Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex. said:
You're twisting some facts there. I'm pretty sure the DS gets <20 hours max, on the dimmest backlight setting. Secondly, the DS has <70Mhz processors, versus the 200Mhz+ we're talking about here.

Regarding your laptop, the EEE PC isn't a high end laptop with long battery life, that much was made obvious from the first time it was introduced.

I think you shouldn't be so critical of a device you didn't even see or get the exact specs of. I don't know about you, but I hope for the best :)
By the way, what is the estimated time life of this device before it will get replaced by a new one? I'm curious, because judging from what the people in the know said, it seems like the sky will be the limit in terms of what you can do with this thing.

i just dont have high expecations of a comapny that is not very much reknowned ..
ohh yeah i was not thinking about power consumption by 70mhz and 200 mhz that is a huge difference
and ur right u can get a ridiculous amount of playing time with ds lite with the dimminest brightness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
You're twisting some facts there. I'm pretty sure the DS gets <20 hours max, on the dimmest backlight setting. Secondly, the DS has <70Mhz processors, versus the 200Mhz+ we're talking about here.

Regarding your laptop, the EEE PC isn't a high end laptop with long battery life, that much was made obvious from the first time it was introduced.

I think you shouldn't be so critical of a device you didn't even see or get the exact specs of. I don't know about you, but I hope for the best :)
By the way, what is the estimated time life of this device before it will get replaced by a new one? I'm curious, because judging from what the people in the know said, it seems like the sky will be the limit in terms of what you can do with this thing.

Yeah, mfk told us that it has both 2D and 3D acceleration.

So from this thread this is what is confirmed:
-designed by new employees to gph, something similar to the gp32 innovation-wise
-lithium battery with 10 hour battery life
-hardware acceleration
-wifi
-i guess a "really great price point" according to craigix ;)

And we have a few things unknown to us:
-processor clock speed
-amount of ram
-screen specifications (touch screen, resolution, size, etc.)

This would really piss me off if it was a prank by craigix, mfk, and EvilDragon. :angry:

We are trying to make it very advanced so it has a long life span, once you see what it looks like and the full specs I hope it will remind you of how advanced the GP32 was at the time for a handheld, especially in our price range.

This would really piss me off if it was a prank by craigix, mfk, and EvilDragon.
I realy dont think it is.

I for one welcome our new handheld overlord! (had to be sayd...)

craigix said:
We are trying to make it very advanced so it has a long life span, once you see what it looks like and the full specs I hope it will remind you of how advanced the GP32 was at the time for a handheld, especially in our price range.
Sweet. To confirm it, I was AIM-ing the US distributor, and he assured me it would be impressive, but of course, didn't give me any details.

EDIT: When I say US distributor, I mean the official first one for the GP2X and the GP32 BLU.

jmetal88 said:
craigix said:
Sweet. To confirm it, I was AIM-ing the US distributor, and he assured me it would be impressive, but of course, didn't give me any details.

EDIT: When I say US distributor, I mean the official first one for the GP2X and the GP32 BLU.

:angry: this better not be a dumb prank :[

Good luck with the production of this device! Let us know the details when you can so there will be some software for it!

Good luck overall to the project members. I hope you listened to what the public induced as it probably will appeal to the people.

Just my reiteration:

* Cheap and appropiate energy source (i stressed it enough- right ?)
* sturdy shell
* internal battery powered real time clock
* upto 2x pcmcia slot for wifi or gprs/umts networking
* 2x SD/MMC (plus?) slots (sdio is purely optional)
* working DMA
* tightly coupled memory along with appropiate caches for a possible 2nd core
* main SoC should be be able to deep power down on request (key?)
* built-in video decoder / general purpose dsp (a better documented variant than mmsp2 would be *very* helpful)
* documented hardware if possible (some companies are much less reluctant than MES)
* Inputs:
* A primary input module: analogue Joystick, reconfigurable as digital joystick with low dead zone (maybe refittable with digital gamepad)
* Touchscreen (preferably multi-touch)
* Motion sensoric
* Ambient light sensoric (to regulate the backlight - needed for sunny days vs indoor)
* I2C (->ext or ->small connector at both sides), serial (->ext), USB outlet (USB A)
* a good heap of keys
* N64 Style backside buttons (Z-Button) along with shoulder buttons
* optional: dockable external inputs (should be attachable to left & right side of unit, connected via I2C)
* Outputs:
* at least 640x480 sized display or larger - 4:3 aspect ratio
* built-in amplifiers
* Video / VGA (->ext)
* status leds

Got quite huge :)

[edit] small correction

why not one more want list eh?

1. GOOD d-pad

Simply having a d-pad doesn't solve the issues of the stick. I actually prefer sticks like that of the NGPC.

Nothing ruins a gaming experience than a d-pad or stick that wont let you do what you want to do. Some great examples of dpads that are great are... The Japanese (non-ufo) pad, the Genesis 6 button pad, and uh..... well those tend to be the best around the block.

Some bad examples are

-DSLite pads which cannot do diagonals very well,
-Dualshock poor excuse of a dpad (in fact it probably shouldn't even be regarded as one).
-GC pad which is too tiny and also useless for diagonals
-In fact every dpad from nintendo is pretty weak. snes and nes were passable.
-probably anything else that doesn't come close to the specific models of saturn and genesis pads I've mentioned earlier.

oh ya, if this thing is going to be the life of a party, then there's no room for DEAD ZONES.

2. Keep it Linux, and see that it is all 100% OPEN SOURCE! WE LOVE FREEDOM!

3. ERGONOMICS SAVE AFRICA

4. I like the colour white

other stuff...

I don't really care for a larger screen or higher resolution. I love the gp2x screen as it does genesis, neo geo, and many arcade games perfectly. AND KEEP IT 4:3 yo!

touchscreen would be neat but I certainly don't see it being absolutely necessary. PDF, OGG, and everything else works fine on gp2x without touching the screen.

Wifi? I guess that'd be neat. But besides being able to download software, what's the point. I personally wouldn't care to pay for that when I can do all the online stuff with my pc or laptop. I just want some 90's gameage dude

Internal storage? How about sdhc support instead?

vga-out? SUPANICE! how about component too?

and DUDE! GEE PEE FORK YOU? pourquoi? ce n'est pas vraiment....cool

: Monday you can hold your head :
: Show some pictures in this thread :
```````````````````````````````

Ah com'on. As long as your all teasing us with giving 1 or 2 vague facts per 20 posts in this thread, why not make 1 official post? If you can say it here, you can announce it publicly somewhere else too.

But if you want to keep teasing us with small details, why not give us 1 prototype picture? If it's due to come out christmas 07 then surely you have some design ideas? pleaaaaaase? ;D

I guess Craigix doesn't want to post pictures until everythings finalized.

SDHC support is a given, but internal storage is of course required for storage of the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back