Why So Much Hatred Here?

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
I've been getting more and more concerned as time went by about how this split between Wiz, GP2X, and Pandora, is taking effect.

Here's my lil rant:
For the most part I've been very quiet here, ever since I got my first Pandora devkit, sheeze, around a year ago. Things were already getting ugly then, and I had people I didn't even know dislike me. One such person, Orkie, seems to hate my guts, and I didn't know why until someone said it was due to being friends with Craigix. At that time I would rarely speak to Craig, if anything I would speak mostly to Michael Weston (MWeston) who actually designed the Pandora. I definitely found out Orkie despised me when I leaked the Wiz photo. I thought the design of two solid dpads was a bad choice, I let the people know, and GPH fixed it. I still don't think that was a bad move, as it let GPH get some good feedback before they did ship.
But beyond working on psx4pandora and doing a quick port of Franxis' pot of MAME called mame4all (we'll get to that) to Pandora, I've tried to keep as low a profile here as possible. I did not want more people to dislike me for some side they think I take. I did not want to play politics here. Instead I keep to myself and work on the iPhone. So why am I getting completely trashed on gp32spain? I figured it was just some oddity.

I didn't want to get pulled into this. But then I see Franxis being quoted as angry at me right here on gp32x.de. What have I done that is so wrong that I am being hated on? I answered to all of Franxis requests and I get an "OK" and a continuation of why he's angry. To say you won't develop on the Dingoo and cancel your order because I mentioned I was going to port your code (which is open source, just like the code you based it upon) is truly rediculous, as is refusing to port to the Pandora over politics.
So this hate, is it all because I speak to Craig? I don't have a Wiz but I have a Pandora? It truly saddens me when I see someone in "my same shoes" turn on me for such petty reasons.

But it seems a lot of this is going on here. We don't need to take sides, and we can coexist easily. This isn't GP2X VS PSP even. PSP didn't have the same intentions of an open platform. Open as in, open to everyone. The GP2X, the Wiz, and the Pandora are all open devices. But it won't be open and freely available, if you start to see people get "exclusives".
For example, I can now easily see that developers for one system won't open their code for another system to use. You will start seeing more exclusive work.

So either take sides and round up your devs as if your PSP depended on it, or get along and enjoy more software. I'm not mad at anyone here, nor do I dislike anyone here. Join me on that. Stop the versus crap, and stop the attacks on people here.

Thanks,
ZodTTD

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Zod, I for one love you =] (in a non-literal sense ;P). I really appreciate your work, and I agree that all this drama is getting ridiculous. All this quarrelling just ends up hurting the end user. I never really understood why people get so worked up over other devices existing. If people stopped being such fanboys maybe we would see more cross-platform programs. All this negativity is stunting the growth of the scene. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to your port of mame, and I wish there was more I could do to return the favor. Just ignore the nay-sayers & keep on keepin on. Who cares if some internet folks hate you for no good reason; that's their loss.

Heh thanks for the love. :)

I reread what I wrote and it's misdirected.

If the Pandora had stayed in the jokes section, there wouldn't be things like this.

I just want people to avoid comments like Shifty's here. If you're calling the Pandora (or Wiz for example) a joke, it's exactly what I'm asking people to avoid. It's the divide I want people to put aside.

people are spoiled pricks. I say, if you have the time to work with multiple platforms, why should anyone persuade or bully you otherwise? It's counter productive overall.

The above statement is preaching to the choir though, so I'll balance out the carebear statement above with , well, you're all a bunch of spoiled pricks.

Have a great evening, jerks.

Consequence9: Thanks for the kindness. As for the MAME port, perhaps Franxis will come around and give the Pandora some MAME4ALL love. I just wanted some nice source to test one of the Pandora devboards I had, it was just for fun like all this should be. Now I worry if I update mame4all on the Pandora I'll get backlash. That sort of worry isn't something I look forward to, and is a reason behind the OT.

Not much to add except that I agree with your sentiments Zod, and I hope things improve. I don't know how internet grudges can get so out of hand on a site built around a common love of video games. I guess all our inner children got tuberculosis and died.

i don't get this either.
we all come from the gp32 which was an amazing console and we all continued supporting the open source handheld idea with the gp2x. and now we have more than one open console which is great and now we are fanboys? what the heck?

we are one family, we should all remeber that!

Unfortunately there are people who will hate you for the most fickle of reasons. You're only trying to make a bit of a difference and someone out here will have an opposite opinion. I found this out shortly after been given Mod status when suddenly people who were really nice to me turned quite cold.

