Appstore.. Really?

For god's sakes guys...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50717-what-should-the-pandora-app-store-be-named/

are we seriously going to be doing this every couple of weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awakening said:
Personally I like the word appstore because for me app is short for application, and while I use the term only for non game programs I still like it. It's short and sound nice etc. The word 'store' can be a bit misleading,

AppStorage.
Okay, or AppStoreroom.

Why not just call it OpenBox to reflect that it's from OpenPandora and its open and OSS nature.
You could then have subdivisions like OpenPandoraBox or OpenWizBox etc without limiting it to a specific platform.

I think you guys should let go of the idea and let the store be known as a store with freebies rather than an official depository where everything is intended to be free and disappointing people when it isn't.

Honestly what's wrong with the "Open Pandora Store". It pays homage to the team, the term open implies enough about the free stuff, the store states that it's a business as well.

twent4 said:
For god's sakes guys...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50717-what-should-the-pandora-app-store-be-named/

Yes... until people stop saying appstore.

What's wrong with app store? I would call it an app store just to piss off people who dislike that term so much.

dschroeter said:
The Box
Pandorium
pndstr
Pappsto - wait, gruso said no...

Edit: thought of an even worse one - Pandstora

I take any and all credit for "The Box" and all benefits thereunto pertaining. In recompense I shall receive: 1 (one) Pandora 2 weeks before regular shipping and signed by all designers, and .000001% revenue from all sales at aforementioned The Box.

Signed
The Honorable Dave Schroeter, esq.

The Box

IS THE BEST CHOICE

Period...

(I think that explains my position pretty well...)

mindlord said:
twent4 said:
For god's sakes guys...

Yes... until people stop saying appstore.

Fine. Then in reiterate my suggestion from that thread: Pithos.

EDIT: sp

I think AppStore is fine, probably more than half the stuff on Apples AppStore is free, so I don't think it particularly implies everything will cost something. If it helps, think of Store as somewhere you store something (storage), rather than a place you spend money.

Steve

HackModford said:
The Box

IS THE BEST CHOICE

Period...

Really...? you don't see people making jokes like "Open Pandora's Box? it sure stinks!" "Did you see how much they shoved into Pandora's Box?" "Man, Pandora's Box is expensive", etc.

HackModford said:
The Box

IS THE BEST CHOICE

Period...

Yeah, OK, I think I get what you mean, but what about "The Box"? What's your position on that? I think you need to clarify your opinion on that; your posts just don't seem to convey what you want to say, sometimes.

In other news:
"AppStore®" is copyrighted; not a wise choice.

I +1 "The Box" as well... Even though TiltOS (a Haiku distribution) already uses a package system called "Box", the similarities are too few to matter.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
As the PND format will be used for most things, we could always call it The Pond :rolleyes:
If that implies a libpnd-port to dingux, I'd be fine with that ;)

Still think "box" is an awesome name. Then subdomains pandoras.box.org, dingoos.box.org, wizs.box.org and so on.

Back