Who Likes The Wii

daclassicgamingmaster said:
You're so predictable, declaration. I saw that you posted in this thread, and I knew it would be a blind fanboy comment, just like everything else from you.

I'm unbiased, by the way. I own all three console. Oh, and just so you know, Okami already exists. It exists on the PS2. I've heard that the wii version is much better! Not. Resident Evil 4 came from the gamecube. Real original there. So there's a petition to get RE:5 on the Wii. Good luck with that. No one wants to see it graphically mutilated. Mario Kart Wii is a bore. I wouldn't waste a penny on that crap.

By the way, the DS is currently being outsold by the PSP in Japan. I guess they've gotten bored of all the amazing games.
Fanboy, huh? At least he had some points. :p

I don't really get it, but all through middle school and then high school, it was the cool thing to bash Nintendo constantly. No clue why, but I did know I liked my Zelda, Mario, and lack of loadtimes (literal for N64 and virtual for Gamecube).

I own a Wii, and I don't have any of the other systems. But the pile of garbage software is horrendous on Wii. I think I must know how all those Playstation people must have felt while waiting for the next good one. I ended up getting mine for Christmas after it came out, beating Zelda, playing the crap out of Excite Truck, and then putting it away for about half a month and borrowing my friend's PS2 (that he no longer played) and playing through all the gems I missed from that generation. Then with Mario Galaxy and SSBB, I pulled it back out. At some point, they caught up with some good games. Now I can't even afford to buy all the games I want to try. :lol:

I suppose the difference between me and a lot of other people is that I'm looking at the Wii like I would any other console. The motion control is cool, yeah, but it doesn't bother me when I don't have it any more. So I'd been disappointed with a lot of the games that depended on gimmicks, and now I'm definitely feeling better with the games to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're so predictable, declaration. I saw that you posted in this thread, and I knew it would be a blind fanboy comment, just like everything else from you.

I'm unbiased, by the way. I own all three console. Oh, and just so you know, Okami already exists. It exists on the PS2. I've heard that the wii version is much better! Not. Resident Evil 4 came from the gamecube. Real original there. So there's a petition to get RE:5 on the Wii. Good luck with that. No one wants to see it graphically mutilated. Mario Kart Wii is a bore. I wouldn't waste a penny on that crap.

By the way, the DS is currently being outsold by the PSP in Japan. I guess they've gotten bored of all the amazing games.
If my post was fanboyism, what does that make yours? So you've got all 3 consoles. WOW!

Doesn't make your thoughts any less stupid.

So RE4 was released on the Cube. So what? The Wii version is so much better, it makes the experience into one of the greatest games of all time.

Mario Kart Wii is a bore is it? It's Mario Kart with online. Nothing more, nothing less. If you won't let yourself enjoy that because you are blinded by cartoons and lack of swearing, then that's your loss I guess. Maybe they'll bring out GTA Kart for sad little boys like you, who like to think they are being mature.

As for the massive success of the PSP in Japan; its doing ok yeah. But let me know when they have sold 10 million units. The DS has sold 23 million. Must be reaching market saturation soon.

Oh and I'm sure the PSP software developers are loving having 1 game in the Japanese top 20 charts. I mean the DS only has half the top 20 after all.

It's a glorified video player, which sells a few units everytime Capcom are generous enough to release a new version of Monster Hunter.

I'm sure Nintendo are shitting themselves.

declaration said:

If my post was fanboyism, what does that make yours? So you've got all 3 consoles. WOW!

So RE4 was released on the Cube. So what? The Wii version is so much better, it makes the experience into one of the greatest games of all time.

Mario Kart Wii is a bore is it? It's Mario Kart with online. Nothing more, nothing less. If you won't let yourself enjoy that because you are blinded by cartoons and lack of swearing, then that's your loss I guess. Maybe they'll bring out GTA Kart for sad little boys like you, who like to think they are being mature.

As for the massive success of the PSP in Japan; its doing ok yeah. But let me know when they have sold 10 million units. The DS has sold 23 million. Must be reaching market saturation soon.

Oh and I'm sure the PSP software developers are loving having 1 game in the Japanese top 20 charts. I mean the DS only has half the top 20 after all.

