When Is The Real Release Date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
craigix said:
I'm still hoping that if the cases are okay the first Pandora can be shipped this month, it will be more of a ceremonial thing than a mass shipment. It's very likely those first units are going to go to the devs who have put in so much excellent work thus far.

I sure hope they go to the developers first. From the sound of it, they received little to no pay, spent endless hours working on it, and well...they made it! Thanks for your hard work Pandora team, keep up the hard work!

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
China will probably push the electric car on to the world at an affordable price though, the USA really need to get their act together on that or they might never recover the car industry.

Clive Sinclair must be spinning in his penthouse, screaming how he tried to tell everyone that the electric car was the way ahead in 1980.

Thinking about that, not far from where I live there is a company who have been making electric vans and trucks for years (smith electric I think) yet you never hear about them in the UK media. It's all Tesla, Toyota and that Gwiz crap. Slightly disgraceful.

Thinking about this even more maybe we should write uncle Clive a letter and see if he might come out of retirement to give the Pandora some publicity. The Pandora ZX89.
Agreed. I was looking into the Chevy Volt, which is an interesting concept (electric for first ~60km, then switches to gas) and something I'd really actually buy... until I saw the price tag.

40,000USD, down to 32,500 with the US tax credit being offered. Either way it's way too expensive for my tastes.

Gary13579 said:
Agreed. I was looking into the Chevy Volt, which is an interesting concept (electric for first ~60km, then switches to gas) and something I'd really actually buy... until I saw the price tag.

40,000USD, down to 32,500 with the US tax credit being offered. Either way it's way too expensive for my tastes.
Hey, if you want economy, you have to pay for it!

craigix said:
I'm still hoping that if the cases are okay the first Pandora can be shipped this month, it will be more of a ceremonial thing than a mass shipment. It's very likely those first units are going to go to the devs who have put in so much excellent work thus far.

Nooooooo dont say it mate, you know what happens

craigix said:
Confirmed: First 105 virgin Pandoras to be sacrificed to the lizard god himself, MWeston.

craigix said:

This month? you mean october? we are from 1 week to get into november and even if the moulds are done it still need to get mass produced and then join all the parts together...
You're the boss here man, really we'll see a complete Pandora this month?

guizm said:
craigix said:

This month? you mean october? we are from 1 week to get into november and even if the moulds are done it still need to get mass produced and then join all the parts together...
I guess that Craig get production sample of case. So if sample is good, mass case production may start and sample will become the first real production case. Then Craig can use case for mounting 1st final Pandora. If Murphy don't f*ck it up then we will see snapshot of 1st Pandora in October. I doubt that case arrive in time, but I still hope that it will be right and production will start 1st November week.

guizm said:
Assume that they send the sample cases on Monday by super-ultra-fast-air post. MWeston gets them Tuesday. Everything fits, everything is good. Wednesday they complete and send out 10'000 cases by super-ultra-fast-air post, and Michael gets on a plane for Dallas. He and the cases arrive there Thursday. Assembly begins. The first 100 or so are sent out that afternoon by super-ultra-fast-air post. They arrive Friday.
So, assuming that all shipping is next day, it'll happen this month. Since I really doubt that flying 10'000 cases from China to Texas next-day is anything but a really stupid amount of money, it'll probably be first week of November at the earliest. That is my guess. I'm also assuming that everything but the cases are already in Texas just waiting to be assembled.

craigix said:
ari64 deservers one :) but many more :p

i really expect to have my Pandora in my hand for the last week of November because i go to a game/anime show in south France and can do some presentation for people who want ^^

I don't had it for my brithday (14 october) :/

WizardStan said:
guizm said:
Assume that they send the sample cases on Monday by super-ultra-fast-air post. MWeston gets them Tuesday. Everything fits, everything is good. Wednesday they complete and send out 10'000 cases by super-ultra-fast-air post, and Michael gets on a plane for Dallas. He and the cases arrive there Thursday. Assembly begins. The first 100 or so are sent out that afternoon by super-ultra-fast-air post. They arrive Friday.
So, assuming that all shipping is next day, it'll happen this month. Since I really doubt that flying 10'000 cases from China to Texas next-day is anything but a really stupid amount of money, it'll probably be first week of November at the earliest. That is my guess. I'm also assuming that everything but the cases are already in Texas just waiting to be assembled.

Well... that's assuming that super fast air post. Think about the time it took to ship the first 105 pandora boards, or whatever else. Assuming that ultra fast air post, moulds can have problems in tweaking, ( they made it chinesse people with a ds lite, what can we spect ? )

@borgqueenx: I really think cpasjuste or pickle deserve it more, but it will be nice to have a poll of that.

It's going to take more time than just the availability of the case moulds would suggest. The motherboards have been ordered for their final production run but they all have to be populated. Then it's all got to be assembled which I think will take quite a bit of time. Then the mass lot have to be shipped to Europe (at least for those destined over here) and then it has to be distributed on an individual basis by EvilDragon and Craig... perhaps before Christmas (although who knows) but I think it'll be a squeeze.

You mean use the incoming parts with the existing case to test if they work properly? I'm at work so I sure I missed something but if that's the case that could work.
I think the most important part of the case the guys and gals here would need to know about is the hinge, if that's among the parts that could very well work.
I'll correct myself later but that's my immediate thought from what I've read.

omg, delays and more delyas, i just wondered how long is it going to take to ship out the 10k cases to the MP factory then shie em again to UK to ship to the customers, i see shipping times longer than the mould making time XD.

i want it on or before my Bday (dec 8). is it still posible?
the time i paid, they said it would ship on september XD, cant complain when some waited much more.

Calm down :)

The last thing you or anyone else should worry about is the creation and shipment of 10k cases as we are only using 4000 of them and they are shipping as they go.
If they continue to process in parallels I would speculate by your birthday at second best. by I'm sure it will finish by new years.

may88 said:
craigix said:
Well I meant we could just use the test cases if they are perfect.
Have you got any feet left?
I read it the way he meant it. So seems he was just clarifying. If the cases are perfect then those can be shipped out. Wasn't talking about from the case batch run.

craigix said:
There is a date in November that the 4000 should be finished on, but no one dares to post it.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say the 13th. Two reasons:

1) 13/11/09 has a nice symmetric ring to it.

2) November 13th, 2009 will be a "Friday the 13th".

That being said, if the date was proclaimed it wouldn't be met, so why ruin a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back