When The Pandora Cums

Sugar_Kane said:
I don't think I will miss silkscreening. As far as I was concerned it was a relatively new addition, as most of the renders I had seen didn't have it applied (Heck, even the render on the main page of openpandora.org only has minimal silkscreening)I had assumed that it was always going to arrive blank.

That said, it would have been swish to have a first batch notice on there, although I presume there will be some kind of serial number pointing this out somewhere less obvious? I'm all for having mine autographed by the team, under the battery.
Just looked at the main page and your right, only the led's are silk screened (obviously not talking about the back of the unit)

But yea it does make it look more complete, but apart from it missing "first batch" I don't care. :lol:
Maybe Craig can sign it saying, what's your order number along the bottom. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I note that the majority who have posted in this thread agree with the no silk-screening to speed up delivery of the product, but I still cannot help being very disappointed that after waiting a year and a half that we would resolve to "cutting corners" to do this. I understand that compromises have to be made, but leaving out the silk screening seems to me more than a compromise as we're not getting an alternative at all. I am sure that if OP had originally suggested to the factory that they only required a "functional" case and not one where no corners were cut then we would have been able to get it well before X'mas and all of these previous delays striving for a perfect case have been for nought.

Well it can't be helped I suppose, so good luck with getting it out soon!

To keep us First-Batchers happy and to differentiate us from the second batchers (who I am sure will be getting identically non-silkscreened cases) I vote that the whole OP team should sign in Gold Marker in the battery compartment under the battery :)

LuvClub said:
I note that the majority who have posted in this thread agree with the no silk-screening to speed up delivery of the product, but I still cannot help being very disappointed that after waiting a year and a half that we would resolve to "cutting corners" to do this. I am sure that if OP had originally suggested to the factory that they only required a "functional" case and not one where no corners were cut then we would have been able to get it well before X'mas and all of these previous delays striving for a perfect case have been for nought.

Well it can't be helped I suppose, so good luck with getting it out soon!

To keep us First-Batchers happy and to differentiate us from the second batchers (who I am sure will be getting identically non-silkscreened cases) I vote that the whole OP team should sign in Gold Marker in the battery compartment under the battery :)
Like I said, I did not really care about anything else than the first batch and the leds. Well, I'll have to do without it, but I'll really miss the "first batch" marking.
You got my vote on the signatures from the team.

I don't think the "no cutting corners" motto was for nought. The case is well-made, solid, comfortable, they've done a great job on it, even if it took a while because Pandora isn't a priority for the factory.
They made a near perfect case, and the silkscreen has nothing to do with its quality.
If the team had asked for a functional case, we would have got them fast, but they would have been made like many cheap plastic toys*... not a good idea.

*you know, those cheap toys that have the pieces glued together and a few millimeters between each pieces, made with a plastic that breaks fast.

r00tw00t said:
explain for me this "obsession" to distinguish 1st batch to later batches :)
Well, first batch is the birth of pandora, it was a kind of commemoration silkscreen and a little thanks to the first buyers. A token of appreciation to the first paying supporters of the pandora.

Na-Noo said:
I've skimmed the first few pages, and a couple of the last few posts.
It seems that people who want silkscreening are labelled as a lot of crazies.

I may not care eitherway, but as a device that's supposed to be a professional piece of kit regardless of how small the company making it is, you can't say that it doesn't take that away from it.

You can't seriously believe that sending it to be reviewed, they will think it was a design decision, which it wasn't, it's a half finished bit of kit. They've seen the renders, the case with silkscreening, and now it's very late and not finished.

Now for an underground bit of kit, well that's a whole different matter. It's like a de-badged car :lol:
Very nice ;)

Therein lies the rub - although some people push it as a "professional bit of kit", it's clearly not - and if you read MWeston from time to time he seems to point this out fairly clearly (sometimes exasperatedly). It's not meant to be pro level quality, it's a "guys working in their sheds" product. Certain aspects of the final thing - including the state of the OS on release - are likely to reflect that reality.

It might be the best thing ever to come out of 6 guys rummaging around in their sheds, but it's still able to fall back on the "back-garden shed project" reason for any shortcomings. Honestly so.

r00tw00t said:
explain for me this "obsession" to distinguish 1st batch to later batches :)

KodeIn nailed it. It would be nice to distinguish the first batch to show appreciation for those that have invested in it, allowing the creation of the unit in the first place, and paving the way for the second batch.

rabidpoobear said:
True.
Also I'm like 90% sure his name is Fatih not Faith. But everyone's been typing Faith so I'm not sure if I read it wrong initially or if all you guys are wrong... :p
Fatih comes from the arabic verb fa-ta-ha which means 'to open'.

Might add a mind anchor as his name gets confused quite often :blink:

Monk said:
Na-Noo said:
I've skimmed the first few pages, and a couple of the last few posts.
It seems that people who want silkscreening are labelled as a lot of crazies.

I may not care eitherway, but as a device that's supposed to be a professional piece of kit regardless of how small the company making it is, you can't say that it doesn't take that away from it.

You can't seriously believe that sending it to be reviewed, they will think it was a design decision, which it wasn't, it's a half finished bit of kit. They've seen the renders, the case with silkscreening, and now it's very late and not finished.

Now for an underground bit of kit, well that's a whole different matter. It's like a de-badged car :lol:
Very nice ;)

Therein lies the rub - although some people push it as a "professional bit of kit", it's clearly not - and if you read MWeston from time to time he seems to point this out fairly clearly (sometimes exasperatedly). It's not meant to be pro level quality, it's a "guys working in their sheds" product. Certain aspects of the final thing - including the state of the OS on release - are liely to reflect that reality.

