Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cowai said:
OMG N64 IS GOING TO PLEI NICE! ZOMG!!!

What I want is:
- Touchscreen
- Wifi
- Good 3D hardware
- 400mhz+ cpu
- no troubles
- PSX, gba, snes, N64 fullspeed.
- D-PAD or something similiar.
- And in-the-future-replaceable lithiums.
- Name: GPlol (it would sell as fruitcakes)
oh, almost forgot... a fine rocket launcher...

That would be really good, I woudnt want the touchscreen though, could make the price higher.
I also presume you mean no troubles to be good controls and decent battery life :p .

I hope that the price is at most £150. No I am not asking for much ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also presume you mean no troubles to be good controls and decent battery life :p .

Exactly.. What you said and no shitty screen.

Not caring about the vapour level of this thread i would like to see the following features for the GP2X successor:

* 100% hardware compatibility with the GP2X (i know, if the hardware is 99% compatible, this means that it is only 30 % software compatible.. i speak from experience..). an alternative would be do 99% hardware compatibility and just make stuff easy to port (similar hardware achitecture, SDL, Linux).
* faster CPU
* 2D acceleration with alpha and scaling
* 3D acceleration: matrix stuff, lines, bilinear mapped polys, anti-alias (to some degree)
* nokia battery (if at all possible due to licensing issues?) or internal AA charging functionality (sounds tricky with different types of battery, right?)
* 640x480 screen (exact quadruple of GP32 and GP2X for backwards compatibility)
* decent ergonomy: hardwired drive LED's, possibity to track battery power from within every app.. sturdy casing, better joystick. fast boot (like open2x) and some watchdog features to safely get out of crashing programs..

What i would -not- care about or would dislike:

* Wifi (eats batteries)
* Bluetooth
* different processor than ARM
* moving away from the "open" approach.. this would mean certain death for the machine (see XGP)

and as stated by others, I would like it to have the same community of users and developers.

The MMSP2+ sounds like the right choice for the core of the system. If somebody can enlighten me to how much compatible it really is to the MMSP2 i'd be very grateful =)

Uprising said:
That would be really good, I woudnt want the touchscreen though, could make the price higher.

I hope that the price is at most £150. No I am not asking for much ;)
A touchscreen won't skyrocket the price, internal Wifi / BT / GPRS / UMTS probably will. (thats why i opt for an optional pcmia module(s) for)

I would not like to see GPH's erros made once again: out of misplaced urge to shore costs deny some features. Stuff like the 18bit display adressing, the neglected internal touchscreen feature or the missing I2C port (which the GP32 had). This only decreases livespan of a device and will decrease attractiveness too. If some SoC internal feature could be placed as header on PCB (if not needed) ... very well!

Regarding inputs: i really accept others opinions but c'mon: adding a 3d chip without using an analogue stick? Thats plain mad and would spoil any N64 emulation option. I still opt here for a dual role digital analogue stick which could be reconfigured by software to act as digital one - preferably with low dead zone. To adress the comforts of the players i would have the main input easy swappable.

Price is something flexible but i agree it should not exceed some sane limit. The PS3 does not sell well because of it. But i guess we dont need a supercomputer computing power onboard to play simple games. For this reason some parts could be made optional, with upgrade kits being sold seperate. This could be the needed tradeoff between featuritis and spartanism.

I agree, if PSX and N64 will be main thing, then a analog stick should be...
Wifi doesn't cost much...

If N64 is a reality then we need the buttons.

Just saying...

No need to wait, here's a sneak preview.

100%20laptop.jpg

Looks like the handle on the side might get rid of all battery worries expressed in the thread so far.

An idea regarding final design... Clip-on case and buttons, people may want to customize their new toy ( not me, but you never know :lol: ).

Maybe twin SDIO slots similar to Zodiac ( could use one for WiFi for example and eradicate the need for internal WiFi )

I'm out of ideas :lol: must be the heat

Edit: Typo

X-Code said:
could use one for WiFi for example and eradicate the need for internal WiFi
Even though it'd be much cheaper and easier to just have WiFi included?

On an embedded Linux device, not everybody needs a screen, not everybody needs game controls, not everybody needs USB host, not everybody needs external storage (i.e. SD), not everybody needs speakers, not everybody needs video playback, not everybody needs more than a few KB of unused RAM, not everybody needs battery power, not everybody needs a serial console, not everybody....

See my point? :) I really don't think anybody would notice the extra cost of including WiFi, it's so small. This is why these "don't include x because not everybody will use it" arguments annoy me - leave it up to those footing the bill to decide what isn't included because nobody will use it. If it comes out too expensive (which I doubt it will), you are under no obligation to buy it.

Keep the same minimal and sharp design of the GP2X, no need for extravagant flashy designs with lots of different colours. And keep it black, the least distracting and most elegant colour choice for electronics.

If WiFi won't add much more to the cost, then add it, a small web browser wouldn't hurt anyone :)

Oh, and what's the new guy's name?

Being serious, you can add a truckload of nice stuff to the machine but it'll raise costs and raise the final price for the end user :), I for one would like integrated WiFi and twin SD slots and interchangeable case and buttons, and a load of other things, but I don't want to pay anything more than say ( for example ) maximum 175 - 200 euros.

I know that it's not my duty to be watching over these construction costs, but there must be a limit somewhere or we'll end up with a very expensive piece of kit that may never get to be used fully.

I would like it to have everything mentioned in this thread, if it's possible and it's end price is within my limits, fine, I'll buy two :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back