Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
n8archer_XI said:
Will we ever have Dreamcast emulation on this new project (or CPS3)?

craigix said:
No, no dreamcast or N64 emulation (at least not full speed N64).

A system which could do that would be way too expensive to make currently.
Dunno about CPS3 emulation... probably not though.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a tilt sensor or motion sensor? Some GBA games use it, and I can see being used in 3d shoots, puzzle games, and all kinds of home brew. Maybe even add a plugin for the user interface, rotate hand held to scroll or some thing more creative, i'm sleepy.

craigix said:
The install system is pretty simple, it is just one DIR is made for the program and all its stuff goes in there (with its sub dirs).

Uninstall just deletes the DIR.

This way the menu only has to do a quick root scan on boot to see what's installed.

You don't have to use this system though, the archive has both an 'install now' and a zip download option.
Just out of curiosity: Are dependencies automatically handled (dynamic libraries and the like)? And is there (or will there be) version handling so downloading a new version of <insert app/game or dependency here> will automatically detect and update/overwrite the previous version installed?

craigix said:
No Vibration, no camera. We are trying to keep it as simple as we can, we don't want a Gizmondo on our hands here!

We thought a long time about GPS but don't think we will bother, there isn't any open GPS software or maps.
Good - vibration can be annoying and would add bulk and moving parts to the design. If you include Bluetooth (I couldn't care less, personally) then those wishing to use a GPS will have the possibility to do so without including it in the unit itself, or they can even do it through USB if the unit supports USB host.

Alex. said:
It would still be tough to crack with the PSP going for $170.
The PSP is a simple and locked-down games machine which has to be hacked to even run any homebrew games. This device we're hearing about here will be basically be a pocketable Linux computer with focus on emulation and homebrew games, but a lot of other useful features as well. If I was to choose between a PSP and this, and this unit ends up costing £125-£150 (that's $250-$300 not counting taxes and stuff), I'd still choose this unit because of it's flexibility and open-ness, and because it's a community-driven project that deserves support.

lawndart said:
How about a tilt sensor or motion sensor? Some GBA games use it, and I can see being used in 3d shoots, puzzle games, and all kinds of home brew. Maybe even add a plugin for the user interface, rotate hand held to scroll or some thing more creative, i'm sleepy.
Wouldn't that require more moving parts and also more weight/bulk? The less moving parts in a handheld, the more durable, I'd think. That being said, a tilt sensor could be put to good use in games and interfaces (HTC uses it for scrolling for example), but if the people developing this thing decides it'd be too bulky or require too much battery/CPU power or whatever, it's their decision. From what I've heard so far it'll be a totally kick-ass unit with or without tilt sensors.

People asking for pictures... The design is not completed yet. But why don't you post some ideas about the outlook of the new device?.. Some sketches maybe? We can catch something good to add in while we can. ;)

It has a 4.3" widescreen display and a keyboard. The rest is as you know.

Nice, I'll dust off the old sketchbook :)

What buttons does it have? Like the GP2X but with one additional analogue stick?

Shifty said:
n8archer_XI said:
Will we ever have Dreamcast emulation on this new project (or CPS3)?

craigix said:
No, no dreamcast or N64 emulation (at least not full speed N64).

A system which could do that would be way too expensive to make currently.
Dunno about CPS3 emulation... probably not though.

How about Jaguar?

I think it's great that Craig, Ed and mfk develop a new open-source system.
That takes time, effort, a big bag of money and some serious guts to do!

Can't wait to play.

mfk said:
People asking for pictures... The design is not completed yet. But why don't you post some ideas about the outlook of the new device?.. Some sketches maybe? We can catch something good to add in while we can. ;)

Given that it's gonna be good for 3d, I'd suggest something like a dpad on the left hand side, and an analog stick on the right along with the 4 buttons that the gp2x has now- this would allow for good control in 3d games. (or even possibly an analog on both sides and a dpad...)

Maybe the analog sticks could be removable for people who don't want analog sticks poking out all the time.

EDIT: Maybe this is thinking too far outside the box, but maybe it could have a modular control system- swap out the digital controls for analog ones when the need arises?? (probably too complicated)

mfk said:

4.3" at 800x480 is great news.

I was thinking of creating some kind of mod that would look like a trackball, but only move a very limited distance and return to the center automatically. That could also be depressed and be used as a button, although a spring behind it would add to the softness and feel of the motion/s.

I think the essentials for any new unit would have to be full function usb (mobile charging/playing in cars/aircraft would be very useful), some kind of decent lock program with an owner information screen, bluetooth (for headphones, speakers, other accessories), wifi (if not, multiple sdio slots, maybe one beneath the batteries inside the casing), tilt sensors, perhaps a kensington lock slot (simple to add and is a good idea), perhaps a case similar to some O2 pdas.. they have a slide out keyboard. If pda functions will be utilised, then a kb would be more than useful, perhaps a docking station with larger buttons/controllers and other options, the ports should probably be covered with retractable flaps, not rubber plugs. The cover could be lifted then pushed back into the case. If people are having screen damage issues, how about a flap that covers the screen as well? It could fold back over the console.

Just my two cents worth :D

~Fox

Apologies for the lag in this reply but you turn your back on this thread for a minute and it's steam-rollered on another 10 pages - back on page 50(ish) there were some photos/images of the XGP.

Was that the actual look of the thing ? That was one ugly unit if so.

/me hopes the designer has been sentenced to a life designing widgets (plastic free-flow not QT) and not allowed to even taint the new machine with a look of his eyes

DaveC said:
I do worry about dynamic libraries. What if you have an app that uses a certain one, then the library gets updated for a newer app and then the old app stops working? The old app could be updated but you know how devs come and go and many times don't release the source. Could be an issue. Static ones are bigger but apps are generally pretty small anyway. What is a meg here and there when 8-gig cards are getting cheaper by the day and will be real cheap by the time this is released?
Why? It's not for you to worry about, that's a problem for the developers of both applications and the firmware, not you. You clearly don't know what you are talking about and are desperately scrambling around for things to slag off just for the sake of doing so. Static binaries have always been a bad thing on the GP2X - you are the only person I've seen disagree with this.

About design... mfk I don't know if you have mentioned this or not, but is the keyboard going to be detachable :) ?

As for the shape of the machine, I would most definitely go for the sleek lines of the Zodiac, just make it thicker and work on the ergonomics around buttons, shoulder triggers and DPad... The keyboard could be nested inside a machine like that if it's approximately as thick as a PSP I think.

I need some coffee :lol:

drop the keyboard, and use the extra space for battery instead. We can use the touchscreen...oh my, I'm brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back