Your Favourite Pandora Moment So Far...

A guy in my office refers to my unit as 'vapourware'. Mind you, he has an iPad, so maybe he can't even see the pandora.

^ lol

My fave panda moment so far is sitting on the balcony in the sunshine and IRCing/websurfing.

quartercast said:
My fave panda moment so far is sitting on the balcony in the sunshine and IRCing/websurfing.
It really works well enough in the sun? Craig did a video where it was kinda still visible, but to hear someone actually finds it usable in the sun is very heartening :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
It really works well enough in the sun? Craig did a video where it was kinda still visible, but to hear someone actually finds it usable in the sun is very heartening :)
FWIW (for me), it works in the sun as long as the sun isnt shining straight onto the screen (from behind you).

OMG those graphics, it reminds me of Liero.
really need some online liero action.

Doing :
# sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
(long wait)
then :
# openoffice.org
and 10 secs later I was blown away ! It was already up and running ! That's faster than my Thinkpad X40 !!
This beast can do it all !

urjaman said:
WizardStan said:
FWIW (for me), it works in the sun as long as the sun isnt shining straight onto the screen (from behind you).

For me, it works in the sun so long as the sun isn't shining.

DroneB Dev said:
OMG those graphics, it reminds me of Liero.
really need some online liero action.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55132-openlierox/

-God Ginrai

may88 said:
Bugger - I was going to write something like this. Guess tank games have been done to death.

My favourite Pandora moment was the unboxing. Ripping open the bag and without any buggering about opening the box and then looking up as Bobby steps out the shower saying, "You're not Pam!".

The NetMaze game is very simple and doesn't really have a maze. Still loads of fun.
I once used that game to demonstrate the concept of a network at a summer camp I was teaching at.
The IPX protocol can really light up a network hub.

A native Pandora multiplayer tank game would be very cool. I say make one if you're interested and capable.
Having ricochet shots and maze-like boards like in the Atari 2600 Combat would be awesome.

Back on topic:
Someone said the Pandora looks like an original cellphone compared to modern devices.
I laughed and thought how it would look even more retro with the original square lid. :)

Alerino said:
Chero said:
Doing :
(long wait)
then :
# openoffice.org
and 10 secs later I was blown away ! It was already up and running ! That's faster than my Thinkpad X40 !!

are you booting debian from SD? report

^This!

More data is required. I figured the first we'd see of openoffice is as a pnd. I didn't think it'd fit on the nand.

Here's something else I didn't expect either that is definitely in my top ten 'moments':

http://www.youtube.com/v/2YajD1PLUfA

chaosmage said:
Alerino said:
Chero said:
Doing :
(long wait)
then :
# openoffice.org

^This!

More data is required. I figured the first we'd see of openoffice is as a pnd. I didn't think it'd fit on the nand.

Here's something else I didn't expect either that is definitely in my top ten 'moments':

Stuckie's Ubuntu extension has Open Office in it. Starts suprisingly quickly, and loading up basic files works very quickly (actually better than Abiword). More advanced documents with tables and stuff in don't fare so well though.

SomeGuy99 said:
chaosmage said:
Alerino said:
Chero said:
Doing :
(long wait)
then :
# openoffice.org

^This!

Stuckie's Ubuntu extension has Open Office in it. Starts suprisingly quickly, and loading up basic files works very quickly (actually better than Abiword). More advanced documents with tables and stuff in don't fare so well though.

Sure, but that requires a good deal more storage space to run Ubuntu. I snagged the Gimp .pnd file that was made and it seems to work fine. I'd love to see openoffice wrapped in the same manner.

chaosmage said:
SomeGuy99 said:
chaosmage said:
Alerino said:
Chero said:
Doing :
(long wait)
then :
# openoffice.org

^This!

Sure, but that requires a good deal more storage space to run Ubuntu. I snagged the Gimp .pnd file that was made and it seems to work fine. I'd love to see openoffice wrapped in the same manner.
Sorry, didn't see the replies earlier ...

I prefer the debian extend (not the ubuntu one).
No need for a pnd, just use Stuckie's extend system. I just had to apt-get it and it was running, nothing difficult about it and even more flexible to have it that way than to have it in a pnd.
I'm also running evolution, connected to exchange. And gtk-gnutella. And others (xournal, torrent downloads, ...).

Get a big SD(16Gb), partition it(4,11,0.5), boot from it(4Gb - ext2), put the extends in a different partition(11Gb - fat32), same as your pnds, create a swap-partition (0.5Gb) and PLAY with "opkg" and "apt-get" !
The pandora is just AWESOME ! It does all I ask, and faster than I could ever imagine.
MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR CARD FROM TIME TO TIME. (or don't, when everything goes lost, you can have great fun for the second time setting it all up again :eek: )

Sitting on my terrace 1 story above my apartment with my pandora attached to a couple of small speakers, my nas mounted, playing songs drinking a beer smoking some herb and enjoying a sun set with friends. All that with a better connection than my old laptop used to have and 7 hours of battery time.

:D it's summer :D

Alerino said:
Bosbeetle said:
smoking some herb

and people say stereotypes are wrong

edit: and i lol'ed

When in the netherlands do as we do. Erm well the next day was also nice without the beer and without the smoke albeit with a fierce game of settlers of katan city and knights.

Bosbeetle said:
Alerino said:
Bosbeetle said:
smoking some herb

When in the netherlands do as we do. Erm well the next day was also nice without the beer and without the smoke albeit with a fierce game of settlers of katan city and knights.

Did you have it with a pancake?

SomeGuy99 said:
Bosbeetle said:
Alerino said:
Bosbeetle said:
smoking some herb

Did you have it with a pancake?

nope no wooden shoes, dykes or hookers either :p

Apologies if this is considered a gravedig. More units due to ship soon, so might be an appropriate bump...

My favorite Pandora moment was watching the Red Sox game here at work, end of the shift, games in xtra innings. Fire up Pandora, tether to phone (via USB) run the video stream from my house via Mplayer, listened / watched the remainder of the game on the trip home. We lost but at least I didn't miss it!!

That is pretty cool. :D I take it that the stream didn't drop out or become unwatchable?

And don't worry, I don't think that your post could rightfully be considered a gravedig. :p

I have starmedia player - http://www.fightersoft.ro/index.php?pid=9&lg=en&mid - installed on my windoze box. Of course you need a video capture card to feed the application. Once you have the Starmedia Player configured and broadcasting your video feed (this is the tedious part depending on the vid cap card you use), just run Mplayer open location - mms://(insert your dyndns name here):whatever port you opened in your router and TaDa it opens. I found that 120 kbps for video and 20 for audio works well, no stutter. looks ok.

Changing the channel was possible serial port to cat5 on the direcTV STB, but I haven't figured out a way to change channels remotely on Comcast box. I think it may be possible using an IR blaster and tunneling in to the streaming machine.. but I haven't gotten around to sorting that out.

Back