D1x Rebirth

Hey folks

Merry Christmas to you all - I hope you have much fun with my first release of D1X-Rebirth

To answer some questions:
* Yes unfortunately currently only v1.4 full version of D1 is supported by this port. The sources are still a bit limited and Shareware support would still require a new build (with probably not yet ARM compatible code). So sorry - I had no time recently
* The controls are still hardcoded because I needed to set up some key combos. So IF I would use the mapping table for the controls (which WOULD work) the combos would still go wild. Due limited time I gone the way to hardcode the controls... so please give me a bit more time.
* Currently MIDI is only possible on AWE cards but Timidity music support (also MP3 and OGG playback (which will depend on CPU usage)) is planned and will be included in the next version
* Descent2 will come as soon as I'm able to solve the AI path problems I still have there which are caused by the very bad use of global pointers ... The bots still act too strange and a release would be nothing more than crap....

As you read out I'm currently very limited in terms of time (and also money - since I need to work also :) ) and I need to take care about the PC version as well.

But I will double my work. - this won't be the last release. Your feedback is very welcome so I can improve the port a little bit.

P.S. Please notice that Descent code is everything but ARM friendly... it requires some rewrites, so it just takes it's time...

But until then: Merry christmas!

P.S. I repeat myself in that post several times - sorry for that: christmas party up ahead :)

i were a bit disapointed when I launched the game with cockpit, and saw thescreen was only 320x200... But I had great relief when I launched the game without cockpit!! it is WAY better ;) very playable @ 250Mhz!

Controls are weirds : I am used to strafe with the triggers, but hey unless keys are customizable, you can't satisfy everyone ;)

Anyway, you did great job, as I haven't noticed any bugs or crashes and have nothing more to say about this port, and everyone will have to thank you and wish you a merry christmas (playing your own game? ;) )

reiboul posted on Dec 24 2006 at 10:20 AM said:
i were a bit disapointed when I launched the game with cockpit, and saw thescreen was only 320x200... But I had great relief when I launched the game without cockpit!! it is WAY better ;) very playable @ 250Mhz!
Ah, didn't realize the other executable was full screen. It's much nicer that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you add improvements over the original game? I haven't played original Descent on PC, but the textures looks actually smoother and better than other old-style software 3D engines :)

zico posted on Dec 24 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
Merry Christmas to you all - I hope you have much fun with my first release of D1X-Rebirth

Hi zico.
I just wanted to let you know that your Descent interpreter is one of (and probably THE) main reasons I decided to take the plunge and buy myself a lovely GP2x.

I'll be purchasing after the holidays and am very excited to play my favorite childhood PC game in a new environment :D

Thanks so much for the hard work!

zico posted on Dec 24 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
Hey folks

* The controls are still hardcoded because I needed to set up some key combos. So IF I would use the mapping table for the controls (which WOULD work) the combos would still go wild. Due limited time I gone the way to hardcode the controls... so please give me a bit more time.

P.S. I repeat myself in that post several times - sorry for that: christmas party up ahead :)

I would probably do something like triggers strafe, "B" shoots lasers, "A" shoots missiles, and Y forward, X reverse.

Maybe you could have like 3 or 4 preset hardcoded control schemes until you have time to make a more user customizable one.

This way the controls are still hardcoded for ease of coding but the user could select between some different schemes like I mentioned above. You could take some suggestions of schemes from this post and add them in. The way it is now it is not bad, it is a little awkward to fire with the triggers though. That is mainly due to the button design.

Thanks for the great port, it plays well, merry xmas.

DaveC posted on Dec 25 2006 at 07:59 AM said:
zico posted on Dec 24 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
Hey folks

I would probably do something like triggers strafe, "B" shoots lasers, "A" shoots missiles, and Y forward, X reverse.

Maybe you could have like 3 or 4 preset hardcoded control schemes until you have time to make a more user customizable one.

This way the controls are still hardcoded for ease of coding but the user could select between some different schemes like I mentioned above. You could take some suggestions of schemes from this post and add them in. The way it is now it is not bad, it is a little awkward to fire with the triggers though. That is mainly due to the button design.

Thanks for the great port, it plays well, merry xmas.