When this place was just about the GP32 it was obvious there wasn't a split, but now we have 4 consoles on our lists, possibly 5, it is inevitable we will have a bit of a divide and therefore some kind of rivalry. Please try not to take it to heart, I did once and got very upset but now I realise it's just people being idiots, not forgetting we have some younger members here who (I have to be tactful here but it's true) have not yet matured. Classic example is Pete, aka SpamFisher, he was once (And I bet he would agree) a complete spanner but now he's a really nice respected member of our forums and simply because he grew up.

One of the things that originally gave these forums it's edge was the fact that the GP32 was a sort of Retro device enjoyed mainly by people who were in that scene, and that generally meant the older crowd. But that has changed a lot over the years and I might add for the better as I love the ideas and input the new kids on the block are bringing. But that does pull GP32X slightly into the realms of the PSP style boards.

My advice is try and brush off the insults, I know it may be upsetting but life is like that, you will never please everyone all of the time so keep up the good work as we all love you really.

Clare.

I agree with your sentiments Zod, and concur that we all need to work on getting along. I, for one, am tending towards totally ignoring anyone in this scene who starts casting nasties about others in the scene .. there is just No Good Reason for sewing dischord among this community, other than that you perhaps maybe want to see it fail in some way.

One thing we can be sure, is that when we all work together and cooperate, great things happen .. no question about it. We should also keep an eye on the fact that so much *good* work comes out of this community precisely because talented people like Zod and Orkie work with other people to get it done - that there is an 'alpha dog' "gotta be praised more than [x]" style mentality is just a huge distraction from the fact: we all want to play, have fun, do creative and entertaining things, and without each other this wouldn't be so possible.

Me, personally .. I ignore anyone who has something negative to say about the other personalities in this forum. I don't know any of you well enough to be able to judge who is 'right' and 'wrong' in a conversation, and anyway its tiresome to have to deal with such a rubbish psychological basis of opinion. I don't care if you smell - your code either rocks and I'm running it or it doesn't and I won't touch it, ever.

Lets all try to commit to a lot more peace-making and progressive creativity among ourselves, and try to weed out this discontent .. which, frankly, seriously seems to have the purpose of muddying the pool. We're, in many ways, a healthy community, but we have our weaknesses and fracture and dischord, and more to the point how *easy* it is to induce such conditions, is a big weakness. Never forget that there are definitely people who wouldn't be happy if this community continued to grow and prosper, and anyone attempting to hinder that growth needs to be sorted out, fast.

In my opinion, if you're going to spew words of hatred and vitriol towards *any* member of this group that is actually working on code and making progress, or even anyone at all, regardless of their contributions, then you're going to get ignored, and thrown in the round-file of "People Who Aren't Worth The Effort of Being Paid Attention" ..

In short, :wiz: + gp32_console + :pandora2: + :pandora1: == One Big Lovin' Community of Great people. :rolleyes:

To some degree it has always been like this. When this forum was just for the GP32 and someone dared to mention a Zodiac there was always a few "you're biased - what would you know" type posts. The difference now is that the forum covers more that one system and there is the inevitable cross-pollination. Should the forum be completely split? Nah - the benefits outweight the hassle of watching a few fanboys argue.

Generally, if you take a step back, the arguments are usually quite comical. Hard to do if you are directly involved I know, but for those that aren't you should treat it as a bit of light entertainment. Hey - no-one's forcing you to read every single post are they?

John

I don't know why people bother arguing about if the Pandora or Wiz is better. There is some overlap, but for the most part, they're completely different systems. The Pandora is larger and more expensive but has a powerful CPU, GPU and DSP, larger screen, more memory for heavy-duty games(Quake III, etc) emulation(fullspeed PSX, possibly playable DC or PSP) and videos, witha big battery and keyboard for UMPC features, while the Wiz is cheaper and smaller for less processor demanding games, emus, media playback etc. People choose one or the other because it suits their needs, and arguing about it is pointless.

I think a lot of the more established users have 'gone to ground' until Wiz / Pandora break cover. The vacuum is being filled, but its not representative of the vast majority of users who I think believe all 3 systems (gp2x, Wiz and Pandora) can happily co-exist.

Zodttd - your work is much appreciated - please don't take the bickering of those impatient for their new device plus a few bitter individuals to put you off.

I think a lot of members that don't have feelings of hate towards anyone just don't post as much to avoid getting neck deep in shit. There are a small (larger these days) few that really press the differences between the groups and help push people on one side or another. I love everyone.

I do not hate anybody, nor do I dislike for association. If people need an epic fairytale-esque battle of Good vs. Evil, feel free to cast me however you wish but it is starting to get a bit wearing.

zodttd posted on May 19 2009 at 05:09 AM said:
stop the attacks on people here.
And on IRC too please zodttd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back