What's The Most Flexible Portable Controler?

chad78 said:
I just wanted to know what else could have possibly been added to the Pandora. I mean, what other kinds of inputs could have been added?

I've always wondered if a touchpad wouldn't work a lot better if they'd design one where you didn't have to pick your hand up to click. Personally I'd like to try a configuration where the right analog nub was instead a touch pad operated by your thumb where you'd use the shoulder buttons to click. It'd be cool if it was round too so you could touch around the edges (like an ipod wheel) and use it as a steering wheel.

Nothing against the dual analogs, those will be great. I'm just saying it would be a fun experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
i'm not wanting to start a flamewar, either. I'm sorry if I came across rudely. I was just saying I've never understood that side of it - not that it was not a completely valid opinion. It is completely valid - just not one that I have understood personally.
A good way to understand the mouse side of the argument would be to get Bioshock for PC. You can play it with keyboard and mouse, or you can hook up an Xbox360 controller. For me, it is much easier to aim with the mouse.

MagicPants said:
I've always wondered if a touchpad wouldn't work a lot better if they'd design one where you didn't have to pick your hand up to click.

Most trackpads I've used support clicking the trackpad itself. Some, like the ones on my MacBook, even make it where you can "right click" using two fingers instead of one.

You also might want to read up on the Cloudbook. It's a netbook that has the trackpad near the screen, like right under the hinge,. One corner is the trackpad, where you move around the cursor - the other corner is the buttons. It's similiar to what you are talking about. From what I've read, it has not been well received.

I have to say the whole wanting a mouse thing is somewhat moot because I prefer 2d games on portable systems and the dual analogs and touch screen should be great for that.

It's fun when you start thinking about what games you can do well with dual analog. I keep thinking I'd like to make a Castlevania clone where you use the right analog stick to swing your weapons around. Alas I wish I had more time.

MagicPants said:
I have to say the whole wanting a mouse thing is somewhat moot because I prefer 2d games on portable systems and the dual analogs and touch screen should be great for that.

It's fun when you start thinking about what games you can do well with dual analog. I keep thinking I'd like to make a Castlevania clone where you use the right analog stick to swing your weapons around. Alas I wish I had more time.
Descent needs all the axis it can get, I am still trying to get my Spacetec Spaceorb 360 set up (6 axis/3 "sticks" worth)

the "requires dual shock" game for the psx was ape escape, but I think they have ported it to a non-dual-having platform already, so I don't know if it is still required.

speaking of dual-shock, I just modded mine and put the left stick into the D-Pad area (I didn't put the d-pad anywhere because the USB adapter I am using at the moment uses the d-pad as absolute x/y instead of POV, I have a few types of USB adapter here.)

Maybe I should do a write-up on that for benheck forums or something. The PSX sticks are pretty sweet, and I can program an Atmega8 with "USB HID" joystick firmware for about $10-15 in components, thus a neat idea would be a cradle that is your favorite game controller for use with the Pandora. Probably also be a good idea to have it set up as a "stand alone" controller for 2player or PC use.

Back