Beta Feedback

Pirotic

Certified Guru
Hiya, seeing as all the testers have a slightly different build - remember to leave the date i sent you the beta in here along with any feedback, what you liked, what you didnt like, what needs changing and suggestions etc etc.

Thanks!

cool avatar, read the other thread (introduction) on how to sign up.

Can't rmember which date it was, but i couldnt move the food bowl and the little tyke kept wandering off the damned screen

was nice and the monster seemed to have a mind of its own

the graphics looked nice and he responded to what i told him to

Just sent a beta out to everybody on the list so far. not much but something to get started with ;)

I've tryed it for a while, but it has a really good look.
The things I've seen at first look are:
-The monster hardly interacts with the food I give him, even with food when his hunger is -50.
-Make some way to save your monster stas and reset the GP please.
-Some way of double movement of the cursor please.
-Something to know when he's training without using button R to see the stats.

Its real nice, needs some more interaction with the monster and the monster to behave more according to his hunger levels etc, but then i wasn't expecting that much from such an early stage, bloody good so far though. ;)

@Pakoito: Could you please change your avatar to something different, many people have had that avatar before and changed it, its just too large at 699kb i mean please take pity on people like me who are only on 56k.

Edit: Cheers for changing it ;) , its just damned annoying trying to read a thread when you have a mammoth avatar takin ages to load.

I've been playing around with it. Some things that could be added,

(24th October)
-You can't make it interested in a position, only an object. So you can't call it and get it to stand in one place, only next to an object
-Eating food appears to have no impact on energy, I'd expect it to have a negative or a positive effect

Food doesn't have an effect on energy, only 'hunger' which is pretty much a hidden value.

the idea is, certain types of food will change the monsters mood over time - but to limit the player forcing the monster to eat it all the time, i've made the monster a bit picky, he only looks for food when his hunger is at minus, and he'll only eat food he's put near if his hunger is down to 20%.

I should also point out, the only items which the AI can use are the training aid and the food bowl, the others dont have any 'configuations' yet so are just null objects which the monster doesn't even bother looking at yet.

the monsters dont need to sleep, as it'd make the game far to dull - so i made the energy regenerate when the monster is just walking about or doing nothing, whenever he uses training aids of fights, his energy will go down - if he over exhausts himself training/fighting he will fall asleep, but most of the time he'll just run away from the fight/training when his energy starts getting low.

i'm spending most of my time atm just balancing the AI out, then adding a new type of 'object' and repeating - as later on when the map has 50 odd types of objects, other monsters all walking about - it'll be very hard to figure out what one object is making him behave 'incorrectly'.

I'm looking foward to getting the monster/monster interactions done, monsters will fall out, make friends, follow each other about and maybe even train with a little 'sparring' between one another.

i've yet to add monster class's, but depending on the class and level you'll get a choice of skills the monster can develop, sorta like special moves which he can use. so if you make a team, u might make one monster a brute force attacker, another monster a ranged fighter, and maybe one who uses stealth. as that team would perform better together than 3 of the same.

path finding needs to be re-done, so he can walk diagnals, also collision detection needs to be done so he cannot walk thru objects (thats waiting on the path finding).

anyway, i could go on all night about stuff which i need to add - i'll get another beta out once some of its added ;)

thanks for suggestions everybody, i need some sleep now.

6.jpg

Just some thoughts i had this early morning:

Will any monsters have magic abilities?
Self-healing / regenerating monsters ?
Can monsters breed ?
Can any monsters be equipped with armor, weapons and stuff you buy ??
Will monsters change appearance when higher levels are reached ??
If monsters can fight as a group, some defensive/shield monsters would be nice!
If a monster gets ill, can you care for it and cure it with bought [ spam word ] ??
Will some monsters be picky about what they eat ??
Can monsters have pets or toys ?? or any other recreational qualities that can
help a monsters mental state ??

edit: If you don't feed your monsters, will they eat eachother ??

Topcat posted on Oct 25 2004 at 07:20 AM said:
Can monsters breed ?
hehe he said "breed" Oh this isn't the Beavis and Butthead show sorry :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, when will I try the new beta? I've grown my pet to attack 4 at least 4 times tonight ^^

Topcat posted on Oct 25 2004 at 09:20 AM said:

Will any monsters have magic abilities?
Self-healing / regenerating monsters ?
Can monsters breed ?
Can any monsters be equipped with armor, weapons and stuff you buy ??
Will monsters change appearance when higher levels are reached ??
If monsters can fight as a group, some defensive/shield monsters would be nice!
If a monster gets ill, can you care for it and cure it with bought [ spam word ] ??
Will some monsters be picky about what they eat ??
Can monsters have pets or toys ?? or any other recreational qualities that can
help a monsters mental state ??

edit: If you don't feed your monsters, will they eat eachother ??
Another idea (maybe for the special powers) could be 4 or more gods/religions/whatever, that the monster would make a sacrifice or something for,
when it's time to level up.. in return is given some special power/magic/stat points
Maybe a god for each ability..

Special attacks and skills work as follows: (or at least this is how it's planned atm)

the skill 'groups' are as follows: Ice, Fire, Wind, Sound and Shadow (for now)

Each monster will be born with a tendancy for a certain skill group, but neither you or the monster know which one it is.

anyway, eventually the monster will teach itself the first most basic skill in that skill group (so for Fire, it may learn a wimpy fire attack) - and at this point the monsters stats will change to reveal what skill 'group' the monster is.

Once your monster has developed its first skill by itself, and has revealed what its speciality is - you can then buy it skill-scrolls from the shop, these scrolls 'teach' the monster a new skill.

however, just using a scroll and getting the skill is a little easy, so with each skill you'll get a random task/mini-game which must be completed before the monster is able to perform that skill, the task will normally always relate in some way to the skill.

so if you get stealth, you may get a little hiding from people mini-game.

not sure how much time that would consume tho, so i may have to do some tasks which dont require coding of a mini-game, such as "avoid the sight of monster 'bob' for 10 minutes" or something

Put some kind of holy skill group, so it'll go into pairs: fire-water; earth-wind(electric) and holy-shadow...
And you can create "doping" skills or cure or heal or stuff like that as holy skills (think in an acolyte for the group, apart from the ranged attack chum, the though guy, the "tank" an so...)

One thing I noticed is the menu (Call, Pick up, Stats) will go off screen if it is done on an item at the bottom of the screen, maybe it could be made to go up the ways when at the bottom of the screen?

finty101 posted on Oct 26 2004 at 09:49 PM said:
One thing I noticed is the menu (Call, Pick up, Stats) will go off screen if it is done on an item at the bottom of the screen, maybe it could be made to go up the ways when at the bottom of the screen?

Indeed, i spotted that to, i'll sort it out for next beta. thanks for reporting it.

pakoito posted on Oct 31 2004 at 10:00 PM said:
22.58 mmmmmmmmm cannot wait for new beta release :D
Hey, if the project's fine for Xmas you can use it in the Adic 2004:

http://adic2004.gp32news.com/

If its finished (which it should be by then) then i'll enter it, next beta will be a while as im re-writing some stuff. never enough freetime :D

Back