2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

And the poll was mostly conjecture about possible designs, until Kagato stepped up with some, and everybody after that agreed his was the way to go. Could there be a new poll, these next to Kagato's?

Paradox said:
this sucks, so the final design for the first batch is going to actually have the text "First Batch" on it? I can't believe they went with that in the end.. it's so crappy looking. the ideas from other people like simply using the pandora logo was perfect.

and BT? everytime I look at that i'm going to think BritishTelecom..
First Batch looks awesome. This is the First Batch, it deserves nothing less than a proper, valid name printed on it. It will only get sweeter over time to look at it after batch 2, 3, 4... and Pandora 2, 3... They made the right decision.

Prometheus said:
MarkoeZ said:
Also very happy that the First Batch text is still there!!!
Me too. Though I had voted for the "1-in-a-box" in the poll that happened a while back, I later changed my mind - I'm still very fond of how "First Batch" has become part of the vernacular, and I'm glad to see it immortalised here. :p
Absolutely agreed!

Dead1nside said:
I can't believe nobody else is a bit disappointed with the final silk screening.

The suggestions put forward by forum members, or an amalgamation of them would've looked much better. The particular version of the SD card numbers look tacky, the Wi-Fi icon was not the best one and the microphone looks way out of place. That BT logo is horrible, I don't know whether it's the font or size or what it's just bad. There's no constant design abstraction through the icons. A big shame.
Of course some people are disappointed, that goes without saying no matter what you end up deciding. Also, whining about the BT logo is ridiculous at this point, can we all just get something better to do than be anal about a label for some triviality? Scrap it off. Buy a sticker.

God Ginrai said:
EvilDragon said:
The First Batch text is there (and no box with a 1 or whatever), since it won the poll. Even Craig and Michael voted for the box with the 1, however, we kept it because the Pandora is a community device and the community decided with a poll.
Maybe a compromise could be reached? (Instead of the Pandora logo next to "First Batch" it could have the Pandora logo with the 1 over it.) I'm not concerned about this part at all, just thought I'd suggest it for those who are displeased.
No "1" in the logo thanks, that design was stylistically forced and unaesthetic from the start.

MDave said:
I can't believe that douchebag that made all those fake accounts to tilt the poll over has actually gotten away with it. The poll was the opposite until that happened.
Uh, the poll was momentarily dipped towards the other end only because it was created shortly after the competing designs were introduced, of course there was a slight boom in popularity (I can't believe I'm talking about a fucking silkscreen like this, but this is serious business).

fischju2000 said:
And the poll was mostly conjecture about possible designs, until Kagato stepped up with some, and everybody after that agreed his was the way to go.
No, we didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead1nside said:
I can't believe nobody else is a bit disappointed with the final silk screening.

The suggestions put forward by forum members, or an amalgamation of them would've looked much better. The particular version of the SD card numbers look tacky, the Wi-Fi icon was not the best one and the microphone looks way out of place. That BT logo is horrible, I don't know whether it's the font or size or what it's just bad. There's no constant design abstraction through the icons. A big shame.
Probably because it looks terrific.

I like the "First Batch" text. I must admit that I was less keen on the "1" interfering in the logo.
(But it doesn't bother me either way).

I sure hope nobody still curses the silk screen while playing my games :(

Evil Dragon, if your still reading this thread, at least check out some of suggestions Kagato posted: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50155-pics-from-mweston-silk-screen-design/page__view__findpost__p__767288

And for the record, I don't care what it will say on the first batch anymore, as long as it looks good and not too prominent. I just find it highly annoying someone got away with messing up the poll and OP's going with the result.

Who cares?! Are you buying the Pandora for a silly silk screen? Well, I atleast hope you're not.

Goddamn, I feel like I'm on an episode of the Real World with all this drama stinkin' up this forum.

El Jefe said:
Could we have a contest for people to make the coolest background? and the winner gets the background on the actual one at start up or whatever? and the best 10 get included or something?
I think we should, i know i'd enter!!

Shock-Socks said:
El Jefe said:
Could we have a contest for people to make the coolest background? and the winner gets the background on the actual one at start up or whatever? and the best 10 get included or something?

Is he talking about a splash screen for the Pandora? Can the community make those?

MrBlais said:
Shock-Socks said:
El Jefe said:

Is he talking about a splash screen for the Pandora? Can the community make those?

He's talking about a Login screen background.

-God Ginrai

MrBlais said:
Who cares?! Are you buying the Pandora for a silly silk screen? Well, I atleast hope you're not.

Goddamn, I feel like I'm on an episode of the Real World with all this drama stinkin' up this forum.

Enough people care enough to make 2 threads about it, one containing a poll with hundreds of votes, another with hundreds of posts.
Small details can make a huge difference in how a product looks and feels, and it's this care and attention to detail that can help sell a product, as well as improved customer satisfaction.

No, I'm not going to withdraw from wanting a Pandora over something like this, nor should I expect any sane person to. I'm fine it as it is infact, but there is nothing wrong with posting constructive critisism on a forum, is there?

I just love looking at that row of PCB's and knowing that mine is in there somewhere .. #17, which one are you?! :)

Silk screen: meh. It doesn't matter. This is just the first batch - by the time a few thousand more are made, the silk screen will probably have worn off ours, anyway! :)

Well done, gang, anyway. I'm really impressed that we've persisted and are this close. I've been hacking on my Touchbook eagerly awaiting the Pandora, and I hope we're going to have a huge erotic explosion of pixels and buffers and blits and swerves and games and bings and bongs .. ooh, its gonna be so, so great to have the Pandora to run new, fresh, games and applications on. Squee!!!

I'm hypnotized by the lightpipes . . .

I like the silk screen! I know it will look better once the Pandora is in my hands too. Nice job

I don't know about everyone else here, but I'll be too busy looking at what's on the actual screen (Golden Eye game, firefox, etc), then the silk screen. :)

Good stuff. Can't wait!!! B)

The only issue with the light pipes is that two of the spots on the right will always be dark.

The only issue with the light pipes is that two of the spots on the right will always be dark.

The battery and charge indicators? No big deal.

What I wanna know is if we can program these LED's for our own uses .. that would be pretty nice. I'd love to be able to use them for general-purpose stuff while my app is running. For my synth-editor, for example, it'd be nice to have an LED to pulse to indicate tempo of things like LFO, MIDI clock, etc.

Back