It's a glorified video player, which sells a few units everytime Capcom are generous enough to release a new version of Monster Hunter.

What does it make my post? It makes it unbiased ;)

You seem to be under the impression that I'm a prepubescent kid obsessed with GTA. Yes, I love GTA. Am I blind to good titles if they don't have a Mature rating? Don't be foolish. I'll call a spade a spade; Zelda on Wii is good. It's no Ocarina of Time, but it's a great game. Metroid Prime is good, too. Galaxy is brilliant. Everything else is shit. I have no ulterior motive here, unlike you. You're too blinded by your own obsession with Nintento. You NEVER critique them the way ALL companies should be critiqued.

I'm not blinded by "cartoons and lack of swearing", I'm blinded by LACK OF ORIGINAL GAMEPLAY. I have Mario Kart for DS, N64, and SNES. It's all the same. People are so in love with Nintendo that they refuse to see that. They've thrown in a gimmicky wheel, and people flock to the store to buy the game.

We've both been around here a while now, and I think we owe it to OP not to diarrhea all over this thread. We'll have to just walk the other way, like we always do ;)

Well, I do own a Wii, and I don't love GTA (it's above average, but not spectacular). But almost all of those games you mentioned are shit.

Super Mario Galaxy: Decent enough, but so sparsely populated with fun it becomes a chore. Still, it's fairly decent.
RE4: One of the few decent game on the system.
Mario Kart Wii: mario kart online? OMG!!!!!!!!1111111one. Oh wait, i already have that. It's called mario kart DS, and it's better.
Okami: Looks like crap on the wii: they got rid of all the watercolour effects.
Super smash Bros: Oh brilliant. It wasn't good on the n64; it isn't good now either. Besides, it's the same game still.
Zelda: A ghost of OOT. Lame puzzles, and crap story. Just not fun.

In fact, the better games on the system aren't buy nintendo, who just want to fuck the console up it seems, but by third parties, but because of this they sell bugger all. Give me Sonic Wii or Elebits over the shite nintendo spew out any day.

As for appealing to a wide range of people? No it doesn't. It just appeals to the really young and the really post menopausal. Oh, and the gamers who are so "hardcore" they're too blind to se their consoles are meant to be used for Brain training, dreadful life sims and cooking mothers.

As for nintendo ds owning half the top 20? In japan this week, save for mario kart ds, all of those ds games are rubbish trainers, and even worse cash-in titles.

@ Goity - Just so you are aware, they didn't get rid of the Water colour effects in Okami on the Wii. Graphically, it's identical to the PS2 version except it's a tiny bit higher res. The only thing missing is the paper filter feature that was present in the PS2 version. Perhaps that is what you were refering to. Oh... and Sonic Wii wasn't that great, neither was Elebits. i can understand your point of including Elebits because it tried something new but it really wasn't that great. But you are right about some of the better games coming from 3rd parties. If you haven't played Zack and Wiki (and please do not be put off by its Kiddy image that it portrays. It's far from a kiddy game) then I urge you to do so because that really is probably the best 3rd party game on the system.

@ DCGM - I thoroughly agree with you on Mario Kart. I'll admit I bought the Wii version when it came out (purely because I wanted something to play to tide me over till GTA 4) but subsequently haven't played it in weeks due to the fact that it got old really fast. They are all similar each of the Mario Karts, with only the DS one managing to keep me occupied for more than a couple of weeks. When I'm next at one of my local game stores, I'll be getting rid of Mario Kart Wii because, like many of my other Wii games, it's just sitting their gathering dust. What annoyed me about Mario Kart was the fact that they didn't try to improve the core game. Like the way they improved F Zero when it came to the GC, I thought we may get something a little more significant than an extra 4 racers on the track, which in turn ruined the game basically because the tracks became too wide to accommodate them.

I played RE4 on my mates Wii but I must admit i preferred it on my own GC. Maybe if i spent a bit longer I would have preferred the Wii version .. I admit i am shallow when it comes to games and i look for the best graphics before seeing if i like a game or not, but unless the Wii gets more typical (i.e. 360/ PS3 type games) i will not bother getting one.

