Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amit said:
1) Is this new console actually being developed on or is this thread all about rumors that possible developers of the product have left throughout the board?
2) What exactly are the capabilities of this handheld? (is it able to emulate 2d games at a full speed? Is there a possibility of old fps to be ported onto it at a decent speed? i.e half life, quake 3)
3)I have read the rumored specifications of the handheld console and im not really familiar with most of the terms, but looking at the specifications announced is there a possibility of an n64 and playstation 1 emulator on this console, from the designs I have seen, theres no analog? How would the controls work out for 3d games?
1) We think this console is under active development.
2) Exact specs have not been provided yet, but the expectation is that quake 3 could run okay at least if properly tweaked
3) N64 no, playstation 1 yes. Controls are completely unknown, add your ideas to the mix! I believe a D-pad and keyboard of some kind are confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are already prototypes.

It should be able to run Quake 3. Snes is already fullspeed with no optimizations.

Controls aren't finalized, yet?

Metal-Geo said:
Edit:
gpwtf2rn4.png

It's getting a bit "long". Meh. Please do note that it's not really a sketch for the design, but more for button placing. The idea of the first one was to show the "hidden control" scheme. I think I'm gonna continue with that one. My goal now is to give it a keyboard that doubles for the controls.

This is a lot better (Yes, I know I'm late to the party, but this thread moves so quick I can't keep up with it. I'd say it must be playable without sliding out the keyboard. And by "playable" I mean playing games using the gaming controls, not "well, I can fiddle on the screen a bit".

Actually, I also agree with DaveC on the "two buttons below the Dpad" thing. What is the world coming to?

1) Is this new console actually being developed on or is this thread all about rumors that possible developers of the product have left throughout the board?
2) What exactly are the capabilities of this handheld? (is it able to emulate 2d games at a full speed? Is there a possibility of old fps to be ported onto it at a decent speed? i.e half life, quake 3)
3)I have read the rumored specifications of the handheld console and im not really familiar with most of the terms, but looking at the specifications announced is there a possibility of an n64 and playstation 1 emulator on this console, from the designs I have seen, theres no analog? How would the controls work out for 3d games?

If the questions I asked were to far fetched and crazy, especially looking at the fact that this console is in its early stages, then please disregard this post completely.
Thanks!! :)

edit: these questions have been answered better and more accurately by others. here's the little extra i have to add:

i'm thinking that analog controls may be the best way to make everyone happy. if there was some way to set up the thresholds for digital-style control, people could then choose what they wanted for a dead zone, whether or not to have diagonals, etc...and maybe even on a application basis.

you don't like the psp design. i definitely agree that it has flaws. but you have to grant me that there are compromises to be made if you want to play a game not only emulated but emulated on a handheld. i'm sure that will hold true here as well, if nothing else.

DaveC said:
In theory that will work. It may be OK 95% of the time. But haven't you heard of the problems with windows .dll files? The same thing that I said has happened alot.. Someone installs app with new .dll, old app breaks.

This timing improvement you speak of could break stuff. What if the coder took the timing of the old lib into account when doing the sound or screen update etc into their app? Update and the sound may be off etc. You can't assume anything.
Yes, m$ had been evil in the past: irreversibely removing functions out of shell.dll and moving them to another dll... (between windows variants).. of course it broke compatibility (my strong guess: it was planned to make appear older variants to be "outdated") and as i already said this will not happen here.

rokdcasbah said:
i'm thinking that analog controls may be the best way to make everyone happy. if there was some way to set up the thresholds for digital-style control, people could then choose what they wanted for a dead zone, whether or not to have diagonals, etc...and maybe even on a application basis.
Me no like. One of the important things with a digital pad is not only that it registers the correct direction quicly, but also that it stops the movement there. That's why it is so difficult to use an analog stick in quick movements, even if there is not dead zone - it is necessary with the tactile feedback.

Man, my english sucks tonight.

