Cheap 4gb Sd

well i can access to the card and put some files on it through the gp2x, but no more than 2mb otherwise it just doesn't copy them over, the usb cable however doesn't work and i have no sd card reader that is compatible with sd-hc card, so i cant test if it can read the complete card, anyways im sending mine back and getting another one which is sure to be an sd card.

Zenny said:
getting another one which is sure to be an sd card.
They've guaranteed then, to send you a non-sdhc Card? How was it to wangle a return out of them, just in case?

One of the reviews mentions that the Sd reader they sell (under own brand) works for the cards, its only £3 - I had to buy one anyway, my reader doesn't do over 1GB. Fingers crossed I bought the one the reviewer was referring to...

Btw thanks wigglythebrave for bringing this to my attention - I was looking for a cheap replacement for a recent failure. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The didn't actually guarantee anything, just told me the return address and that i could get my money back + postage cost, im probably going to buy one of the 2gb card's instead since they seem to be more common and are sure to be compatible.

edit: I just looked on the website and noticed that they now have sd-hc available for purchase next to the normal one, get's they had a mixup before then...

Mine arrived this morning.......SDHC Dane Electric card......doesn't work with my card reader and I never have been able to get my GP2x to connect to my PC.

Oh well, back to the old drawing board.

I've a question though.......what is the difference between SD and SDHC?

Try using a different usb cable, mine didn't work at first, i tried another usb cable from some other pc gear & it worked fine!

As for SD & SDHC SDHC won't work on a GP2X as yet that i've read on here.

Also try the gp2x in a different socket - For some reason when it was 'installing' on one of my usb ports/buses it messed up and will always give a 'An error.... not recognised' type of thing. I plugged it into a different port and then it worked fine.

As Zenny pointed out, they now have a separate entry in the catalog for sdhc cards - when you return it you should probably complain about this and demand a non-sdhc 4gb card - they might feel benevolent. :) It stands to reason if there is a separate entry for sdhc, what you ordered should not be sdhc.

wiggythebrave,

If you want to sell the card on rather then send it back I am interested as I want to get an SDHC card to fix up support in Open2x if possible (already back ported some of the 2.6 SDHC patch).

My SDHC order from 7DayShop has gone to back-order so that’s a bummer, still my 4GB CF card has shipped :D.

As for the difference. Below is a quote from a post I made on TheDVDForums, some of it is in context ;). We now know 7DS is sending out SDHC so ignore the bit about SD’s.

DJWillis said:
It is a normal SD card (not SD V2 i.e. SDHC). These 4GB ‘normal’ SD cards are a slight 'bending' of the SD spec anyhow so they may not work in all card readers/devices.

That said, if your device is happy with 4GB cards this is a steal :D.

The main reason for SDHC in the first place is for true ‘standard’ for 4GB, 8GB and up but at the cost of a lot of devices/card readers having no idea what to do with new SDHC cards and protocol/card ID changes.

Regards the Wii support, I don't think it will read 4GB cards at all (not even at 2GB or anything like that). The Wii follows the original SD spec very closely and does not deal with the bending of the spec these cards use.

My 4Gb card arrived this morning from 7dayshop. It's a Dane-Elec non-hc card. Connecting to it via the GP2X over USB, windows reports the capacity as 1Gb. I've tested it and the full 1Gb is usable, but I can't use the full capacity. I've also tried it using a Sumvision sd card reader. Same problem.

Looking on the net, it appears that many card readers are incapable of mounting the card correctly. I'm going to take the card around a few computer shops today, and see if they have a reader that works ok.

By the way, I'm using FW 2.1.1

7day shop are selling a card reader for £3.79 (silver) that supposedly can read these higher capacity cards. I've ordered one (after some minor complication). I don't think you'd get better than £8 on a high street shop - of course it would take long enough to get to you... And I did say supposedly.. its not definite.. It will read 2gb anyway according to some reviewer, and a reviewer who bought the 4gb got that card reader too, recommended by 7ds but hadn't tested it...

Does the Gp2x only mount up to 1gb as a card reader? Seems a bit in the past... I was kind of hoping to use it as a card reader for my 2gb card until the new card reader arrives.

edit;@Djwillis/off topic, just wondering if there's any chance of a update on Scummvm anytime soon, or are you waiting til there's a significant update on the main thingy? /wistfully, properly scaled 320x240 videos... (Mind you I can now fit all Feeble Files on one card with fullsize videos :) ) and fixed saves in BS1? Btw Feeble files is available for £10 on adventuresoft's online shop; http://www.adventuresoft.com/acatalog/Othe...Soft_games.html Hope this doesn't constitute harassment...

You shouldn't have a problem, my old card's a 2Gb and mounts fine over USB. Only the 4Gb card is incorrect.

My 4GB card purchases have been nightmares. Both worked at first and then I got lots of file system corruption and discovered bad sectors. One of the cards died completely and the other one only partially works due to bad sectors.

I would advise to stay away from 4GB cards for awhile unless you are desperate. I think too many manufactures rushed to market seeing $$$ whilst neglecting QC. There are so many stories of problems with 4GB cards. It doesn't help that they are a non official spec either.

Brand of mine were Magu 133x non-SDHC

Anyone know of any utilities than can help a card with bad sectors? I don't want to send the card back to Asia. I might never see it again.

wiggythebrave,

If you want to sell the card on rather then send it back I am interested as I want to get an SDHC card to fix up support in Open2x if possible (already back ported some of the 2.6 SDHC patch).

Yeh, I suppose I could, you could paypal me £21.00 if you like and I'll post it out to you. If not, no problem as 7Day have already replied to my email and have said they will refund.

edit: If you decide you want SD pm me for my paypal address. Cheers

Hmmm, managed to get hold of a compatible card reader. Reformatted the card via the card reader, using quick format. The card correctly reported 4Gb capacity. Connected up the GP2X via USB, and verified that 4Gb was indeed available.
Reformatted the card using my old reader, and the capacity went back down to 1Gb. This time I reconnected up the 2X and connected via USB again and reformatted.
The format dialogue reported 979 Mb, the format took 45 minutes, but afterwards the card capacity returned to 4Gb.
So I guess the moral of the story is - if you haven't got a compatible card reader, you'll need to format the card and transfer files using the 2X over USB.

So, all is working now. 4Gb card Dane-Elec non-hc works fine.

If you're experiencing problems, this might be of interest:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

I got mine through and it was a Dane elec SD HC :( and doesnt even work in my digi cam, or my card reader. So it's going back in exchange for a 4GB CF card. It would had maybe worked if I could format the thing, oh well.

I got mine through and it was a Dane elec SD HC :( and doesnt even work in my digi cam, or my card reader. So it's going back in exchange for a 4GB CF card. It would had maybe worked if I could format the thing, oh well.
I think since many ordered they added a Extra SDHC 'group' on the catalogue, which may mean they've realised their error. Ie lots of expensive returns, because SDHC isn't very compatible yet

I would try specifying that you don't want a SD-HC card and that it wasn't advertised as such... Just checked they're out of stock of the 'non-SDHC' cards... Anyway they were really great about swapping out a back-order sd reader for a different one - and they didn't charge me postage again! :)

Back