I do like the Wii, (as I've already stated), and I'm not a fanboy. I never owned a GameCube - and I didn't even get a N64 until long after the GC had come out.

I felt about the GameCube the way a lot of people feel about the Wii - it's for kids, the graphics suck, and there are no games for it. Now that there's a Wii in the house, I've started looking at GC games - and there were quite a few good ones there - far more than I would have expected.

The Wii isn't perfect - but it's my favorite of the three current consoles - and, yes I've played all three. I haven't owned all three - and I doubt I will. I may pick up a 360 sometime this year, if there's a price drop, which some are calling for. But I'm in no hurry.

I have to disagree with declaration about the PSP just being a glorified media player. It's got some rock solid titles, too. God of War, GTA, Crisis Core, Twisted Metal, Burnout... You know, basically the portable counterparts to all the great games on the PS2/3. (kinda like the DS's best games are carry-overs from Wii/GC/N64). I'm sure if Microsoft release the Xboy or the ZBox or whatever - Halo 2.5 would be it's best game.

The point is - you don't have to hate one to like the other. I own both a DS Lite and PSP Slim. And I don't plan on getting rid of either one - even when I get my Pandora. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

And that's true of the home consoles as well. And that's hard for me to admit as much as I hate the PS3.

declaration said:

What does it make my post? It makes it unbiased ;)

You seem to be under the impression that I'm a prepubescent kid obsessed with GTA. Yes, I love GTA. Am I blind to good titles if they don't have a Mature rating? Don't be foolish. I'll call a spade a spade; Zelda on Wii is good. It's no Ocarina of Time, but it's a great game. Metroid Prime is good, too. Galaxy is brilliant. Everything else is shit. I have no ulterior motive here, unlike you. You're too blinded by your own obsession with Nintento. You NEVER critique them the way ALL companies should be critiqued.

I'm not blinded by "cartoons and lack of swearing", I'm blinded by LACK OF ORIGINAL GAMEPLAY. I have Mario Kart for DS, N64, and SNES. It's all the same. People are so in love with Nintendo that they refuse to see that. They've thrown in a gimmicky wheel, and people flock to the store to buy the game.

We've both been around here a while now, and I think we owe it to OP not to diarrhea all over this thread. We'll have to just walk the other way, like we always do ;)

Back on thread,
No original gameplay? Three good games? Well lets have a little look then shall we?

SSBB: the definite Smash Brothers title. Rated 94 on metacritic. Surely you're not letting your Nintendo hatred get in the way of a great gaming experience.

PES Playmaker: Now I realise you're American so probably like silly sports like Basketball, but this version of the legendary simulator for the most popular sport on the planet, has revolutionised the way sports games can be played. It isn't perfect, but it is a superb example of how limiting traditional control structures can be.

RE4: Yes it's a PORT. But it takes one of the best games ever and makes it a whole lot better. Another example of the superior controls of the wiimote. And another example of the limitations of analogue sticks.

Mario Kart Wii: I don't understand all the hatred shown towards this game. To me the control options, tracks, and online play combine to make this the best Mario Kart title of all time. Yes it isn't revolutionary (apart from the brilliant wheel, but I guess you're too uncoordinated to use that), but it does what it does well. And that is one of the most fun multiplayer experiences around. But you have to have real life friends for that to matter.

Zack and Wiki: brilliant game, could only be done on the Wii. Say no more.

NMH: Not my favourite game, but definitely a very good exclusive, which has racked up some brilliant scores in serious gaming publications.

They are but a few. And that's without even getting to the casual games, which make use of the Wiimote in fun ways. Such as Elebits, Boom Blox, Geometry Wars, Trauma Centre, Mario Strikers, Wiisports, Warioware etc.

And as for GTA, yes it's a good game. But if you've had a go on Godfather Wii, you'd realise how much more fun it could be on the Wii. And that's why it is sad that the Wii isn't more powerful.

It has changed gaming though, and that's something you're just gonna have to live with.

It hasn't changed gaming. It's just bought all the solitaire and flash game playing trash to consoles. With "games" like mysims and brain training, it's pushing the definition so far I'd more liken it to a dvd player than a games console.

