Xreader 2beta

schan

Still Fresh
Hello,

This is a new version of a text reader for the gp2x. The main new features are multilingual and skins support.
An extract from the readme.txt:

The main features of Xreader are:
- Reads text encoded as iso8859-1 and utf-8
- Simple formatting (margins, justification and indent).
- Can choose beetwen several fonts.
- List of recent files, remembering the last point of reading
- Multilingual
- Skinable interface

Install
----------

To install Xreader, simply copy the folder "xreader2b" to the memory card or to the nand. Then you will find two new items inside the Utility menu:
- xreader.gpu: That is the program
- xreader50.gpu: That is a script that launches the program at 50MHz (instead of the standard 200Mhz), saving batteries, although it is slower. You can edit this script and set the speed you like.

Usage
--------

In every menu it is written the function of every button. As a general rule, B is used to select and option and START to go back to the main menu.

When reading a text, the buttons are:

- X: Show or hide the status bar
- Up: Go up one line
- Down: Go down one line
- Left: go up one page
- Right, L or R: go down one page
- START: go to main menu

DOWNLOAD HERE

can you make it so it is compatible with .ttf fonts for different languages?
I would really appreciate that because i want to read farsi and avestan script and have the .ttf files.

Purist posted on Aug 14 2006 at 06:37 AM said:
I would really appreciate that because i want to read farsi and avestan script and have the .ttf files.

Yes, I am working on it and the final version will use ttf fonts

Last edited by a moderator:
the weird line breaks that are in almost every other reader (including the embedded one) are present here.

once, the reader hanged while loading a text file after i adjusted the margins from 4 to 0.

still, i am definitely keeping my eye on this one...

What a great little text reader. The only things I could think about adding are smaller fonts (which should be covered with full TTF support) and maybe listening to music at the same time. As is, it's worlds better than the included one, and GPH would be wise to use this as the official, and credit you.

Very good job !
I'am french and encoded format is not perfect. 1 Syntax is not correctly
supported : ' used for l'avion, l'armée, l'oiseau.

I've tried all the other text readers and this is the best one.

The 50mhz option is a battery lifesaver, a great option in my opinion.

Great work, hope it gets even better.

schan posted on Aug 14 2006 at 08:05 AM said:
Purist posted on Aug 14 2006 at 06:37 AM said:

Yes, I am working on it and the final version will use ttf fonts

Yeah, with both ttf and unicode support, CJK characters might be finally rendered correctly.

Thanks for your comments.
I am keeping track all the issues you say and i will try to fix them. Hopefully most of them will be resolved with the TTF font support.

Hi,

I have made a small update that decreases the loading time in a half. Here there are 2 download links:

* xreader-2-beta.zip . The new version

* xreader.gpu (zipped). Only the executable. You can use this if you have previously installed Xreader 2 beta. Unzip and overwrite xreader.gpu.

HACHA posted on Aug 16 2006 at 11:39 PM said:
This is a great program! Wayy better than the crappy built in one. Do you think you can add an auto-fix function to fix formatting issues in Project Gutenberg books?

Yes, i am working on a feature to remove single line breaks. I mean, keeping line breaks when there are 2 together (or an empty line, wich it is the same) but removing them if there is only one.

Hello schan!
Let's make translation to the Russian! I can't read any Russian text in X-Reader and i can't made menu translation on Russian! Contact me please! X.XaM_MaX.X_NO_SPAM_@mail.ru (remove _NO_SPAM_)!

The project goes on, although i have been busy these last days.
Necromancer, the bookmarks should be saved automatically, and when opening a file from "recent files" menu should restore the last point. However there is a bug in the current version and sometimes they are not saved. Actually the bug is that filesystem is not synchronized, so changes are not actually saved sometimes.
I have fixed that bug but now there are other things broken so as soon as i have a stable version i will post here.

schan posted on Aug 25 2006 at 08:22 PM said:
The project goes on, although i have been busy these last days.
Necromancer, the bookmarks should be saved automatically, and when opening a file from "recent files" menu should restore the last point. However there is a bug in the current version and sometimes they are not saved. Actually the bug is that filesystem is not synchronized, so changes are not actually saved sometimes.
I have fixed that bug but now there are other things broken so as soon as i have a stable version i will post here.
Oh, didn't notice this auto-bookmark system!
Awesome!
Keep up the good work. ;)

Back