Depressing

Clyborg said:
This is the post that made me order the pandora: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45203-amiga-emu/page__st__45__p__671657__fromsearch__1&#entry671657

It's a shame that GnoStiC left.

Gnostic is still working on PUAE:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56430

All it takes is minimal work porting to the pandora. I'll probably have a go at it myself when I get mine, just for the practice - I have my own project that's really taking off which I'm desperate to port :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
All these talks about a run on the bank (which probably won't happen) made me think I would inquire whether I could just get a credit at Craig's shop instead of asking for a refund. My reasoning would be that Craig would be able to keep something and I would still get an open-source accommodation. Of course, that was before I realized OpenPandora and GBAX were two different entities (at least I think they are).

P.S. It doesn't look like GBAX.com has been updated in a while.

Don't worry ED, I'm with you the whole way. I'm sure things will come out fine.

EvilDragon said:
... I'm personally being held responsible which means I have about 150.000 EUR I need to pay as a private person... money I don't have. ...

Well if it's money you don't have, you shouldn't have taken personally responsibility then, you have yourself to blame if you don't have the proper legal paperwork regarding your company with Craigs. I betting you got super excited when you saw over a million US dollars flow in as pre-orders, and you wanted to jump into that bandwagon asap. You by now should have talked to a lawyer, and find out how much you are liable for, who knows might be less than you think. For example remember how Craig said FCC testing would be done, when in fact he skipped it due to cost.. I'm sure you have a million more emails from him on subjects like that, so keep all you emails.

EvilDragon said:
So yes... I'm not only annoyed by any delay... it totally drags me down. I'm just a human being after all and while I have a lot of strength to fight, there are times where it is too much for me.

Seems to me that you you need to place the blame where the delay it needs to be, btw seems to be not you.

EvilDragon said:
... I just don't want to see it all go down just because of one single company...

Of course we are working on solutions, working with a new company that could hopefully start a reliable production early next year. But time is our worst enemy. ...

Production issues CAN be solved - but it takes a lot of time. ...

Sorry those are just excuses in my view, there is no single external company blocker from what I can tell of your situation.
1. If it's parts/PCB assembly, there plenty of local assembly houses.
2. If it's a Nubs related delay, I would have a long time ago inform the customers that no Nubs will be present, and that a plastic cover will placed in it's spot. And offer to the customer that replacements/swap-outs when the Numbs come in later on, then refund the rest that can't live without the numbs.
3. If it ABS plastic case/parts causing the delay, there are plenty of local injection molding companies.
etc..

EvilDragon said:
... and as long as the communty sticks with us, we'll find a solution. But if the community stops doing that, it'll be my end somehow... ...
For community to stick with Pandora, they need mutual trust, and one side seems to be lacking
Also doesn't help that more devices like this appearing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6cxaVRs60w

----
Note everything above is just my personal opinion of the situation as I see it.

spaceballs3000 said:
I betting you got super excited when you saw over a million US dollars flow in as pre-orders, and you wanted to jump into that bandwagon asap.
If there's one thing I know, it's that ED isn't like that at all.

Jesus ED. You need to remind people of that every once in a while, that's really the only reason why I haven't cancelled yet. Fingers crossed I get it around Christmas but I'll wait until whenever it happens.

spaceballs3000 said:
I betting you got super excited when you saw over a million US dollars flow in as pre-orders, and you wanted to jump into that bandwagon asap.

You're totally full of shit. At least try to have some possible accuracy behind your crazy accusations. ED was in on this project for years before pre-order money "flowed in", anyone who has had even the slightest interest in this thing for all this time knows this.

He says that he just believes in this project and wants to see it reach fruition, and isn't motivated by money.. so just leave it at that, stop calling him a liar.

Prometheus said:
spaceballs3000 said:
If there's one thing I know, it's that ED isn't like that at all.
I have to agree with Prometheus as well. I don't know any of the team members personally, but I do know a little about business. The million dollars that did arrive was spoken for before it was even given by preorder customers. So I can't imagine there was much to be excited about, unless you figure it was exciting that along with the preorder funds, all the team members got to spend their own savings for R&D along with other things.

I'm not making excuses for anyone at this point, as I have ripped the team for past business practices more than my fair share. But some of this anger should be placed properly. In the last 3 years since the worlds economy has gone down the toilet, I have seen many friends who personally where making small fortunes, and are now just getting by.

I watched these same attacks last Christmas, as the mould factory was to blame for delays, then awhile later the nubs became the focus of delays, and now the board factory. The reality of all these companies(open Pandora included)is that many business operate entirly differant now then they did several years ago. Money talks, and sadly the team doesn't have good money to throw behind the bad. All the vendors involved with this project are doing what they have to so that they don't have to shut there doors and layoff employees. That may mean that any problems the Pandora is having is just not that important to there bottom line.

