Will the 1ghz units replace the standard model in the future?

You can still buy OMAP3530, they have long term support for legacy applications despite being superseded. Even if DM3730s are the same price or cheaper OPT may decide to keep selling both as a market segmentation strategy..

Out of curiousity, would 1GHz motherboards ever be available separately in the future, as a drop-in replacement for the old motherboards? Would Pandora 2 motherboards (whatever they end up being) be a drop-in replacement?

I haven't gotten my Pandora yet, but I've been considering paying the extra for the upgrade, but the main thing holding me back is the thought that I might actually get my regular slow Pandora faster than an upgraded one... just wondering if upgrading in the future is a possible scenario.

--Zero

There might be a few of the 1ghz pandoras still left from the 150 that were available.Pandora 2 could be a total redesign and so id doubt it would drop in to an old pandora 1 case.Id say the motherboards might be available but you can send in your pandora and they will upgrade you to a 1ghz model too.

I'm hoping this does not divide the community between the 600MHz and the 1GHz Pandora wielders. Craigix already mentioned that the 1GHz Pandoras will love the new amiga 1200 emulation so I'm supposing that it's going to be a hard ride for the older pandoras to run it successfully. This is rift one for me in what was supposed to be a standardised piece of kit that will only be upgraded after, say, 5 years. Now we have 256MB Pandas, 512MB/600MHz Pandoras, and 512MB/1GHz Pandoras before even all the batch twos are out. I hope that most devs stick to the 256/600 specs when writing their software so it won't determine who can or can't run certain things.

EDIT: Before saying it won't make much difference, my Pandora won't clock over 850MHz-900MHz and for example, using firefox 13 and opening a few extra tabs already makes it unusable with just 256MB ram, even with the zram option of the 3.xx kernel so a difference IS there already with the upgraded specs :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't think there is currently anything that would only run on new units and not on 256M unit, and 1200 emulation porting is done on the old unit, it does not benefit even from more RAM at all.

For firefox you should use swapfile, it can easily eat 512MB too.

Well I don't think there is currently anything that would only run on new units and not on 256M unit, and 1200 emulation porting is done on the old unit, it does not benefit even from more RAM at all.

For firefox you should use swapfile, it can easily eat 512MB too.

thanks, i'll try the swapfile and i'll call mozilla to lower the memory gluttony too!

This is all great, nice to see some upgrades. And this Andorid port, if that goes smooth I can see pandora hitting mainstream community. Who knows

I've been able to overclock my Pandora to 1ghz anyway, so I'm not so excited about the upgrade (although I will get the new boards once they become more widely available) ..

I hear there will be 180 1ghz units now instead of 150. Is this official?

I'm hoping this does not divide the community between the 600MHz and the 1GHz Pandora wielders. Craigix already mentioned that the 1GHz Pandoras will love the new amiga 1200 emulation so I'm supposing that it's going to be a hard ride for the older pandoras to run it successfully. This is rift one for me in what was supposed to be a standardised piece of kit that will only be upgraded after, say, 5 years. Now we have 256MB Pandas, 512MB/600MHz Pandoras, and 512MB/1GHz Pandoras before even all the batch twos are out. I hope that most devs stick to the 256/600 specs when writing their software so it won't determine who can or can't run certain things.

EDIT: Before saying it won't make much difference, my Pandora won't clock over 850MHz-900MHz and for example, using firefox 13 and opening a few extra tabs already makes it unusable with just 256MB ram, even with the zram option of the 3.xx kernel so a difference IS there already with the upgraded specs :(

have you seen the discution about DC lately? sure, you will be able to run all software on both pandora, but the difference between the old one and the DM3730 might be the difference between a playable DC emu and an unplayable one...

im a late batch 1 still waiting guy, I really want the 3730 in my pandy i just need to justify the extra expense to the mrs.... she wants to spend it on paint and nice food. crap like that

im a late batch 1 still waiting guy, I really want the 3730 in my pandy i just need to justify the extra expense to the mrs.... she wants to spend it on paint and nice food. crap like that

An 1ghz pandy is worth a lot more then eating paint and rubbing good food on the walls.

Nice food's subjective. Hunt around & you can find some nice cheap gemstones among the see of rubbish foods. That said, you can can also find decently tasty cheap foods too. I'd honestly avoid gemstones in the food unless you're an earth elemental or a dragon.

Honestly, though, I think we all would love to see some generous investor come & pour tons of money into this so the 1Ghz models will quickly become the standard and affordable enough for everyone to upgrade or replace at a reasonable cost.

I go to Tescos after the Gym, a reasonably quiet 24 hour branch, it's deserted after 10pm.

That also happens to be when they reduce the food with 1-2 days shelf life by 95%, often down to things like 9p, 20p etc. they put

all this at the back of the store, in a spot where they then take it to burn at about 11pm. Few people even know it's there.

I bought a second freezer on ebay just to store it.

I still feel like I'm sort of stealing from them, and have enough food to last for months, especially frozen meat.

The best thing? Sometimes if an item is 'buy 3, get one free' the offer will still work, sending the self service till in to reverse.

Buy 3 reduced £3 items for 20p each and it gives you £3 off the 60p total. If this happens you have to have something like a

sly bottle of wine in the trolly to put though to take the balance back in to the +. If it does not happen just abandon the wine

at the till.

Good times.

When we had zero money this is how I survived for several months.

Back