Not that it is unusual to shoot with the triggers (look at many Xbox FPS) but it is a real handicap, not to be able to strafe while shooting and aiming :unsure:

I just been playing this on my GP2X and I must say what a great game on the GP2X. I remember playing this game on my PC years ago. I just want to make a small request please If possible add cheat support In future versions If possible thanks :) keep up the good work and thanks for the port to the GP2X.

Very very good game! Plays unbelievably well on the gp2x, great flow.
I really suck at it, but it's a game that will not leave my sd card until I'm a decent player. No kidding there!

BTW. Wouldn't it be possible with this interpreter to create a futuristic 3d racing game?

Never played Wipeout (I needed to search for the game to know what you meant)
I did play flux challenge for the pocket pc http://www.pdamill.com/prod_fl.shtml and that game has (imho) the same flow/feeling as D1x rebirth. So that made me wonder if it was possible to made racing tracks with the interpreter.

A couple of tracks and a timer (qualification time for the next track) would be enough for a great game. And with a ghostplayer even more fun.
I have absolutely no idea if it is even remotely possible :)

Won't run at all for me. I am using firmware 2.1 and I'm using the correct files but all I get when I run either executable is a black screen. :-(

Dr Cain posted on Dec 24 2006 at 01:02 PM said:
Full version 1.4 works, if you don't have 1.4, patch it.
:unsure: Where could we found this holly patch ?
I only found original v1.0 and shareware version.

... :rolleyes: Never mind, I found it ;)

This is a great port, Thanks Zico !
Never played this one before, but I like the way we can fly around and explore the levels.
A must play for the Gp2X I think.

A great port, thanks!

I agree with DaveC's comment about multipul configs that could be user selectable, that is how the PSX version did it :) My personal config would look like this.

MOVEMENT

PITCH FORWARD = STICK UP
PITCH BACKWARD = STICK DOWN (with an option to invert)
TURN LEFT = STICK LEFT
TURN RIGHT = STICK RIGHT
ACCELERATE = Y
REVERSE = X
SLIDE ON = STICK PRESS
BANK ON = (I dont know of one place in game where banking is needed if you use auto level)
SLIDE LEFT = L
SLIDE RIGHT = R

WEAPONS

FIRE PRIMARY = A
FIRE SECONDARY = B
CYCLE PRIMARY = SELECT + A
CYCLE SECONDARY = SELECT + B
FIRE FLARE = SELECT + L
DROP BOMB = SELECT + R

MISC

AUTOMAP = SELECT + X
SAVE GAME = SELECT + START
MAIN MENU/PAUSE = START
VOL-/+ = IN-/DECREASE VOLUME

:) Just an idea of course, great port, even with the curret fiddly control set!

yodaofborg posted on Dec 27 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
A great port, thanks!

I agree with DaveC's comment about multipul configs that could be user selectable, that is how the PSX version did it :) My personal config would look like this.

MOVEMENT

PITCH FORWARD = STICK UP
PITCH BACKWARD = STICK DOWN (with an option to invert)
TURN LEFT = STICK LEFT
TURN RIGHT = STICK RIGHT
ACCELERATE = Y
REVERSE = X
SLIDE ON = STICK PRESS
BANK ON = (I dont know of one place in game where banking is needed if you use auto level)
SLIDE LEFT = L
SLIDE RIGHT = R

WEAPONS

FIRE PRIMARY = A
FIRE SECONDARY = B
CYCLE PRIMARY = SELECT + A
CYCLE SECONDARY = SELECT + B
FIRE FLARE = SELECT + L
DROP BOMB = SELECT + R

MISC

AUTOMAP = SELECT + X
SAVE GAME = SELECT + START
MAIN MENU/PAUSE = START
VOL-/+ = IN-/DECREASE VOLUME

:) Just an idea of course, great port, even with the curret fiddly control set!

That would be ok except for the stick press. D-pad users and those who don't want to break the stick would not want to use that.

Hmm, yes, I forgot that some dpad mods do not have a way to utilise the stick button. Maybe add to that with Volume for Up/Down slide, and have Select + Volume Up/Down for changing volume, so people without the willingness to break things (I like fixing things, its what I eat and what I do :p ) / People without that button, can go up and down still.

Back