Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fishybawb said:
b_o_b said:
I've not seen very accurate price details. A bit more expensive than the gp2x, but not that much.
£175/$350 I reckon, looking at the specs/situation. Pure speculation of course, but then so's most of the rest of this thread :)

$350 is a lot of money. I would hope it would be closer to $300 at an absolute maximum. Remember that there's no VAT for Canadians and Americans (not sure about Aussies).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
$350 is a lot of money. I would hope it would be closer to $300 at an absolute maximum. Remember that there's no VAT for Canadians and Americans (not sure about Aussies).
That's true, I should have just said £175. We get the short (expensive) end of the stick over here in the UK ;) With the planned "better distribution", <$300 could well be closer to the mark for US buyers.

It would still be tough to crack with the PSP going for $170.

Who cares, its produced in the UK so Craig will need to pay the VAT to buy the parts so that will be expressed in the price. Stupid Americans, pay our prices for once, see how you like it.

Nova said:
Can we vote on a name? Please!
It already has a name, but EvilDragon won't tell us.

He's evil :angry:

craigix said:
Tell you what Sam, I'll send you some special free stuff with your system again ;)
Does that mean I will get some sort of extra accessory free? Or your code for "ill break something to do with the one I send you"? Because if its the sabotage one I will set trading standards on you :lol: :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Moxie said:
Xmoon said:
Vibration is good for a console. It's about games.
Really is it a great cost? :rolleyes:
Vibration might not be a great cost in money, but it is a great cost on your batteries. It also means moving parts, which break a lot quicker than non-moving parts, and vibration also brings greater stress on the rest of the system - Something that shakes about will break quicker than something which lays still.

Vibration is also irritating. But that is beside the point here :)

(Sorry for my crappy english)

Yes, vibration can be irritating.
In fact I usually turn off it for games in the Zodiac. :)
It can be very useful for alarms. (well if this console has no internal clock then it's not useful)

People with Ds and PSP gets impressed wiht vibration in Zodiac. They like it. It's a little selling point. But are you sure that a vibration can act as an earthquake in a handheld console? :blink:

kevcal said:
dunno how you can guess the price from what's been said. ;)
I take it you just have breadboard designs running at the moment??
I can't, that's why I said it's speculation ;)

This GP2X/PDA crossover idea is certainly ambitious though, I look forward to some concrete details. Also, who says it's being produced in the UK? Craig might very well be having it assembled/distributed by some company in China for all we know.

sam fisher said:
Who cares, its produced in the UK so Craig will need to pay the VAT to buy the parts so that will be expressed in the price. Stupid Americans, pay our prices for once, see how you like it.
? Who said it's produced in the UK?

TelcoLou said:
Nova said:
Can we vote on a name? Please!
It already has a name, but EvilDragon won't tell us.

He's evil :angry:

Sure I am. But you did know that, didn't ya?

Last edited:
This is turning out to be the perfect portable gaming device. I just hope it won't cost me a kidney to buy it (hoping for developers discount :p).

I'm really excited about this device, and I would be glad to contribute in any way if there's need for a developer...

Xmoon said:
People with Ds and PSP gets impressed wiht vibration in Zodiac. They like it. It's a little selling point. But are you sure that a vibration can act as an earthquake in a handheld console? :blink:
It can act as an earthquake on your battery life, that's for sure :)

Apart from that - Well, it depends on how much it is used and at what intensity. But something which shakes about will, by definition, be more exposed to material stress than something that doesn't.

You could also add that vibration motors (or piezos - How did the zodiac do this) is non-standard and fairly bulky hardware. Nonstandard = expensive, Hardware = expensive and Bulky = bulky :) Not very expensive in absolute terms, perhaps, but compared to the other components that go inte the machine.

Ryo said:
This is turning out to be the perfect portable gaming device. I just hope it won't cost me a kidney to buy it (hoping for developers discount :p).

I'm really excited about this device, and I would be glad to contribute in any way if there's need for a developer...
Craig implied earlier that he is working on the menu :p Puts you out of the job.... for now :ph34r:

Yeah I know, but I'm not just a menu-developer :p (even if it's the only app I released for the gp2x), anyway I was just offering my support already knowing that it was not needed :)

Would be nice, whilst the package manager/menu are still in the process of being coded, if a standard could be established to allow association with an executable. I.e. on unzipping a package check to see if there's a files.txt file present. The content of which would be something like:

CODE

Name: DrMD
Filetypes: .gen, .smd
.gen: <executablename> <filename> <arguments>
.smd: <executablename> <filename> <arguments>

On selecting a file (or a zip containing said file), you'd then be presented with a list of programs that had asked to be associated with it to choose from to run the file. Scroll down the list the first ime it shows up and press a secondary button to set as default (i.e. where the selection bar would start), meaning to run with the default application is just two button presses.

This *might* get complicated for popular formats (e.g. .mp3, .avi) if there were lots of programs that people decided to keep around to open them, but otherwise, it'd realise the whole idea of a directory full of games that would pretty near to automagically open if you opened them (as compared to opening the emulator then selecting the game).

Just a thought.

The thing that excites me is that the great Devs that give us so much are all coming here and expressing their support!

And all the people worrying about buying a PDA that always have rubbish controls, let's trust the crew behind this-they come from us and we are gamers! I reckon they will insist on great controls after all our bitching about the GP2x stick...

sam fisher said:
Ryo said:

Craig implied earlier that he is working on the menu :p Puts you out of the job.... for now :ph34r:

That wasn`t nice now sam, Was it ?.

Trooper

How many pages will this monster of a thread reach by release day? I'm willing to bet 250 :)

21 pages for me so far - all of you with 40-something really need to set 50 posts per page :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back