Cheap 4gb Sd

Just to add that I got my card today and it was also Dane elec SDHC , pretty much useless to me.
Contacted them about refund/exchange.

I got mine through and it was a Dane elec SD HC :( and doesnt even work in my digi cam, or my card reader. So it's going back in exchange for a 4GB CF card. It would had maybe worked if I could format the thing, oh well.
I think since many ordered they added a Extra SDHC 'group' on the catalogue, which may mean they've realised their error. Ie lots of expensive returns, because SDHC isn't very compatible yet

I would try specifying that you don't want a SD-HC card and that it wasn't advertised as such... Just checked they're out of stock of the 'non-SDHC' cards... Anyway they were really great about swapping out a back-order sd reader for a different one - and they didn't charge me postage again! :)

Yeah it was the first thing I mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
seems i got lucky then,
133 x keymem arrived yesterday and works fine.

Damm it, just when I got my credit card back theyve gone out of stock for the moment. Currently On Order :(

My friend and I both got SDHC cards (Dane-Elec)the other day, usual story. I'm not giving up on it yet, going to see if I can find a decent card reader that will take it.

EDIT: ok I bought an expensive card reader (SanDisk 12 in 1), it detects the card fine, I popped some stuff on it, but my GP2X doesn't see it at all. I'll try reformatting :(

OK I think I've tried everything I can do. I messed around with different firmwares (from 2.0.0 doesn't detect card, 3.0.0 doesn't detect any card, same with 2.1.1, 2.1.0 detects other cards but not the 4 gig one). reformatted a ton of times - tried to partition it to just 1gig, but cant work out how to - it's not an option in the disk manager :(
I tried connecting to the sd card by usb through the gp2x for each firmware and never got windows to recognise anything there (was hoping to reformat it through the GP2X as was mentioned in a previous post - but couldn't get to that stage). I've given up now. The SDHC card just isn't going to work. So I'll try to get my money back now.
My recommendation - for the moment dont buy a SDHC card for the GP2X - it's more pain than it's worth.

SDHC cards use a block addressing scheme.
SDLC cards use a byte addressing scheme.

As we all know, the maximum value you can access is a 32-bit number, so 4,294,967,295 bytes (Just under 4GB, minus all the reserved, security, etc...).

The GP2X assumes all cards use the byte addressing scheme, so none of the SDHC cards will work until the firmware is updated (the hardware is upto the job, but at what speed is unknown... ie, I don't know if the builtin hardware mmcsd peripheral is compatible, but if not we can bit-bang it, so no worries).

I got a 4gb sd card from ebay a while ago. Couldnt get it to work in my built in pc card reader or my gp2x or that really cheap one from that led website that someone posted ages ago. I was able to copy some files from my ps3 onto it tho. I cant find it now must be somewhere in my room but i guess that maybe it is a SDHC then ? that coudl explain why it didnt work in anything really except my ps3 ?

I bought myself another 4 gig SD card but this time I bought it from Newegg for about 33 dollars.

As Zeladin mentions, there is a 2Gb one aswell, only £9.99

On the reviews A.W. - BOLTON uses his in his GP2X without problems, so I might go for that one. I'd hate to be stuck with a 4Gb one if the GP2X doesn't read it. None of my other gadgets use SD.

That will be me, used on of these 2GB cards for about 6 months in my GP2X :D

Just got mine (it was out of stock). It's a keymem and it works fine in my GP2X (MK1 FW2.1.1) although I bought it for my Sandisk v-mate

Like Parkdyr I finally got mine (from 7dayshop) today too- 4GB keymem which thankfully works fine on the MK2 2X (fw 2.0.0) and on my Zaurus SL-C3100.

I plugged it into my PC to check the transfer rate- it tops out at just over 2MB/s (2.3?) but averages something more like 700k/s

Back