Who Here Is Happy With Firmware 2.1.0?

I was unhappy at first cos it broke some of the functionality of gmenu2x. Then I found out about command line switches that in the end actually increased functionality by allowing links to file explorer, settings etc.

Then I fired up gngeo2x and not only did roms load quicker but the stuttering at the beginning of fights was almost totally absent.

I am happy with the new firmware.

I don't know about you, but the MP3 player works ace for me. I like the new feature of repeating all tracks in a folder rather than stop when they're over. This firmware is a breath of fresh air after months of silence from GPH, and as Shadowsithe said, it's more of a WIP for the bigger update that will hopefully follow.

- Alex

Am I the only person who likes DrMDx better than Picodrive? I get higher framerates than in DrMDx . Anyway, the firmware's pretty good, the skin selector and menu transitions are cool.

Epicenter posted on Oct 28 2006 at 01:26 PM said:
adsa posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:33 AM said:
Bet it works fine if you buy the "proper" 275Mhz machine!!!
*sigh* again, these are not '275 MHz' machines. They are the exact same as any other GP2X unit, nothing is new, they are just called something else, and you pay more because someone else tested that they could overclock to 275 MHz-- but any random machine could've done that.

OK I know that. 200Mhz chip. I know that too. If I had to load up all the support info with every post, then nobody would read it would they... :p :D

Seeing as you are a noob (hehehe!) Go and have a look at the wiki..... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
adsa posted on Oct 28 2006 at 02:58 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Oct 28 2006 at 01:26 PM said:
adsa posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:33 AM said:
Bet it works fine if you buy the "proper" 275Mhz machine!!!
*sigh* again, these are not '275 MHz' machines. They are the exact same as any other GP2X unit, nothing is new, they are just called something else, and you pay more because someone else tested that they could overclock to 275 MHz-- but any random machine could've done that.

OK I know that. 200Mhz chip. I know that too. If I had to load up all the support info with every post, then nobody would read it would they... :p :D

Seeing as you are a noob (hehehe!) Go and have a look at the wiki..... :p
lol :rolleyes:

Fez posted on Oct 28 2006 at 06:36 AM said:
Have they actually made any worthwhile technical updates other than crappy little gui/movieplayer changes? i.e. have they tweaked linux, improved boot times? If not I wont bother, as far as I'm concerned the gph menu has been superseded by gmenu2x anyway.

Yes, the SD card reads about twice as fast as it used to.

Well, the upgrade didnt go all that smooth

and i'm not sure wether or not the upgrade is to blame for gngeo crashing whenever i have sound enabled;
Code:
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
SDL_GP2X: Freeing cursor 0x2db7e8
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager freeing 256 bytes @ 0x42070800 from bucket 0x2db7c0
SDL_GP2X: VideoQuit
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0x2db7c0 (size 256)
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0x2db800 (size 180224)
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0x2db950 (size 13824)
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0x2dbab8 (size 512)
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0x2dbc20 (size 4890368)
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurface 0x2dae80
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager freeing 153600 bytes @ 0x4204b000 from bucket 0x2dad44
SDL_GP2X: DeleteDevice
Real-time signal 1
is what i get after playing any game for a short while (with sound)
Also, after it occurs the first time, i rarely even get passed the unzipping and loading part before i get thrown back into the selector
Just having it overclocked doesn't effect it, only sound it seems.
Perhaps someone could help me confirm this by testing?

MP3s are working fine for me, but for those who are having problems, try using Oldplay. I always use this for my MP3s/Oggs/SIDs anyway, it's *much* better.

First edition, and i enjoy the improvements. No more screen flicker at startup, nice transitions, better mplayer... Also i had no probs with the mp3 player.

I like it. However, I'm not sure about the boot time. After I flashed it, my boot time shot up to 19 seconds (previously it was around 10). Anyone else have that?

xenonflash posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
Am I the only person who likes DrMDx better than Picodrive? I get higher framerates than in DrMDx . Anyway, the firmware's pretty good, the skin selector and menu transitions are cool.
what exactly do you mean? do you mean you get higher framerates in drmdx than in picodrive? in that case, i think its because you have higher sound settings and the high accuracy render in picodrive

nem posted on Oct 29 2006 at 05:11 AM said:
I like it. However, I'm not sure about the boot time. After I flashed it, my boot time shot up to 19 seconds (previously it was around 10). Anyone else have that?

It mounts the NAND by default now, and it is required if you want multiple skins. Mounting the NAND takes awhile.

Very happy. Fixed the videos freezing, which was my only major problem in FW 2.0. MP3 playback seems to stutter ever so slightly at times, but this might have something to do with odd encoders, odd bitrates and, well, generally odd music. I can't say if this didn't happen in 2.0 also, however.

I like it for the most part except for mp3 playback on some files. Namely podcasts. It will play some. The ones it won't play, they play slow. Others it show that they only have a running time of 1 sec. (I only have one that does this) And I can't use the seek function on that one but it will play just fine. And the seek function is more consistant but is now a lot slower.

OldPlay and CraigAmp are a big help. Between the two and the built in player I can play just about any podcast. Neither has a seek function and CragAmp (as far as I know) doesn't have a way to blank the screen (to perserve battery life of course). And before I use CraigAmp, I have to delete the 2 files that it writes (well one of the two, the music.raw file is fine, the memory dump file has to be deleted or CraigAmp won't start)

I do like the new way that skins are handled.

im lovin it, i was a bit skeptical about updating, but hey it works great, gngeo is definatly faster (which makes playin metal slug a whole lot better) movies play alot better, and music works fantasticly (hey anything that can play suburban rhythm with a nice jazz EQ is great imo (cause their fast as hellz)) and it sounds great! im(as you can tell) enjoying 2.1.0 and the new options are good to (for multiple transitions, schemes etc) but what does the lcd thing do, to me it has never done anything at all (is it supposed to do something?)

Back