Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A_SN said:
Funny, I don't like that quick access button idea. At all. It doesn't make sense. It would on a PDA, but it doesn't belong on a game console, IMO. Plus, when we got buttons, we tend to use them for whatever we want in programs, just look at what people did with the volume buttons, barely half of programs use them only for sound.

Put differently, I think it's a bad idea to have buttons with very specific purposes, as we'll necessarily drift away from these specific purposes. Plus, how sensefull would that be if you happened to press one of these buttons while playing a game, as anyways you could have quick access to the same stuff with the menu.
I agree, they shouldn't on on a gaming device, plus as you say they will only work when in the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope some actual designer will design the console, no offense to you guys, the stuff you did is interesting and pertinent, but yeah, I guess it's not the kind of job you improvise doing.

Yeah, the hotkeys on my N800 work regardless of what programs I'm running. I think you guys are too used to weak hardware that only runs one program at a time.

A_SN said:
I just hope some actual designer will design the console, no offense to you guys, the stuff you did is interesting and pertinent, but yeah, I guess it's not the kind of job you improvise doing.
GPH improvised ;)

tim0391 said:
why would it only work on the main menu?
Because you are an idiot if you cannot work that out. Same reason the volume function on the GP2x only works if the Developer implements it himself :rolleyes:

Orkie said:
You could have a daemon which handles the key presses.
You could but I wouldn't want to accidentally end my game by slipping my finger onto one of those buttons.

tim0391 said:
thank you for such a usefull and thoughtful comment sam maybe some of us dont have a wiki for a brain <_<
Take no notice Tim, sam's just a troll that we never seemed to have got rid of.

A_SN said:
Funny, I don't like that quick access button idea. At all. It doesn't make sense. It would on a PDA, but it doesn't belong on a game console, IMO. Plus, when we got buttons, we tend to use them for whatever we want in programs, just look at what people did with the volume buttons, barely half of programs use them only for sound.

Put differently, I think it's a bad idea to have buttons with very specific purposes, as we'll necessarily drift away from these specific purposes. Plus, how sensefull would that be if you happened to press one of these buttons while playing a game, as anyways you could have quick access to the same stuff with the menu.
I would actually like one or two small "hotkeys", perhaps on the top of the unit where they're not accidentally pressed, specifically for enabling/disabling Bluetooth/WiFi (probably the biggest battery thiefs as per the current known specifications). A small diode, perhaps embedded in the corresponding hotkey, for indicating WiFi/BT status (off/on/connected) would be neat as well.

Hirolaser said:
I prefer a D-pad but if the devs are considering a joystick then one just like a neo geo pocket colour joystick would be excellent. It was an awesome controller
only if it didnt have that stupid clicking noise (it drives me insane)

hahahaha... good that sam is a real biologist. He knows how things work...

Anyway, I think it's cool how this thing is coming along. It's good to know that ideas from the community are being worked into the design and also that the devs listen for a change ^^. With gph it was always like screaming at a wall.

yes i think it is great that the dev are creating this handheld and by the specs that have been given out its going to be the bees knees. :)

I'm actually incredibly excited. I want one now!

A_SN said:
If you take a 4.3" wide 800x480 screen, and that you hide parts of it so that you only get to see a 640x480 area of it, then this area will be 4.3 / 800 * 640 = 3.44" wide, which is close enough to the GP2X's 3.5"
Screen sizes are always measured across the diagonal, not the width. A 3.5" 4:3 screen is 2.8"x2.1". A 4.3" 16:9 screen is ~ 3.74"x2.1", so the same height as we have now.

Samba Pa Ti said:
Hirolaser said:
I prefer a D-pad but if the devs are considering a joystick then one just like a neo geo pocket colour joystick would be excellent. It was an awesome controller
only if it didnt have that stupid clicking noise (it drives me insane)

I love the clicky. That was my favorite thing about the GP32.

jmetal88 said:
I love the clicky. That was my favorite thing about the GP32.

Hi guys, I've been considering a purchase of a GP2X for a while, but I always wanted a portable console that would be able to play n64 and ps1 titles and everything below it at a decent playable framerate. The PSP does have a few full speed emulators, but the overall design of the product just ticks me off and I just hate the d-pad (especially when im playing marvel vs capcom on a cps2 emulator :p) So a friend of mine told me about this thread, and the possibility of a successor to the GP2X, there are 70 pages in this thread, I've read a few, but I had a few questions which I'd really appreciate if you guys answered.

1) Is this new console actually being developed on or is this thread all about rumors that possible developers of the product have left throughout the board?
2) What exactly are the capabilities of this handheld? (is it able to emulate 2d games at a full speed? Is there a possibility of old fps to be ported onto it at a decent speed? i.e half life, quake 3)
3)I have read the rumored specifications of the handheld console and im not really familiar with most of the terms, but looking at the specifications announced is there a possibility of an n64 and playstation 1 emulator on this console, from the designs I have seen, theres no analog? How would the controls work out for 3d games?

If the questions I asked were to far fetched and crazy, especially looking at the fact that this console is in its early stages, then please disregard this post completely.
Thanks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back