Goity said:
It hasn't changed gaming. It's just bought all the solitaire and flash game playing trash to consoles. With "games" like mysims and brain training, it's pushing the definition so far I'd more liken it to a dvd player than a games console.
Don't be stupid.

Look at the plethora of shitty shovelware on the PS2, and tell me that in some way invalidates the many good games. I know I wouldn't let Little Britain the game ruin my enjoyment of God of War.

What is people's obsession with talking about Wii shovelware? The most popular console of its generation always has such games; SNES, PS1, PS2, and now Wii.

declaration said:
Goity said:
Don't be stupid.

Look at the plethora of shitty shovelware on the PS2, and tell me that in some way invalidates the many good games. I know I wouldn't let Little Britain the game ruin my enjoyment of God of War.

What is people's obsession with talking about Wii shovelware? The most popular console of its generation always has such games; SNES, PS1, PS2, and now Wii.

The difference is those other consoles also had great games.

The only thing sustaining it right now is idiot factor. Once all the grannies who buy it die and the little girls get bored of Pippa Funnell, and Katie Price's Perfect Ponies, then it'll stop selling. Face it, Nintendo isn't remotely marketing it towards you, since you're neither a little girl or a gran.

Goity said:
declaration said:
Goity said:
Don't be stupid.

The difference is those other consoles also had great games.

The only thing sustaining it right now is idiot factor. Once all the grannies who buy it die and the little girls get bored of Pippa Funnell, and Katie Price's Perfect Ponies, then it'll stop selling. Face it, Nintendo isn't remotely marketing it towards you, since you're neither a little girl or a gran.

And yet again, you've managed to totally disregard the many good Wii games.

There are too many for me to play to completion; I just haven't the time. Maybe you spend a lot more time playing than me, but even then, it's pretty sad that you can't enjoy great games because there are also some shit ones.

Just don't buy them. It's not difficult.

Goity said:
It has changed gaming... For those who use it. Olympics, Wii Play, Wii Sports... you can't do that on other systems. There's only so much appeal that bowling can be with you are pressing buttons to make it happen. But when you are stepping forward, with your arm held up to line it with the pins, you drop your arm, swing it back and then forward - and give it that spin at just the right moment before you release the ball - that's bowling. That's not pressing buttons to simulate bowling - that's you actually doing it. You don't get points because you timed the cursor to the right place on the sliding scale - you actually had to swing your arm and do it.

And that's just bowling. You've got boxing, tennis, golf, baseball, swimming, dancing, yoga... All things you might not have the time or equipment or money for in real life - but you can do almost the same thing on the Wii - without having to drive, without having to change. Just a couple of minutes of boxing, and back to whatever else you've got to do.

Before you start saying "Do the real thing" let me ask you - do you think Guitar Hero is a good game? What about Rock Band? What's so cool about them? They're just rhythm games for crying out loud. No different than DDR, or freaking Simon Says when you get right down to it. But why they are so (insanely) popular - why people will pay alost $200 just for the game and controllers (you still have to have a system) - why people will pay even *more* for a freaking stage, complete with lighting and smoke machines! - is because actually *going through the motions* is fun. That's something you can do with the Wii - but not without special add-ons on other systems. (The under-used EyeToy, Dancemats, etc.) Does the Wii have addons? Sure - but many of them are not required, (the Wii Wheel, various "Sports packages" with useless tennis racket shells, etc.), but even with just the Wii Remote and the Wii - you can simulate a lot of different activities in a way no other console offers.

All of that - and it still lets you play button mashers as well.

^ @ Declaration - There isn't as many great games on the Wii as you're making out. Trust me. No More Heroes only gets a mention on your behalf and by others because it's the only game of its kind on the Wii (soon to change with Mad World. Anyone seen that thing?) PES 2008, I will admit, is far superior to the 360/ps3 versions. However, it's still not that great and it's a football game and so it's so mainstream that it's virtually mundane. I'm sure it, like many of the other Wii games, gets incredibly boring after awhile.

I'll list what I feel are the good games on the Wii.