DaveC said:
sam fisher said:
I really like that design aswell.
With this small change for MAME stuff:

gpwtf2rn4.png

I had a similar Idea for vertical Mode :lol:

Yes, thats no design, it's just a scribble where I would like to see Buttons. Important (for my big hands) a high position of the pad and Action Buttons. Speaker over the Buttons/Pad so they are free, SD slot at the right so we have much space at the top of the device. :) NO Keyboard! This should be an attachable gadget and not a part of the device. I think a build in Keyboard is more expencive, the device is more sensitive especially when falling over and we have more movable parts on the Handheld, not good, really.
With an seperate keyboard everyone could decide if he wants one or not :)

fusion_power said:
I had a similar Idea for vertical Mode :lol:

Yes, thats no design, it's just a scribble where I would like to see Buttons. Important (for my big hands) a high position of the pad and Action Buttons. Speaker over the Buttons/Pad so they are free, SD slot at the right so we have much space at the top of the device. :) NO Keyboard! This should be an attachable gadget and not a part of the device. I think a build in Keyboard is more expencive, the device is more sensitive especially when falling over and we have more movable parts on the Handheld, not good, really.
With an seperate keyboard everyone could decide if he wants one or not :)

Good connector places :)
Perhaps an ext connector in the bottom, tv on the top, volume wheel on left and finally a third button for vertically use ? ;)

Thanks for the replies!

Heres a picture I made of a gp3x design. I know its not really creative, basically looks like every other rendition of the handheld.
gp3xkh2.png

haha I know, I suck at drawing. but I was thinking, due to the 3d hardware, there should be 2 analogs at both sides, and a d-pad.

See, the reason why the PSP's d-pad and analog interfere with each other is that all of this is condensed into a console that has a very small height compared to its width. So the D-pad and analog get in the way of each other. If they increased the height of the psp, I doubt they would interfere with each other. You can pull off the nub off a psp, it still gets in the way, but not as much as it did before.

So I was thinking, If your playing a 2d fighting game like street fighter, you can just pull off the nubs off the handheld and play the games with comfort, and if you want to play a 3d game, just put on the nubs. They can also release different shapes and sizes of the nubs for different people.

Here's one I made using mpaint and some keyboard I took off of another design. We don't really need the number pad. I would rather have a keyboard with bigger buttons than a small cramped keyboard with two sets of number keys. ;) Keep in mind that I am only good at sketching, I can't draw for crap when it comes to computers. Plus, scanners make my pictures look like crap:
gp2x2tr8.png

I think that this is what most of us here would need.

OMars said:
Here's one I made using mpaint and some keyboard I took off of another design. We don't really need the number pad. I would rather have a keyboard with bigger buttons than a small cramped keyboard with two sets of number keys. ;) Keep in mind that I am only good at sketching, I can't draw for crap when it comes to computers. Plus, scanners make my pictures look like crap:
gp2x2tr8.png

I had imagined something like that for hiding the keyboard, screen sliding up and down over it. Good job.

OMars said:
gp2x2tr8.png

Yes, I personally think that is the best design.

Advantages:
- Sturdy thick base
- Simpler construction
- Single circuit board

Disadvantage:
- non full-width keyboard

If they really wanted to get fancy they could put a swivel point on the sliding unit at the base of the display so it could tip up if desired, making an angle with the keyboard.

The sliding section could be flush with the main section (meaning the keyboard is recessed), or the sliding screen could be higher than the single flat control surface (though maybe not much higher than the top of the D-pad buttons). Which one is simpler depends on how the sliding mechanism needs to work, about which I have no clue.

fatdad said:
why not make it close like a gba or ds ..so the screen will be protected while in your pocket/bag etc...
Because then we'll have to suffer DaveC complaining about how he can't play vertically-oriented games properly for the next 4 years. And we don't want that. :ph34r:

tim0391 said:
shame they cant show us a pic of a prototype :(
I'm sure Craigix will post pictures as soon as he has something more finalized.

Because then we'll have to suffer DaveC complaining about how he can't play vertically-oriented games properly for the next 4 years. And we don't want that

We could open a new forum for the machine and ban DaveC? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back