Another Render (yeah... I Know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.Professor_Jake_Turner said:
Holy damn, that is the best render I've seen to date.

Of course I got a problem with it though, namely the YBXA deal. Why not arrange them in SNES/DS fashion (clockwise from top: XABY) or Xbox/Dreamcast (clockwise from top: YBAX) order?
There was extensive discussion on this and I don't know what was dedided on. I'm with you on this though. SNES layout (even Xbox) is much more logical.

It's still just a render though, let's see what they do with the real one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr.Professor_Jake_Turner said:
Holy damn, that is the best render I've seen to date.

Of course I got a problem with it though, namely the YBXA deal. Why not arrange them in SNES/DS fashion (clockwise from top: XABY) or Xbox/Dreamcast (clockwise from top: YBAX) order?
Because nearly everybody here is used to the GP2X.

Not that many of the things we had to get used to on the GP2X were positives. Obscure button layouts ftl.

Anyway, I'm not going to get negative in this thread. Pandora, how I sing for thee, a fanboi you have made of me.

It's just a button label! Can't you map the control to any function you want?

I know, what I mean is it's just aesthetic. Why can't you just tell the game x = a or whatever and play without looking at the label? That's what you do on basically any computer game anyway...

atomicthumbs said:
Um, I have never used a GP2X - nor a GP32 - nor have I ever even seen one in real life.

And since that Pandora kick's their collective asses - I doubt I ever will.

I do think, however, that every single person who has ever visited this forum as played SNES at some point in their life.

chad78 said:
atomicthumbs said:
Um, I have never used a GP2X - nor a GP32 - nor have I ever even seen one in real life.

I do think, however, that every single person who has ever visited this forum as played SNES at some point in their life.

This was talked about before, and since a lot of GP2X software will be ported over, it makes sense to keep the GP2X's button labeling. I don't think you can argue that any one label is more logical than the other, they're all mere conventions that you painlessly learn and accept in a matter of minutes.

chad78 said:
atomicthumbs said:

I haven't except on the GP2X.

that's a great render, if the final unit is like that, then i'll be pleased. i just ordered a gp2x f200 to tide me over till pandora releases and get used to programming on these types of machines.

not so silently waiting for june / july and pandora's release.

chad78 said:
atomicthumbs said:

Just highlighting a relevant word you may have missed.

Trooper

trooper said:
No, I saw it - I was just pointing out that far far far far far far far more people have played the SNES (or the Xbox, ftm) than will ever play the GP2X or the GP32... So if your reasoning is familiarity - best to go with the most popular set up.

Now, the *real* reason is probably because game companies patent the hell out of their hardware. In fact, hardware patents are why the PS3 controllers do not have dual shock - or any rumble function. The NES D-Pad is patented, as are all the major controllers. So the particular key layout for the SNES, DS, and Xbox controllers are likely illegal if used by another party, (without permission - aka major cash). So despite the fact that XYAB, is physically and experiencely no different from XAYB or even £¢∞§ - you can't copy someone else's stuff.

Personally, I would have gone with G A M E or something P A N D - or G P 2 X - something that the big boys really couldn't complain about. Better to completely change the labels than to leave them so close as to confuse the hell out of people.

chad78 said:
Now, the *real* reason is probably because game companies patent the hell out of their hardware. In fact, hardware patents are why the PS3 controllers do not have dual shock - or any rumble function. The NES D-Pad is patented, as are all the major controllers. So the particular key layout for the SNES, DS, and Xbox controllers are likely illegal if used by another party, (without permission - aka major cash). So despite the fact that XYAB, is physically and experiencely no different from XAYB or even £¢∞§ - you can't copy someone else's stuff.

Personally, I would have gone with G A M E or something P A N D - or G P 2 X - something that the big boys really couldn't complain about. Better to completely change the labels than to leave them so close as to confuse the hell out of people.
Actually the NES patents (including the D-pad one) expired a few years ago, and the SNES ones, if they haven't already, will within a year or so. Regardless, you can't patent letters on buttons, it's not the same as the D-pad, it's not a different control interface. The patent system in the US is pretty weird, but it's not that bad.

chad78 said:
trooper said:
No, I saw it - I was just pointing out that far far far far far far far more people have played the SNES (or the Xbox, ftm) than will ever play the GP2X or the GP32... So if your reasoning is familiarity - best to go with the most popular set up.

I have to agree. But as far it's about as far as nit-picking can go! It's not exactly a deal breaker!

You culd always get little round colourd stickers so at leat they're thae same COLOUR as the SNES :p

chad78 said:
In fact, hardware patents are why the PS3 controllers do not have dual shock - or any rumble function.
I believe you meant to say, "In fact, hardware patents are why the initial PS3 controllers do not have dual shock." Dual Shock 3 anybody?

Alex. said:
I don't think you can argue that any one label is more logical than the other, they're all mere conventions that you painlessly learn and accept in a matter of minutes.
I sure can. Unfortunately, nobody was interested in logic. :(

Chip said:
Alex. said:
I don't think you can argue that any one label is more logical than the other, they're all mere conventions that you painlessly learn and accept in a matter of minutes.
I sure can. Unfortunately, nobody was interested in logic. :(

But... but... "W" takes too long to pronounce. :(

To be honest, it's not my ideal button layout, but it's not a very important issue for me either, since it's all controlled in software anyway. When playing SNES, I'll just pretend that the layout is SNES-like.

Nice!

Considering the button layout, there was a poll few months back. Nintendo-styled was the most popular. If it's still open to modifying (or even legally feasible, as mentioned few posts back), somebody could arrange a final poll between the two most popular layouts, GP2X and Nintendo (Snes).
But if it's already a closed deal, I hope somebody would come forward with it so we wouldn't have to speculate on it anymore.

And considering the case overall: I also would love to see no gap (or very little) between the two halves when the lid is closed, so that there would be more protection against lint and dirt when it's kept in bag or pocket. Kind of like what Nintendo had with their Game&Watch-design (simply perfect imo, but maybe time just goldens memories)... I thought that one of clamshell design's best assets was that there would be no need for external case/pouch/etc.

And I think DaveC's CAD render shows a good solution for that (edges on top half). I hope that's the one they're going to use... I don't know about DS, but the pictures show that at least DS Lite has a kind of nice looking solution also (rounded edge).

Crazy side note: there's no "clip" to hold the lid closed (like in G&W), but what if you added suitably weak magnets on the two top corners to keep it better closed (and corresponding metal contacts on the bottom half of course)? Or is the hinge design sturdy enough?
Well either way, probably too late for that kind of alteration... Unless I go MacGyver myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back