionality you get on a PDA really...

But I'm open to suggestions :)

By day I'm a lowly C++ developer working on fancy 64bit capable multi-threaded medical analysis software. <_<
I just had another idea. Why not work on a simple to use interface for managing wifi networks?
Management of wifi is one of the most annoying aspects on desktop linux even though great advancements have been made over the past few years. Something that will let you manage WEP, WPA and WPA2 connections with ease will be great. Unlike desktop linux, you will not have to deal with multitude of partially working wireless hardware. You will have one chip with (hopefully) working drivers so the problem should be simpler.

randomhack said:
I just had another idea. Why not work on a simple to use interface for managing wifi networks?
Management of wifi is one of the most annoying aspects on desktop linux even though great advancements have been made over the past few years. Something that will let you manage WEP, WPA and WPA2 connections with ease will be great. Unlike desktop linux, you will not have to deal with multitude of partially working wireless hardware. You will have one chip with (hopefully) working drivers so the problem should be simpler.
So basically a decent frontend to setup wconfig (I think thats whats used to setup wireless on linux... its been a while since I did it!) that's certainly doable seen as we shouldn't need to worry about driver issues as they'll be coming with the Pandora... but the Pandora team may already be working on it as part of the main OS user interface...

xafier said:
So basically a decent frontend to setup wconfig (I think thats whats used to setup wireless on linux... its been a while since I did it!) that's certainly doable seen as we shouldn't need to worry about driver issues as they'll be coming with the Pandora... but the Pandora team may already be working on it as part of the main OS user interface...
Right now, on my desktop I manage through either gnome network-manager or kde's network manager. There are also tools like wifi-radar that also attempt to provide a GUI. But many times you still have to dig into your /etc/network/interfaces file. This is particularly true if trying to connect to wpa/wpa2 connections. Roaming is also usually a pain particularly if you have edited your config files manually since the configs need to change when you change connections.

But yeah, maybe we should wait for a while for this wireless idea after all. Maybe Pandora team is working on something or maybe wifi-radar or something will work.

- some .NET (mono) and Python IDE, simple for small display and computer, but complex enough for easy bedroom development.
- simple word processor, maybe emacs
- drawing and sketching SW

For me, its:

- A PIM that syncs with something like Google's Calender.
- A great Video/Media Player like Core.
- FULL Java support
- Flash
- Basic 3D Modeling (Wings3D)
- Painting/sketch/animation tools
- IRC/PM
I know there are other Opensource alternatives to Skype but I like and have used Skype for some time now so I would love to see it on the Pandora.

I just thought of a couple more suggestions:
  • Apache w/ PHP
  • PHP command line (php-cli?)
  • PHP-GTK
  • A Snapshot updater
-God Ginrai

Xmoon said:
Exactly this:
http://sciral.com/consistency/

or merged with this:

http://www.traxitall.com/

I would use traxitall with my zodiac but is not compatible. :(

Some way to track habits.

Quoting myself I add:

The wonderful Keynote:

http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html

knt_tree.gif

keynote1.gif

knt_treemenu.gif

It's opensource but built with borland delphi... I supose no hope. :huh:

Edit: Dad-gum quotes AGAIN! :angry:

TheMagnitude said:
Thats exactly what my open source calculator can do :)
I downloaded it, and it took me a moment to realize that it doesn't do handwriting. :p

That's what I meant, but I suppose some sort of hand-recognition software could be paired with something like this.

My wishlist;
- Media Center (A port of Xbox Media Center would be amazing)
- RSS reader
- PDF Viewer/Comic Viewer
- VNC Client
- Bit Torrent Client
- RPG Maker (single player and online multiplayer versions would both be awesome)
- Low resource Programming IDE with support for Python and Java

CyruzDraxs said:
- RPG Maker
You mean A RPG Maker and not the Program with the name RPG Maker, Right?

I want Lemproject ported from the NDS, its a great project but it hasn't been updated for over a year, and has probably been done with by the programmer, maybe someone can continue the project as its not quite perfect and some improvements can be added....though of course just getting a port would be great, i see there is a link for the source.....any takers?!

LemProject

back after a week of backpacking anyway what I would want

Java
Flash--but not needed
Teamspeak(there is a linux version, but It does not seem to be open source..)
MSN client
IRC client
iPod program such as gtkpod
amarok(linux media player) with xine libraries
Firefox 3
optimized video player
maybe a Wine compilation, but not needed
ebook/batched HTML reader(I would not use it, but maybe others might)
libraries for ALL general USB devices
email client
RSS feed sidebar
CPU clocking program with kernel access
Program update manager such as Adept or Synaptics Package manager
GBA SNES & PSX emulator
archive manager
gcc compiler
svn download program

That's about all I can think of right now.

KRH said:
CyruzDraxs said:
- RPG Maker
You mean A RPG Maker and not the Program with the name RPG Maker, Right?

Yeah. The 'official' RPG Maker is closed source, but there is some decent open source alternatives like RPG Toolkit and Verge. I heard Verge was getting ported to the GP2X, so we may see a Pandora version someday.

Pidgin (would be nice)
An EBook reader
Banshee or Exaile or MPlayer (no real preference)
VNC Viewer could be nice especially combined with the TV Out
Firefox
Thunderbird (or the like)
A notepad/organizer type thing
An alarmclock-type thing

I know I'm real specific. lol but i like that list cause i don't really care, i'm open to learning new software.

I hope Wine will be available
for games like d2 :p
or other windows-software

Crasherball said:
I hope Wine will be available
for games like d2 :p
or other windows-software
Not going to happen, Two completely different architectures, One`s Arm (Pandora) and the other is x86 (PC).

d2 ?, Not sure what game that is, But if it`s an old game, And was able to run on a 386 pc, Then you may be in luck, If someone was to port Dosbox to the Pandora. Or if this d2 game is open source, Or has the source available, Then there is a good chance that someone could have a go at porting the actually game.

Trooper

ya its old, it might work over 386emulation

its diablo 2 by the way
needs like 250mhz and bout idk 32ram lol

Crasherball said:
ya its old, it might work over 386emulation

its diablo 2 by the way
needs like 250mhz and bout idk 32ram lol
nope 386 is only 16-40 mHz
go with the PSX version