It might be the best thing ever to come out of 6 guys rummaging around in their sheds, but it's still able to fall back on the "back-gardxen shed project" reason for any shortcomings. Honestly so.
Apart from the silkscreening, I personally think it is a very professional bit of kit, regardless of how many people made it.
The only thing that people could really say wasn't would be the case design (where some people think it looks dated) but even that I like, and that therefore could just be considered personal opinion. Not less professional.

As for OS, apart from WIFI, it's pretty much all there and I would consider it to be professional.

This isn't a bit of kit that used an of the shelf case from maplin/radioshack, it's custom made.

It's like saying a custom built car/pc/etc should be of lower quality because it's only done by a couple people, when in truth that's far from the truth.

I'm not saying the OS will be/or even should be perfect, and that we shouldn't be understanding of what they've gone through to make it. But one thing I would say is that I consider it to be a profesional and a quality product. But then maybe I have a lower bar as to what I consider professional ;)

Only shortcoming is how long it's taken in my eye's, and in that regard I would say it's because "the best thing ever to come out of 6 guys rummaging around in their sheds" comes into play :D

Alerino said:
borgqueenx said:
lol at the toptic title.

"The Pandora Cums... a massive load on the appstore servers."

Craig, you better run and cover those servers!!!

He's the gay lover of the appstore so he'll be standing in front of the servers, taking it for the team with is hat on. (And if you don't get the reference then don't worry about it, I'm not being homophobic or anything)

Funny title, considering it doesn't have anything at all to do with the first post :lol:

Mjlink said:
RenegadeChic said:
Mjlink said:
Go cry in your corner with your Optimus Prime, take a few LEDs with you and a sharpie so you can figure out which is which.
heeey now, no need to take it out on optimus. me and my army of 10 optimuses will take you on any time *gnashes teeth*
Relax grl, ungnash them sweet choppers and inhale. Thats it. Tell those 10 Optimi to take these energon cubes and leave us alone.

Sounds a lot better than me getting my ass kicked by a bunch of robots and a renegade chic.

Good thing I'm changing IP addresses shortly,

Peace & BLACKberry Kush,

Link
RenegadeChic is a dude, dude. :p
Chick = girl
Chic = stylish

WizardStan said:
RenegadeChic is a dude, dude. :p
Chick = girl
Chic = stylish
you're not wrong! i do forgive people for not identifying the difference though, its not a particularly common word

it would be easier to get away with being an asshole if i was a girl though! :lol:

r00tw00t said:
explain for me this "obsession" to distinguish 1st batch to later batches
smile.gif
A small return for those that have had funds invested for 18 months - to make them feel better rather than pulling out and being second batchers. I rather just get the beast and not worry. Although this would be hugely funny:
Na-Noo said:
Maybe Craig can sign it saying, what's your order number along the bottom.
wink.gif

intense_mc said:
One of the guys making Pandora's box has a name that means "to open"?

editted for royally cocking up the original quotes.

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    699 bytes · Views: 103
  • wink.gif
    wink.gif
    696 bytes · Views: 116
Ollonk said:
I think that the lack of a silk screen is awesome in itself. It screams "I don't need any labels because I was über enough to know about this thing since before it began."
IMO, not having a silk screen > Special 1st batch silk screen.
I SIGN THIS. Agree100%

TaG said:
r00tw00t said:
explain for me this "obsession" to distinguish 1st batch to later batches
smile.gif
A small return for those that have had funds invested for 18 months - to make them feel better rather than pulling out and being second batchers. I rather just get the beast and not worry. Although this would be hugely funny:
Na-Noo said:
Maybe Craig can sign it saying, what's your order number along the bottom.
wink.gif

intense_mc said:
One of the guys making Pandora's box has a name that means "to open"?

editted for royally cocking up the original quotes.
Why pandora Team did not find another one partner, which name means "Fast and reliable delivery"? :blink:

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    699 bytes · Views: 83
  • wink.gif
    wink.gif
    696 bytes · Views: 84
darkborn said:
Ollonk said:
I think that the lack of a silk screen is awesome in itself. It screams "I don't need any labels because I was über enough to know about this thing since before it began."
IMO, not having a silk screen > Special 1st batch silk screen.
I SIGN THIS. Agree100%
Apart from any subsequent batch being able to remove the silkscreening too look like a first batch one.
Sure, it may not add to the value. Just pointing out that it's easer to remove than it is to add.

Na-Noo said:
Apart from any subsequent batch being able to remove the silkscreening too look like a first batch one.
Sure, it may not add to the value. Just pointing out that it's easer to remove than it is to add.

Also I would assume since 10,000 is made in this first run, then the remaining 6,000 left after the First Batch of 4,000 will also be non-silkscreened. Highly unlikely OP will go back and silk-screen them just so that they could look different to us First Batchers.

ashdjones said:
I never liked the silkscreening anyway. Am I the only one?
Silkscreening is for 2nd-batchers. We're elite first batchers. :ph34r:

LuvClub said:
Also I would assume since 10,000 is made in this first run, then the remaining 6,000 left after the First Batch of 4,000 will also be non-silkscreened. Highly unlikely OP will go back and silk-screen them just so that they could look different to us First Batchers.
Actually I think the opposite. When the pressure of the first batch is gone, they'll have enough time to go through the silkscreening process while they wait for the second batch parts to arrive.

edit:
ED hints in that direction on the German forums. "Well, it's just the first batch. Future Pandoras can get('können bekommen' is hard to translate. It could mean 'might get' or just the 'ability to get sth.') silkscreening and everyone who wants one can order a case."

Back