Why EXACTLY is GameCube emulation so "unachievable"?

For proper dreamcast, gamecube, even Wii gaming on the go,

you need John Doe's Portable Gaming Rig.

The JDPGR mechanism is considerably more powerful than a Pandora 1GHz.

I love my Pandora, but it simply can't compete with a blue-chip system like the JDPGR.

pandora%20alternative%20inspired%20by%20john%20doe%20from%20the%20blog.gif

Yup it indeed is way better and has better grafics and performance get one before is to late everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't really thinking WII emulation (although that would be nice). I would just really like the ability to play Super Mario Sunchine on the go without custom building a GameCube portable device that was all the rage a few years ago

I wasn't really thinking WII emulation (although that would be nice). I would just really like the ability to play Super Mario Sunchine on the go without custom building a GameCube portable device that was all the rage a few years ago

Wii and Gamecube emulation require pretty much the same specs.

The wii isnt much more powerful then the Gamecube, in fact they are both about the same in hardware, the wii is pretty much an overclocked Gamecube.

Wii and Gamecube emulation require pretty much the same specs.

The wii isnt much more powerful then the Gamecube, in fact they are both about the same in hardware, the wii is just an overclocked Gamecube.

Errol if it worked it to have WII emulation, that'd be great, but my personal "goal" is to help ED and the team in every way to make the P2 support GameCube emulation

Because..... it takes a high end gaming PC to use the emulators that exist today

Are you going to open more threads asking for Crysis 2?

... my personal "goal" is to help ED and the team in every way to make the P2 support GameCube emulation

So start porting Dolphin to arm and write a GLES renderer. And better start now, as it may take a while.

... my personal "goal" is to help ED and the team in every way to make the P2 support GameCube emulation

So start porting Dolphin to arm and write a GLES renderer. And better start now, as it may take a while.

I have dabbled in Java and objective C for mobile app development, but I am by no means a programmer. However, if there is anything I can do to help, I'd love to.

Learn how to port stuff or throw money at developers, who can actually do it ;)

Yes, it will be doable if the right people think it's worthwile and have the time and motivation to do it.

Of course I think of a Pandora 2 with a a-15 processor etc. Of course it won't work for the Pandora 1 or very very slow.

For proper dreamcast, gamecube, even Wii gaming on the go,

you need John Doe's Portable Gaming Rig.

The JDPGR mechanism is considerably more powerful than a Pandora 1GHz.

I love my Pandora, but it simply can't compete with a blue-chip system like the JDPGR.

pandora%20alternative%20inspired%20by%20john%20doe%20from%20the%20blog.gif
Yup it indeed is way better and has better grafics and performance get one before is to late everyone!
I just died so many times that I ran out of Phoenix Downs...

~Polukus~

I understand many topics have been made about this before. However, none of them go into the specifics. I am curious why Dolphin Emulator will not run on a Pandora. I know that even on the 1ghz unit it would likely be about 1.5 FPS, but that's a good start in my opinion. So why is everyone so afraid to try?
Dolphin cannot be run on ARM based systems because the Dynarec is written for x86 and x64. The Gamecube doesn't have a particularly fast CPU, but the system is fairly complex from a coding standpoint. I'm not gonna bother looking up the details... I just know writing and perfecting a completely new dynarec for ARM would be an extremely daunting task and is probably why we don't have a Gamecube emulator for ARM yet. 

doesn't have a particularly fast CPU
Emulating ~480mhz on ~600-1000mhz of a different architecture means you need to have very little overhead and emulate the non-cpu parts of the system incredibly efficiently.

I understand many topics have been made about this before. However, none of them go into the specifics. I am curious why Dolphin Emulator will not run on a Pandora. I know that even on the 1ghz unit it would likely be about 1.5 FPS, but that's a good start in my opinion. So why is everyone so afraid to try?
Dolphin cannot be run on ARM based systems because the Dynarec is written for x86 and x64. The Gamecube doesn't have a particularly fast CPU, but the system is fairly complex from a coding standpoint. I'm not gonna bother looking up the details... I just know writing and perfecting a completely new dynarec for ARM would be an extremely daunting task and is probably why we don't have a Gamecube emulator for ARM yet. 
Thats a damn shame. What all is involved in this? Who would have the expertise to do this kind of thing?

There's currently an arm-port of dolphin (and a GLeS3-video-plugin) in development. Here's the git-branch. Don't know how far along it is, but with the speed at which ARM-chips are getting faster, I guess we'll be able to play gamecube-games on handhelds/smartphones relatively soon.

Back