Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dzz said:
Another design variation is this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ductId=11040253

It would also have to be wider, but in this case, sliding out the keyboard would not have to make the dpad/buttons more awkward to access, though the keyboard ends up smaller. The keys on the unit are backlit, which is sort of nice I suppose.
[...]
Having the screen slide up instead of having the keyboard slide out does give the device a sturdy feel.

i agree. seems the most useful design to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal-Geo said:
The keyboard is bigger than 5cm across. It should be equally to the keyboard of the Qtek 9100. However, due to the lack of a ruler, I was unable to do any "precise" work. :(
I created the sketch in Adobe Illustrator, with the units being 'mm'. In my sketch, the handheld is 122,6 x 101.3 x 19 mm. The keyboard is (edge to edge) is 73.8 x 26.2 mm.
If we are to go by mfk's specifications, the screen will be widescreen (probably 15:9) 4,3 inch which means: ~99,66mm x ~56,19mm, or in inches: ~3,69" x ~2,21".

Just something for us all to keep in mind when we design our mockups.

A_SN said:
Metal-Geo said:
That's more like it! :) What about you try with my idea of making the 80 extra pixels on each side of the 800x480 screen go under the translucent plastic cover just to see how it'd fit? ;)

Wait, you mean, basically cut off 80 pixels on each side and change the screen into 4:3? :D

cappuchok said:
If we are to go by mfk's specifications, the screen will be widescreen (probably 15:9) 4,3 inch which means: ~99,66mm x ~56,19mm, or in inches: ~3,69" x ~2,21".

Just something for us all to keep in mind when we design our mockups.

The screen is, at the moment, 95,3 x 55,8 mm according to Illustrator. Maybe with the next sketches I'll be more precise. ;)

Oh wait I just realized something. With all the features listen, wouldn't it make the GP3X superior to the Nokia N800 internet tablet? Let's compare..

GP3X : 128 MB RAM? Check. Touchscreen? Check. 800x480 screen? Check. Wifi? Check.

You know what it means? Internet browsing, email, internet radio, IM, unixy stuff (imagine SSHing or VNCing to your home box from it..), etc..

Wouldn't YouTube on the GP3X = teh win?

EDIT : Metal-Geo : not cut off, "hide" under the plastic cover, which would be translucent, so you could do cool light effects with the "hidden" part of the screen :p

cappuchok said:
Metal-Geo said:
How about the controls (buttons and direction thingy, whatever) on the keyboard? Would mean we'd have a much bigger screen.

Although, that might be uncomfortable after a long time of gaming.
Just two things:

I believe it was mfk who already said the screen is 4.3 inches. So we know that much.
Also, I think priority should definitely be given to comfortable gaming controls, and putting them on the slideout keyboard would probably mean too thin a grip to be comfortable.

Though it's good to see the different designs out there for inspiration.

Yes and if the controls were on the keyboard that would cause other problems. The typing area itself would have to be be smaller to make room for the controls. Then the controls themselves would be rather cramped as they have to share real estate with the keyboard keys making them too close together. Then you have the problem that keys would frequently get in the way. This style would compromise both gaming AND typing. Plus this style prohibits vertical arcade gaming by rotating unit :ph34r:

Best too keep separate.

Metal-Geo said:
gpwtf2rn4.png

It's getting a bit "long". Meh. Please do note that it's not really a sketch for the design, but more for button placing. The idea of the first one was to show the "hidden control" scheme. I think I'm gonna continue with that one. My goal now is to give it a keyboard that doubles for the controls.

That is a better idea. Add two buttons under the D-pad and now all of those arcade shooters and games (1943, Cave shooters, CPS2, Ms. Pac-man etc) can be played flipped vertical (keyboard closed).

Yes it is getting more of the size of a PSP but everyone is used to the PSP size anyway right? That is the compromise you have to make due to a widescreen. That is why I don't like widescreens in handhelds, just a bad use of space. If that was a 3.7" 640*480 VGA screen that design would work even better (more compact) and emu screens would be quite a bit larger than they would be on a 4.3" WS.

Important question, will there be a FPU? IMHO it'd be a huge mistake to not have one.

DaveC said:
If that was a 3.7" 640*480 VGA screen that design would work even better and emu screens would be quite a bit larger than they would be on a 4.3" WS.
Which is why I seriously think we should go for a 800x480 screen and have the extra 80 pixels on each side hidden under the translucent cover. This way we'll have a true 640x480 screen without an elongated design, and the extra pixels won't be wasted away and will allow us to do cool things with it, provided that the plastic cover is translucent

A_SN said:
Important question, will there be a FPU? IMHO it'd be a huge mistake to not have one.

