Box86 - Linux Userspace x86 Emulator

Knytt runs much better as well, the glitches are gone and it's full speed with a few hiccups. However I can't get it to be really full screen, it'll just stay in a window. KeeperFX doesn't work in full screen either, in the sysout I can see it complain that there is no mode for this (even though I set it to 800x640x16).
I also have no sound at all on wine.

Last edited:
Last Word is a Linux games that was in the itch.io bundle for racial equality. It's one of the few games that I was able to get running with box86. It used to bit a bit too slow to be playable so it was a good way to check for noticeable performance improvement.
It should be fixed now.

*EDIT* Maybe not, there are further error than the one I fixed.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I remember this demo :) err benchmark :p
I'm sure it's possible to get more FPS out of this on. You should run with "BOX86_DYNAREC_LOG=1" to see if there is some opcode to be implemented in the dynarec.

Last Word is a Linux games that was in the itch.io bundle for racial equality. It's one of the few games that I was able to get running with box86. It used to bit a bit too slow to be playable so it was a good way to check for noticeable performance improvement.
Ok, so I have an issue in SDL2 handling of RWops. It's fixed now and the game start. It seems to have an issue with current gl4es, I'll try to have a look at this later.

Ah yes, I remember this demo :) err benchmark :p
I'm sure it's possible to get more FPS out of this on. You should run with "BOX86_DYNAREC_LOG=1" to see if there is some opcode to be implemented in the dynarec.
okay i will do it...where do i find the log?

okay i will do it...where do i find the log?
Don't bother. I tried on my side, and it seems that benchmark use a lot of Self Modifying Code, and for now, this kind of things tend to kill Dynarec performances (it's an improvment, earlier, it just didn't work, or barely worked). I'll need to analyse more precisely what is happening to get more speed out of this one, it's not some missing dynarec opcode there...

For pico8 I'm using the version from that same bundle (0.2.1B). I've also noticed that the "Splore" won't download carts but I think it's because it uses wget and the Pandora's wget doesn't support TLS 1.3 that's used on the server. I've been trying a few workarounds but got nowhere, I guess I should compile a recent version linked with a recent openSSL but if anyone has a static binary I'd be grateful.
I tried the version for itch.io bundle and had no issue. I use latest box86 version, and start the "pico8_32bit_dyn" one from latest codeblocks command line. Keyboard were working fine, and SPLORE downloaded stuff with no problem.

Ok, I was using the pico8_32bit binary, not the dyn one.
The keyboard problem is fixed with the latest box86 (oh it's not the latest, I think I'm missing the last commit). However I still can't download, even when running the _dyn from the codeblocks command line. I'm setting HOME to a place on my SD card, I can see the files that were created for the carts I tried to download but they're all empty.

You may need to update the certifacte and all that stuff. I remember having so issue with github and needed to do things about that, but I honestly don't remember at all what I did.

Nice ingo, but you should use the OpenGL renderer (I suspect it's the D3D one here). Also, using the Linux version you will get better fps: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTournamentPatches/releases (ut99 and Unreal are part of my "test app" so I regulary check if I haven't broken them).

Also, I pushed some changes in dynarec & memory protection managment that should help (a bit) Tirtanium Demo/Bench.

Yeah I've got better results with the Linux version of Unreal Tournament, just no luck with getting audio working on it. but not sure if it's the old OSS sound system garbage or my config file is so far from original I broke it in some way.

I got it i got it..Unreal Tournament is playable with Box86 and Wine and Gl4ES.
For the Video i simply had not right configured the Controlls but see yourself..i got one Kill..i played it..yay :)

This is impressive, even though as other say it's not the best way to run UT.

FWIW, if you type 'echo ' before typing in random crap in a terminal it'll stop being an error and will instead print out the text you entered.

You can also install a tool called figlet which'll turn whatever you type into big ascii art. You might want to use 'figlet -f small' to fit more than a few words on a screen.

"...in CPU-bound benchmarks Box86 delivered half or so the performance of the native system but for glmark2 as a graphics test was close to the bare metal / native performance."

Back