Who Here Is Happy With Firmware 2.1.0?

Bloodsack

Website
Visit site
I know I am.

Just upgraded this morning.

I've read people having problems with mp3 playback, but I don't use my gp2x for mp3's anyways. thats what my ipods for :)

I will say for me at least Video Playback It's much improved. On 2.0.0 it would freeze all the time and now it works prefect. It hasn't froze once?(Now that I said that it will freeze) ;) anyways....so far I'm loving the new firmware. Neo geo runs better too :D

I know DrMD had problems, but that was fixed. I'm sure as days go on they'll iron out the rest.

Very happy GP2X owner :D

Bloodsack posted on Oct 28 2006 at 10:29 AM said:
I know I am.

Just upgraded this morning.

I've read people having problems with mp3 playback, but I don't use my gp2x for mp3's anyways. thats what my ipods for :)

I will say for me at least Video Playback It's much improved. On 2.0.0 it would freeze all the time and now it works prefect. It hasn't froze once?(Now that I said that it will freeze) ;) anyways....so far I'm loving the new firmware. Neo geo runs better too :D

I know DrMD had problems, but that was fixed. I'm sure as days go on they'll iron out the rest.

Very happy GP2X owner :D

I just upgraded this morning also.

I mainly did it for the movie playback but so far I'm very pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not happy at all; my machine is a 1st edition which had been running FW 2.0 when I upgraded and now I have alot of problems (and before you ask yeah I upgraded right). AlexKid 0.4 now freezes randomly regardless of the rom I'm playing as does Mame. The Payback demo freezes at random times usually not that far into the start and so does alot of the other games with the exception of doom. This made me think that it could be a conflict caused when you overclock the machine to between 200 - 266 mhz but I can't be sure. Can anyone confirm this or is there a problem that isn't firmware related? I mean this happens with batteries and my PSU (I never have the psu connected while batteries are inserted just to be safe <_< ).

im very happy seems they make a real effort to improve the FW.
So what if they dont have ALL features requested, they are on the right track and i look forward to FW releases, as much as apps/emu/demo/skin updates

GPH+comunity r0x0rs my s0x0rs

Well I'll wait for program updates and see if it makes any difference but it's a shame this has happened as I love playing master system games on the move :(

Bet it works fine if you buy the "proper" 275Mhz machine!!!

I'm happy with it, except for one thing. The commercial version of Vektar won't work now, it just stays at the loading screen. I have sent Craig a message and I bet he will have a resolve for it soon :).

PokeParadox posted on Oct 28 2006 at 11:22 AM said:
Fluffy, you can get it to wrok if you power up with no SD in. then insert the Vektar SD and run it. This works for me. :)
Hey you're right :), how did you find that out?

I don't think it's a step backward from 2.0.0, but not exactly a leap forward either.
I've installed it and it has made an improvement overall.

I must admit I was quite afraid considering the large amount of bad feedbacks about this firmware. I finally decided to try it (my first firmware update in fact) and I'm really happy with this 2.1.0. :D

The menu with the screen transitions is clearly more comfortable than before, the skins are far easier to use, the video player is more stable, and some apps (such as Gngeo) seem to be faster (maybe because of an optimization of the SDcard reader ?)...
In addition to that, thanks to the DrMDx (now corrected) incompatibility I've discovered Picodrive, which is the best Genesis emulator (ISS Deluxe is fully playable, oh my god !!!).

For me this firware is a good one, even though the MP3 player isn't as good as before (and it was already not very good before). :rolleyes:

dimitri2401 posted on Oct 28 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
I must admit I was quite afraid considering the large amount of bad feedbacks about this firmware. I finally decided to try it (my first firmware update in fact) and I'm really happy with this 2.1.0. :D

The menu with the screen transitions is clearly more comfortable than before, the skins are far easier to use, the video player is more stable, and some apps (such as Gngeo) seem to be faster (maybe because of an optimization of the SDcard reader ?)...
In addition to that, thanks to the DrMDx (now corrected) incompatibility I've discovered Picodrive, which is the best Genesis emulator (ISS Deluxe is fully playable, oh my god !!!).

For me this firware is a good one, even though the MP3 player isn't as good as before (and it was already not very good before). :rolleyes:
You could use CraigAmp instead :D

adsa posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:33 AM said:
Bet it works fine if you buy the "proper" 275Mhz machine!!!
*sigh* again, these are not '275 MHz' machines. They are the exact same as any other GP2X unit, nothing is new, they are just called something else, and you pay more because someone else tested that they could overclock to 275 MHz-- but any random machine could've done that.

Happy with new firmware here especially for Gngeo improvements.

Now that the mmu hack problem has been resolved I'm sure they'll work quickly to fix all remaining problems.

Havnt tried mp3 playback yet but then again, my 4gb sd is full atm.

2.1 is definately the way forward...

Have they actually made any worthwhile technical updates other than crappy little gui/movieplayer changes? i.e. have they tweaked linux, improved boot times? If not I wont bother, as far as I'm concerned the gph menu has been superseded by gmenu2x anyway.

Looking at the number alone, v2.1, this isn't supposed to be some grand leap. I wouldn't worry about it. I think this release was mainly to buy time for v3.0 or maybe a v2.5. It's not like they're going to ignore the mp3 problems.

Back