DaveC said:
If that was a 3.7" 640*480 VGA screen that design would work even better and emu screens would be quite a bit larger than they would be on a 4.3" WS.
Which is why I seriously think we should go for a 800x480 screen and have the extra 80 pixels on each side hidden under the translucent cover. This way we'll have a true 640x480 screen without an elongated design, and the extra pixels won't be wasted away and will allow us to do cool thing with it, provided that the plastic cover is translucent

Yeah but that wouldn't reduce the length of the unit or make 4:3 emulated games any bigger. A true 3.7" VGA screen would.

DaveC said:
Yes it is getting more of the size of a PSP but everyone is used to the PSP size anyway right? That is the compromise you have to make due to a widescreen. That is why I don't like widescreens in handhelds, just a bad use of space. If that was a 3.7" 640*480 VGA screen that design would work even better (more compact) and emu screens would be quite a bit larger than they would be on a 4.3" WS.
Craigix have posted a comparaison yesterday
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry547761

the Vega have the same kind 4.3' 800x480 screen. It's not much wider isn't it?

DaveC said:
Yeah but that wouldn't reduce the length of the unit or make 4:3 emulated games any bigger. A true 3.7" VGA screen would.
Well, that'd make a 3.44" screen... and then, are all WS screens 4.3", and does the 640x480 area have to be 3.7" wide?

wow davec likes the design! We are wittnessing a major breakthrough here ;-)!

I wonder if there is a way to make 3d games more playable. Is a stick plus a dpad possible or would that become too huge?

Well... it's not up to us anyways.

DaveC said:
Metal-Geo said:
It's getting a bit "long". Meh. Please do note that it's not really a sketch for the design, but more for button placing. The idea of the first one was to show the "hidden control" scheme. I think I'm gonna continue with that one. My goal now is to give it a keyboard that doubles for the controls.

That is a better idea. Add two buttons under the D-pad and now all of those arcade shooters and games (1943, Cave shooters, CPS2, Ms. Pac-man etc) can be played flipped vertical (keyboard closed).

Agreed, I think. It will have to be 'long'. Given 3.69" of screen, that makes it a mere .69" longer than the current GP2x - which is even a bit stubby.

Also on FPU if it is the MMSP2+ it won't have one at least I can't find mention of one on the datasheet.
But it does have this, which Squidge pointed out;

"Programmable floating point vector processing engine for geometric transform."

Its part of the 3d graphics processor. This would seem to confirm we are dealing with the MMSP2+ for definite though.

Zeladin said:
Also on FPU if it is the MMSP2+ it won't have one at least I can't find mention of one on the datasheet.
Errr, I thought the use of a MMSP2+ had been ruled out..

DaveC said:
Metal-Geo said:
gpwtf2rn4.png

I really like that design aswell.

A_SN said:
Zeladin said:
Errr, I thought the use of a MMSP2+ had been ruled out..

No it hasn't. Infact, due to price considerations and such, and the fact Squidge was talking specifically about the MMSP2+, I am almost positive that this is the SoC on which the handheld will be based.

Here's my visualisation of it. I like the idea of a dpad, but the stick click was also useful, for me at least. So why not make a button in the centre of the pad.

geepeewn8.png

EDIT: Bear in mind screen isn't to scale, and keys are inaccurate. Oh, and I forgot to add speakers :s

now imagine playing a fighting game like say... garou: motw... you need to perform a few moves and slide over your dpad. But you will definetly get stuck on the button in the middle! Also, what would that button be used for if you click it accidently all the time? There really isn't anything you could assign to the button which would not disturb gameplay at some point when clicking it accidently.

sam fisher said:
I really like that design aswell.
With this small change for MAME stuff:

gpwtf2rn4.png

seems fair enough. I wonder if rotating the screen is supported by the new chipset? but then again, mame can do it software-wise which should be enough.

A_SN said:
DaveC said:
Well, that'd make a 3.44" screen... and then, are all WS screens 4.3", and does the 640x480 area have to be 3.7" wide?

I don't quite understand.

But I will say that all 640X480 screens I have seen are 3.7". And we do know that this WS is going to be 4.3". We also know that even the GP2X 3.5" screen is *slightly* taller than a 4.3" WS (those with a PSP and a GP2X can compare). So a 3.7" 4:3 will be substantially larger when playing games designed for 4:3 (emus, PC ports etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back