Whats The Negatives About The Tv-out Cable?

Bloodsack

Website
Visit site
I'm going to buy a GP2X today and needed some questions answered.

I've done some reading up on the tv out cable and it seems to me that it has some problems. I want to use It with my home cinema.

Would it work If I just hooked up the video & audio to the ins in the home cinema? or whats the best way to hook It up.

Thanks

Early cables were shoddily made. New ones should be fine. You might need an extension cord for the svideo and rca, but I'm guessing you already have that.

The new one has a female s-video plug, the old one is male. I've got the old one, and it is a little shoddy. I have to hold the s-video wire just right or I lose the video signal. :( I've heard that the new ones are of better quality, though.

Oh well, I'll be buying a BoB when the non-developer version is released.

I probably got the very last batch of the old type, as I got mine in late june (early july?) and it's a male. Works fine from my testing. Haven't had any trouble with it whatsoever.

Magnulus posted on Jul 25 2006 at 10:29 AM said:
I probably got the very last batch of the old type, as I got mine in late june (early july?) and it's a male. Works fine from my testing. Haven't had any trouble with it whatsoever.

I got one of the old cables around the same time, and it doesn't work at all. If I had known that there was a new cable coming out, I might have waited. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
My cable arrived today, bought from divineo, but does not work. Sound works fine but the video is just grey/black wavy horizontal lines. Its set to PAL, but I've tried the other one just in case but still no joy.

My cable has a female s-video connector, but does not have the GP2X logo on it. Do any of you fine people know which version of the cable this is?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but if I use an adapter than converts the S-Video to Composite video, will I loose image quality?

yes, s-vidio haves better quality than composite.

wiggythebrave: sounds like they did send you one of the old buggy cables, buy from a proper shop.

wiggythebrave posted on Jul 25 2006 at 09:45 AM said:
My cable arrived today, bought from divineo, but does not work. Sound works fine but the video is just grey/black wavy horizontal lines. Its set to PAL, but I've tried the other one just in case but still no joy.

My cable has a female s-video connector, but does not have the GP2X logo on it. Do any of you fine people know which version of the cable this is?
Version 3.0, the very latest. Don't listen to these guys, it is fine. Even if it is a knock-off (prove it) it works fine.

Vimacs posted on Jul 25 2006 at 10:01 AM said:
yes, s-vidio haves better quality than composite.

wiggythebrave: sounds like they did send you one of the old buggy cables, buy from a proper shop.
No, I have the version 3 cables (I had the version 1 that I pre-ordered last October previously)

Version 2 is the ones that work, but have the Male S-Video ends.

My MKII came with one and it has no GP2X marking on it (why should it, only adds to the cost).

I was disappointed that the new TV-Out cables come with only the pins for the A/V, The first ones had all the pins, great for hacking around.

I would say its your TV's problem, but I could be wrong.

How are you connecting it?

It may be possible it is not connecting correctly. SCART for instance does not support S-Video to scart interface.

Some late-model SCART units do support it, and some Scart adaptors are converting it to A/V and running that into the TV, so it would be cheaper to get a S-Video to A/V adaptor first if your TV has A/V in.

i have an svideo cord for connecting my monitors output into the tv. if I plug it in all the way, it's B/W but if I plug it in about half way, it comes in color ;) . might want to try that...

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think my TV is fine, as I have been running my VCR through the RCA connections without any problem.

[/quote]
Connection wise, I'm using a S-video to RCA converter.

wiggythebrave posted on Jul 26 2006 at 09:08 AM said:

I think my TV is fine, as I have been running my VCR through the RCA connections without any problem.

nubie posted on Jul 25 2006 at 11:37 PM said:
Connection wise, I'm using a S-video to RCA converter.
I had one that looked fine, but isn't really a convertor, you need to set the device you use to Video out.

AFAIK you can't yet on the GP2X, at least not in a user-friendly way, I am sure it can do it, the chip is definately capable of making the right signal.

I think that the convertor needs to bridge across the S-Vid lines with a Capacitor to make Composite video.

To just rule out a problem with the cable and the GP2X, why not try a friend or relatives' TV with S-Video and see how that works?

(you have a / in the first qoute, and another /qoute that is before my comment, that is why it isn't working right)

Back