I have personally said for almost 2 years, if someone doesn't cut it, throw their asses out, and hire someone else. But that is easier said than done. The team has finally decided to look at other alternatives, but that takes much more time, and much more money. I believe that the team finally saw what could be possible once the first units shipped, and so many more consumers got to see this project as more than vaporware. I think they can now justify spending the time and resources on back up plans, as the demand is there to make it a fruitful business descision.

Everyone who is waiting can only wait, if funds are tight get your preorder money back, but that will be less to(exchange rates and such), so I'm sure that will open more complaints about how the team took a certain amount, and are now returning less. All the team can do is go forward with a project that they have put there time and soul into, and ask for the support of the community, that they did it all for.

For those of you beating up on ED, please don't shoot the messenger. He has quit making post in the past, and I would hate to see him retire again. He makes about 99% of all the teams news post, and if he goes away we will only get very few and far between post from Craig, and we all know those SUCK(No offense Craig).

It's the holidays guys/gals, go out and have fun with friends and family, and if you don't have any, get some hookers and blow and ENJOY yourselves. Life is to short to worry about dumb shit, there are people out there who can't aford to eat and keep shelter for their families at this time, instead of focusing energies here, put them where they can help someone who has "REAL" problems at this time of year.

Chris

jumpman said:
For those of you beating up on ED, please don't shoot the messenger.
In fairness, I only recall seeing one person doing that.

Exophase said:
spaceballs3000 said:

You're totally full of shit. At least try to have some possible accuracy behind your crazy accusations.
Spaceballs has a history of baseless claims and incorrect assumptions. Best not to get worked up over it.

Prometheus said:
jumpman said:
For those of you beating up on ED, please don't shoot the messenger.
In fairness, I only recall seeing one person doing that.
True, but I know how the community can get at this time of year, so I just wanted to throw a warning out there before others join in. It only takes one to start a mob scene!

Chris

WizardStan said:
Spaceballs has a history of baseless claims and incorrect assumptions. Best not to get worked up over it.

Yeah, I know. This is not me getting worked up ;p

Always the same few people who support Craig 100% doing their best to discredit me, not sure where you guys get the "baseless claims" statement from.

Was it this thread where I talk to a assembly house CEO, where I discussed Pandora and he telling me "expect to see it in 2011" for all 4k units.. btw I did have a follow up conversation on with the latest information that was given back in that thread, and he says it still be about the same time-line if not longer.

Or was it this thread where a resistor change that directly affects the WiFi module would require it to be CE re-certified again.

Or was it this thread where I was noted that Pandora would have to be FCC certified to be legally used in the USA?

Or was it when I corrected people that FCC would be required to be legal in the USA.

Or was it this thread where I corrected people that SD license would be required, or that Pandora team could face fines from the SD Organization group.

Etc...

None of that makes what you said about ED true. I suppose I support Craig 100%, right?

Although it started initially as a disappointment, it evolved into an annoyance when the Pandoras started shipping earlier this year, yet people in line as early as 350-400 has not gotten their Pandora yet to this day. This is distressing since I am in line 1000-1100. Adding to this frustration is the impossibility of getting an estimated ship date!

I know many others are in the same situation, depressed and angered by the delays. But really, it wasn't exactly OPT's fault, but the manufacturer, no? But I supposed Craig may have been too enthusiastic and optimistic about shipping dates that were never met. How could he have seen the faults the manufacturers will make? Or am I missing another picture here? Were there delays that were absolutely perpetrated by the OpenPandora Team....?

Also, on the subject of "professionalism," I would like to say a few things. The original team were made up of gamers, geeky enthusiasts and electrical engineers. They've decided to band together and create a device for other geeks. Right? Well, that is great, but as far as I know, none of the original members of the team had a business/financial background. I could be very wrong here. But what seems to me is like the team was made up of gaming/engineer enthusiasts, but none of them had any deep knowledge in business, marketing etc. Perhaps that's where they went wrong. They can make a great devices, but had no real business strategy, and it was their biggest weakness. Note that this is totally a guess.

Anyway, I am still very much looking forward to it. I am guessing I'll get mine in about 3-4 months. SIGH!

spaceballs3000 said:
Always the same few people who support Craig 100% doing their best to discredit me, not sure where you guys get the "baseless claims" statement from.
Exophase said:
None of that makes what you said about ED true.
This. How is pointing out that what was being projected onto ED is untrue anything to do with someone who wasn't mentioned in any form, or to do with discrediting anything?

EDIT: edited to remove unnecessary comment about spaceballs still being able to speak while fellating an entire football team

spaceballs3000 said:
Bunch of nasty stuff.

So what are you saying? That the Pandora is doomed? That the Pandora team will be sued into oblivion? Are we all supposed to run screaming into the night because the company is going down in flames any moment? I am not trying to pick a fight, I am asking these questions seriously. I am totally up for waiting, but I am not really into having my waiting (and money) go up in smoke. I would like to receive my Pandora sometime in the future, I don't really mind the other stuff. I was totally unaware of licensing issues, I thought that was why we avoided having the screen flip to become a tablet so the whole suing thing didn't happen.

Back