Another Render (yeah... I Know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nubie said:
Has anyone even mentioned the fact that ABXY are already existent in the QWERTY keyboard? Surely this will only confuse, astound, befuddle and amaze the un-wifi'd masses?

Perhaps a color and simple geometric shapes would work. Black + and plain, White + and Plain. Either way I am sick of this whining about it.
Agreed. Perhaps Red/Green/Yellow/Blue. Or the whole alpha/gamma thing with the 1-4 dots on the button. But I'd settle with anything if it would stop the pointless discussions that never go anywhere. On the other hand though It'd be nice to see something ORIGINAL instead of a copy of a layout that's only correct for 20% of games. Even the North/east/south/west idea would be original at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, I found the Playstation system of geometric shapes nearly impossible to remember. I don't own a PS myself, but I used to play a fighting game at a friend's sometimes and it sometimes asked to press the buttons in a certain order quickly to perform a special move (some symbols would be displayed on the screen and you'd have to press them). I couldn't think fast enough to ever do it in time. Frankly, for a newcomer, the PS's layout sucks.

So whatever the final layout turns out to be, I vote AGAINST having it be anything not quickly recognizable or unpronounceable (like Greek letters, colours, shapes or blank spaces).

DaveC said:
The corners can be a bit more rounded but there are limits in the keyboard/inside of lid area. If the radii are too big the halves won't close very well leaving a big gap. If you look at all clamshell type devices like DS, laptops, PDAs etc you will notice that area doesn't have big curves for that reason. The clamshell format limits that area some. The other devices that you see are mostly open all of the time (no clamshell)so that doesn't have to be a consideration. I think the front areas can be curved more and will be. Just keep the limitations in mind for future renders.
I understand the device has to close properly, but I hope the top and bottom outer surfaces are nicely rounded at the edges(like on the NDS or a MacBook). There's no obvious reason why they shouldn't be, save for the shape of the internal components.

Edit: To the people above, lets keep discussion of button labelling in the other 'dedicated' thread

One last thing from me - people complaining that the buttons aren't like the SNES just made me think...

I didn't use a SNES, but I did use an Amiga. I hereby lodge my complaint that:

The keyboard isn't like an Amiga. OMG TEH KEYBORD IS SH1T!!!!11!!1 I demand that you make it cream, with two Amiga keys and a numeric pad NOW.

Oh hey, I also used a Speccy. I DEMAND that you make it like the Amiga AND like the Speccy with commands written on the keys!

Wow, I sound like the SNES BUTTONS kids, I really do.

D.

Chad, chill out man, don't take everything so personally, it's just an online forum.

I thought Dunny's post was pretty funny :)

Dunny said:
The keyboard isn't like an Amiga. OMG TEH KEYBORD IS SH1T!!!!11!!1 I demand that you make it cream, with two Amiga keys and a numeric pad NOW.

Wow, I sound like the SNES BUTTONS kids, I really do.
The first keyboard sentence was indeed pretty funny (the second was kind of repetitive). But the last sentence was just an unnecessary assault...

Esn said:
So whatever the final layout turns out to be, I vote AGAINST having it be anything not quickly recognizable or unpronounceable (like Greek letters, colours, shapes or blank spaces).
<_< damn, I was just thinking about putting some alpha and beta in there hehehehe it would look awesome
and when explaining, it would be just A and B for example :p then G(amma) and D(elta) :p

Oh dear, this topic won't die until Pandora is released, will it? :lol:

I'm posting this, then running.

pandorakeys2xp7.jpg

lol, Greek Alphabet.......Qoppa-Digamma-Epsilon-Rho-Theta-Upsilon keyboard anyone?
While you're at it, include Earth,Fire,Wind,Water,Heart, and Captain Planet keys.......

EvilDragon said:
pand09050_thumb.jpg

Is that one still/again the current render of the actual mold-data?

What happened to those (horrible IMO!) slightly diagonal indentations around the speaker grilles, was that an older or an even more current incarnation of the design?

Either way, I'd prefer it simple and classy. The clean design of the speakers in this render is great, just a plain, flat surface with slots in it, nothing more. Those weird indentations were terribly distracting when looking at the screen and make for a slightly cheap and cheesy look. It's more like "Chinese gadget" style, while it should be "Apple style" B) :lol:

Edit:

Ah, there was the one with the speaker grille style I didn't like, plain on the openpandora-site :rolleyes: :

realsmall1.jpg

Now just tell me that this was an old render and I'm happy :p

I noticed that something was wrong on those speakers too, they just don't look... right.

SONY said:
Could someone please, please smoothen up those edges (like the NDS lite), because they currently look a bit sharp (like a knifes edge). kthxbai :)
I refer you to these two posts.

x68000 said:
Very Impressed overall, but if possible, a Sega Saturn/Megadrive 6 button style pad with more natural diagonals would really be the icing on the cake!

I agree. I thiml 6 buttons is a must for certain systems like arcade and such. Using L and R buttons for certain arcades is uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back