Dat Price Tag Tho

This system is gonna cost more than nextgen consoles, how is that even possible?!
Economies of scale, larger R&D devision, supplemental income, lots and lots of reasons.
Those specs can go down to a little bit above the 3DS and I'll be happy..
I don't think you appreciate how very low powered the 3DS really is. The Pandora can calculate circles around it. "a little above the 3DS" would be a huge downgrade.

but with such a huge price point I have no idea how many people will be using it...
Well the demand for the Pandora has been outstripping supply at about $500. If the Pyra comes in at $600-$700 I don't see any problems whatsoever.

OR are there any plans to get developers to port things to the Pyra. I bought the gcw-zero for $135 via it's kickstarter and I've been developing for it and support it since; with the Pyra and OpenPandora I want to do the same thing; but with such a huge price point I have no idea how many people will be using it...
Don't worry about developper for the Pyra. I'm pretty sure most of the active porter/developper of the Pandora will work on the Pyra too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OR are there any plans to get developers to port things to the Pyra. I bought the gcw-zero for $135 via it's kickstarter and I've been developing for it and support it since; with the Pyra and OpenPandora I want to do the same thing; but with such a huge price point I have no idea how many people will be using it...
Don't worry about developper for the Pyra. I'm pretty sure most of the active porter/developper of the Pandora will work on the Pyra too :)
I'm already wondering how many nanolemmings per second the Pyra can compute ;)

There will be so many of them on screen that even a 4k screen could not cut it, and they would be invading into your world, messing up your garden.

Well, it seems like it's pretty much unknown to many people here how the prices are being calculated... since part of the Pyra experience is to follow the development to the finished product, I think I'll do a blog post about how prices are being calculated, using the Pandora as example.

Grrrr, ED that's not what we really want to know.

I'm struggling to decide whether have lunch in a bar or McDonald because I want to have enough to buy pyra on day 1. Keeping me guessing and holding on to my income is just cruel.

It would be interesting to know though, just how much is going on in the background.

Save every day 6€ Money, by not smoking a Pack of Cigaretts, and you have 600 € in 100days

I never do smoking, so i will have the money for the Pyra..
Or smoke those electronic cigarettes that are everywhere atm. In Ireland anyhow.!! :rolleyes: :)

He was using the price of the EVM to represent the estimated price of the Pyra board in the finished product. (which seems fair for a ballpark figure)  The price EVM itself won't be a factor in the eventual price of the Pyra.

- Neelix
The price of EVMs don't really reflect anything.. especially if they're products meant for companies which are expected to be able to pay a premium for a development aid.

Since we're doing total bullshit BOM parts estimations here's mine, note a lot of this is just total guessing and none of it is based on anything I know more than anyone else:

Board components:

SoC: $40 OMAP5432 (gut feeling based on historical prices I've seen for OMAP vs volume for this part; can't find OMAP5432 for sale anywhere)

RAM: $30 2GB Micron DDR3L (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MT41K256M16HA-125:E/MT41K256M16HA-125:E-ND/4251401 x4, more aggressive prices than Digikey)

PMIC: $5 TWL6037 (also based on other TI PMIC prices; can't find TWL6037 for sale anywhere)

eMMC: $20 for 16GB (thinking they'll do a Sandisk iNAND)

Wifi/BT: $15 WL1857 (I think they'll get a better price than this: http://www.svtronics.com/WL1857%20%20Module)

Audio: $3 for DAC + amp (same as in Pandora)

Touch controller: $3 (if this thing were even approaching expensive they wouldn't even bother)

Nub assembly + controllers: $20

Shoulder switches: $2

Digital volume pot: $5

Additional PHY/level shifter/whatever: $10

Additional passives: $5

Sub-total: ~$160

LCD + resistive panel: $70 LG P/N ??? (OEM w/digitizer: http://www.etradesupply.com/lg-nexus-5-d820-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-black.html, I'm factoring in removing this reseller's margin, removing the supplier's increased margin for replacement parts, wholesale benefit, and cheaper digitizer by virtue of using a resistive panel instead of capacitive)

PCB: $10 (going off of calculators for various manufacturers, for an 8 layer board around the full size of a Pandora, this number is actually a little conservative.. this isn't taking into consideration a dual-PCB approach)

PCB population: $30 (not really going on anything here except very vague memories for Pandora.. I figure component count shouldn't be terribly different, but that they'll save on not having to do PoP)

Case + physical controls + mat membranes: $5 (based on what Dragonbox currently sells Pandora parts for)

LCD cable: $3 (total wag, but the MIPI cable should not be anywhere even close to as expensive as the current ribbon cable)

Battery: $10

Final assembly: $2 (assuming they hire people to do it, should at least be able to do several an hour)

Total: ~$300

Pushed that price up a little bit, let me know if I missed something big.

Factoring in a decent (but not especially ambitious) margin, cost for repairs and replacements, and $500 seems plausible. However, the margin could be higher to account for paying back the portion of the investment money that was used to help fund the Pandora queues beyond what was already paid back via Pandora sales. Worst-case scenario, if they have to cover the entire amount ($300k right?) over 5000 sales (I think or at least hope they could get at least that many..) it'd be $60 per unit, so maybe the price could end up a little higher. But I don't see why this has to be > $600, at least not for a base unit, unless of course I'm missing some big things on the BOM or am very wrong about some of the prices. Which could well be the case, AFAIK Pandora right now costs more than $300 to manufacture, which doesn't really add up since Pyra should be more expensive.

Not that I'm trying to coerce ED into giving more of this away or anything :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm,

This system is gonna cost more than nextgen consoles, how is that even possible?!

How many people are gonna make it ran?

Those specs can go down to a little bit above the 3DS and I'll be happy..
And you're the guy who used to tell us that you were developing your own console a while back. Wonder why nobody thought you'd pull it off?

Since Americans tend to leave it out, I take it that estimate does not include our approx. 20% sales tax yet.

First of all: If you want to develop for a console - do it. You don't have to own it. I used to develop for the GCW before it was even buyable! You just need testers. I do/did the same for the Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and the Pandora.

Secondly I own(ed) a gcw and a pandora, so I am able to compare the devices quite well. The pandora is not more expensive for nothing. Touchscreen, an existing repository with muuuch software, high resolution screen, real linux environment, etc. give much more possibilities (if you want them. I know, that for some people the possibilities of the GCW more than enough).

greetings,

Ziz

Back