4G on Pyra.

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
So Ed has stated that we will now have access to 4G on the Pyra. It seems all the more important to have a full, fast and stable internet browser imo.

Has any work been done on browsers?

What other benefits will 4g bring us? Downloading on the go, online multiplayer on the go and probably many other things that i have yet to think of.

I thought the only problem with browsers on the Pandora was the low hardware.

I would also like to know more about the "really good mobile internet offer" ED will have for anyone who buys the 4G version.

I've never used 3G or 4G, or a smart phone.  I've read enough to follow Apple killing the mobile internet market and infinite data plans ceasing to exist, but I still hope that a reasonable mobile internet plan could be offered somewhere sometime.

The OMAP5 is a much better processor for multitasking, it's dual core and with the extra system ram available on the Pyra web browsing isn't going to be a problem. I've used both Firefox and Iceweasle (different OS installs) with many tabs open without issues.

For me, I have a 2GB capped 4G data plan as Verizon are ripoff artists, so it won't do much for me and I'm most likely buying a unit without Cell capability if it's available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Firefox on my Pandora. It's compared slow of course and you can't even scroll a website if another is loading in the background (hw limits it seems) but at least Firefox works 100% and does what it should. Every other Browser I've tried just failed hardly due bugs or crashes or faulty website appearence  (Aurora, Midori...)

So if Firefox is working on the Pyra (very likely) we already have a good browser for all needs, including tons of plugins.  I personaly would like to use Opera (12) on a mobile device like I use it on my PC but I guess that's not possible.  Not a fan of actual "mobile" browsers but have not tested them much (again, not alot of real working alternatives for the Pandora).

Qupzilla seems to be ok for most purposes, and is pretty lightweight

I still hope that a reasonable mobile internet plan could be offered somewhere sometime
"100%" unlimited may not happen anytime soon (if for no other reason than to discourage people from dropping their cable/dsl and going completely mobile), but in the US T-Mobile has an unlimited plan which gives your first 1GB at LTE speeds and throttles to 3G speeds after that. You don't get the highest quality netflix after the first hour but it can still work. In Canada, if you live in a major city, there are smaller companies that offer similar unlimited plans with the caveat that it only works in select cities (and you're roaming elsewhere): Wind Mobile (my carrier, highly recommended) throttles after 5GB; mobilicity is another good company with a "fair use" unlimited data plan, an ex coworker has been happy with them for years.In Europe, I have no idea.

Its good to hear that iceweasel/firefox runs well on the omap 5, firefox is my default browser on my crappy lappy.

i use FreedomPop on my galaxy, and i get 1gb data, 500txt and 200min on lte 4g over sprints network for free, if i could somehow get this working on Pyra, id be a happy customer

What other benefits will 4g bring us? Downloading on the go, online multiplayer on the go and probably many other things that i have yet to think of.
Not that much.

At least in Germany as there is no unlimited Internet.

Most phone provider have less than 1Gig high speed, and then it's about 50 kb/s.

Best available is 10Gb (once there was 15 but they abandoned it).

At least that's what I figured out 1-2 Months ago.

In the UK, with Three, you can have unlimited 4G data (4GB of which can be used whilst tethering), unlimited texts and 200 talk minutes for £15 per month (about 20 Euro or $25 I guess).

In the UK (at least) for mobile or home broadband, somehow unlimited has stopped meaning unlimited, and instead means unlimited within reason. Not sure what is deemed reasonable with Three, I certainly know people using over 10GB per month on their mobile with out any issues.

That's me.

I have that Three unlimited 4G plan ... Well I did when I had the SIM in my HTCone, but the phone I use daily at moment isn't supporting 4G unfortunately, still I get unlimited 3G and can tether when need to.

I'd never go back to a limited data plan.

Hope that with Pyra can enjoy some of Android film streaming apps over 4G

Not that much.

At least in Germany as there is no unlimited Internet.

Most phone provider have less than 1Gig high speed, and then it's about 50 kb/s.

Best available is 10Gb (once there was 15 but they abandoned it).

At least that's what I figured out 1-2 Months ago.
Who offers 10Gb and for how much money? The best I found is Alditalk: 5Gb for 15e

Only GSM as far as I know, it needs a SIM card.

Here (PHS8) is the 3G chip EvilDragon was planning to use, and here (PLS8) is the 4G drop in replacement. Neither seems to support CDMA.

Technically speaking, the Pyra should support WCDMA aka. Wideband CDMA aka. UMTS aka. 3G with a SIM. It won't support IS-95 aka. CDMAone or IS-2000 aka. CDMA2000, as I read the specs.

I am just wondering if companies will allow us to use a voice plan with the Pyra, or if I will be stuck with just a data plan.

They won't be able to stop you. From their perspective it will connect to the network exactly the same as any other phone. Put your SIM card in and they won't know the difference.

I wonder how telcos are able to tell if you're tethering or not. They could tell by the type of traffic you're requesting, I guess, but only after observing your connection for a little while, whereas if you're not set up for tethering, telcos these days block the connection on the first packet, it seems.

Back