Would You Buy Stock In Openpandora?

I choose...

• I would buy stock because I know it will be profitable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would buy stock because I believe in the ideals and want to put my money where my mouth is

• I would wait for the company strategy and weigh potential profit against the starting offer first

• I would not because I don't think it is a profitable idea or there are more profitable stocks out th

• I don’t believe in the stock market or don't invest in entertainment stock

• Total voters

I have a few grand in shares (not doing too well atm to be honest) but personally I would invest but it wouldn't be to make money. I would do it to support the ideals and qualities of the company, hence even if the Pandora isn't as great as we all hope i'll still (probably) buy one.

I've never bought any stock before, but I might try it if it was relatively cheap. Then again, I don't know how expensive it is on average, Google (the only one I know offhand) is at $586.30, but I suspect that's considerably higher than average. I guess if it was less than $100 I might.

I've got stock in a few "idealistic" stock, that I know I won't make much money. (Actually doing the best this year of my portfolio).

Green and medical stock, but I have not invested in open source before.

Anyway, over here, it cost about $20-$30 for a trade for anything under $10,000. You can buy a single 10c stock if you want. So you can invest as little or as much as you want. I use CommSec.

I don't think that's the point of the open source movement. I don't think they'd want to sell stock in the first place.

jbr said:
I don't think that's the point of the open source movement. I don't think they'd want to sell stock in the first place.

The Open Source movement makes all kinds of money. Mozilla is a for-profit company. Sun makes tons of money off of its open source projects (OpenOffice.org - and now Java and Solaris). Novell makes money from open source. So does RedHat. So does Google. Open source software ≠ non-profit. You can sell support, hardware, training, training materials. Nokia uses open source software on its hardware - but it charges for the hardware. Dell makes money off of every computer it sells, even the ones with Linux.

Besides, this is a hardware company. The software might be free, but the hardware isn't. They will make a profit, (maybe not a huge one at first) off of every unit they sell. The first units were sold at or below cost, to get them into the hands of the developers. The developers, who for the most part, are volunteers. I mean, they even had to pay (not much, but something) for the hardware. So, the software might be free (and I don't know if the whole OS will be or not) as in beer and free as in freedom - but the company is in place to make money.

I would invest, because I think it will be profitable. I see a huge chance for Pandora to be the next Eee PC product, or the next iPhone. By that I don't mean it will replace either of those products - but it has the potential to become a genre-defining product. The Gaming UMPC, or the Console with a computer inside, or the pocketable laptop, the Netbook for gamers, the Fun MID.... whatever. The name of Genre isn't important - because if this takes off like I hope and think it will, every follow-up competitor will just be called a "Pandora killer" if its almost as good and a "Mee Too Pandora" if it's not - and a "Pandora wannabe" if it sucks.

It's a genius product, and if it's marketed well, it could be the next iPod. So, hell yes, I'd invest.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's surviving and growing. You list to attract investment. You need investment to grow faster and buy those Capcom licenses you will never use. ;)

People are more likely to invest in something like this than a bank. You would need a business case or a very drunk banker to find investment for a game console that is coming out of left field.

And I would think that gaining comminity investment rather than investment from large corperations or banks would be more suited to an open source focused company.

I hadn't really considered this possibility... I might have to think about this some before voting.

icurafu said:
It's surviving and growing. You list to attract investment. You need investment to grow faster and buy those Capcom licenses you will never use. ;)
:lol:

Snu said:
you need an option for 'i would buy stock if i had money for it'
as it is, ill barely have enough for the pandora itself...
this

i will most probably go overdrawn when i buy my pandora,
but theres not a chance on earth that im missing one of the first 3000.

LOL stockmarket.

280px-Window_jump_ghetto_Warsaw.jpg

Slightly more mature answer: No, because I tend to be be rather risk averse which makes me incompatible with the stockmarket.

NO. Putting something on the stock market shows that you care about profit more than about making a good product.

Because on the stock market it means you have to answer to your shareholders, and you could possibly be open to a hostile takeover. Just look up the news about Microsoft trying to take over yahoo, and yahoo digging it's own grave trying to avoid it.

Back