Super Mario Galaxy - Good fun until you get to 60 stars and then you never play it again.
Metroid Prime 3 - Fantastic controls. atmosphere is brilliant. A little easy and once you've finished you won't play again... unless you have nothing else to play.
Zelda: Twilight Princess - It's good but the Gamecube version is far superior. Don't believe me? Track it down and play it the way it should be played. Much better. This is coming from someone who has completed it on both consoles.
Zack and Wiki - Very good puzzle game. Incredibly frustrating at some points, putting many off. The Difficulty curve in the later half of the game is ridiculously steep, even for someone like myself. Because of that, it never warranted me finishing the last mission.
Smash Bros. Brawl - good game although I can see why people complained it was just a high res version of Melee but the plenthora of options shows that it is much more. Also the single player is actually pretty good.

Those are really the best of the bunch on the Wii and as you can no doubt see, they are all virtually from Nintendo. But the ones from Nintendo, specifically SMG, MP3 and TP, are only just able to be included here. They weren't that great. This 3rd party support that we hear about from Nintendo has yet to fully be seen. Some companies are making an effort while most are just unwilling to do so, basically because if they label the game correctly idiots will still buy it. Case in point, just look at all of the Hamsterz, Catz, etc. games propping up the DS' sales and same with the Wii's sales.

Hopefully, the 3rd party support will get better. FF:Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers looks fantastic, The Conduit from High Voltage Studios also looks fantastic and many of the indie devs games I'm hearing about are sounding good too (although doubt many will get released).

chad78 said:
Goity said:
<snip>

Actually, the ps3 has the more realistic bowling game in go velocity bowling or whatever it's called.

As for guitar hero? I think it's basically a dance mat for lazy people, so I don't give a crap about it. It's nothing like playing guitar, so imo it's just playing a rhythm game on a clunky controller.

Just got this Game Informer today. Funny coincidence, so I had to scan and post...

lastscan1.jpg

lastscan2.jpg

finty said:
I find it funny how defensive Nintendo Fanboys are.
It's pretty easy to get defensive if it seems that everyone else is continually bashing your favorite system. And believe me, that's what it does seem like. Sure, it's not perfect, but it still has a lot of good aspects.

declaration (and chad78, I suppose): I own a Wii, and I also own every single Nintendo system prior to it (with the notable exception of DS). The Wii does have some very good games, Galaxy and Brawl both being good examples. But I don't think it's brought anything revolutionary to the table, like Nintendo implied. It's a new and different controller, sure. But is it really allowing you to do anything new? The one most consistently pointed feature is IR pointing, but you have the equivalent on a gaming PC. And Wii Sports? Over-simplified minigames. And the controls don't work very well on some of them. I still can't do bowling...

I'm also going to go ahead and take your point of Brawl and MK Wii being the best examples of their respective franchises. I don't like the new Mario Kart at all. The courses are way too big, and the graphics are unnecessarily flashy, in my opinion. If you want to see what I'm talking about with the courses, play an SNES course on the original and the new game. I do enjoy Brawl, but it's considerably slower than Melee. It will be both better and worse in competitive play, and I don't know which I prefer more.

I'm still waiting for something truly revolutionary.

Goity: You're right and wrong. No, it hasn't done anything revolutionary. But you can't just blame motion controls for shovelware. PS2 had plenty of that, every generation has a system with that issue. It all has to do with the popularity of the system. And since Wii is also cheaper to develop for (and people continue to geta way with crap graphics), it's an easy choice for people trying to make a quick buck.

Ganepark32: I can almost see what you're saying with Galaxy, but I definitely milked it for a lot more than those 60 stars. :lol: And this could just be me, but I didn't enjoy the new Metroid that much...

How exactly was Zelda better on Gamecube? :huh: I was under the impression that the combos would be really tough to pull off.

Oh, and don't blame Zack and Wiki if you're not smart enough for it. ;)

DCGM: Bias is how you perceive something. Even if you own a Wii, that doesn't mean you like it. Don't hide behind logical fallacies and snobbery. If you don't like it, just say so. :lol:

I think I'm gonna go get Z&W later on, see what the fuss is about.

Back