Depressing

As a guy with a Pandora, it's a shame that software releases have slowed down so much, and so many of you still can't join the party...

I'm still enjoying and using my Pandora a lot though; my recommendation is to go DIY!

At the moment, this fun includes:

Tinkering and modifying the Ubuntu SD card image released by Stuckie (now have overclock, backlight and nub settings working on bootup).

Ported Cmus as a PND installer (wrote scripts to install, uninstall, documentation etc)

Figuring out how to get my Cmus PND working (path problem)

Wrote some scripts to launch roms directly from PND files (but ran into problems with the Snes emu)

Ported NESASM (the Nes assembler) to the Pandora. Made some scripts and keybindings for building/compiling/testing and changing the project directory. I'm also trying to get a sprite editor and debugging nes emulator up and running.

Looking into porting Gambas2 (Visual Basic rip-off), but may run into problems as it failed to install in Pandora-Ubuntu.

And more! I realise DIY isn't for everyone, but I'm not exactly an expert at all this myself. It's the learning which is fun :D

otherguy66 said:
Looking into porting Gambas2 (Visual Basic rip-off),

Woohoooo! I posted a thread about this only the other day. If you manage to get this running I will be a happy bunny.

but may run into problems as it failed to install in Pandora-Ubuntu.

Have you posted your problems on the developer forum? I've found that very helpful!

And more! I realise DIY isn't for everyone, but I'm not exactly an expert at all this myself. It's the learning which is fun
biggrin.gif

I disagree. The learning is not fun. It's frustrating. I am getting no joy out of the constant error messags when trying to compile Novashell. What will be fun is when it's working and I can start making gams with it! fun or not, DIY is pretty much the only way to get the software you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
I disagree. The learning is not fun. It's frustrating. I am getting no joy out of the constant error messags when trying to compile Novashell. What will be fun is when it's working and I can start making gams with it! fun or not, DIY is pretty much the only way to get the software you want.

Yeah. I realise it's not for everyone, but there is fun to be had if you're that way inclined. I have a feeling that the Pandora will always be 'The undiscovered country', so every little hack or tweak is like the first footprints on fresh snow. For example, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person to compile Cmus or NESASM for Arm; I was the first person to use Pandora nubs in Ubuntu booted from SD.

Just my own personal point of view, but it feels slightly like an adventure for the technically curious. For anyone else of a like mind, the Pandora will never be a dissapointment.

:)

DaMummy said:
except for those of us who dont have one

Awwww. :(

If it helps, the last two of mine broke (but this one seems fairly solid so far).

@spaceballs3000:

On a the previous threads, you didn't reply to this comment, which left me wondering what's the deal:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52970-ce-certification-now-invalid/page__view__findpost__p__840248

I will admit I'm still a little worried about the CE mark. But there's another thing that bugs me too: you've repeatedly said that we need a Notified Body's approval for the DoC. Could you give me a link to that?

All I've seen is that we just need the CE marking. I don't see where it actually says we need it done via a Notified Body. Or maybe I skipped over that particular section too quickly, I don't know.

Yes, I can see the Pandora could fall under the R&TTE category. But that by itself doesn't require tests via a Notified Body. And DoC by itself doesn't require an approval from a Notified Body, either. At least that's how I see it...

But either way, it seems OPT needs to make an official DoC in any case (if they haven't already). But that's also something they can do by themselves.

And I do appreciate you looking into these things (especially because it seems you might work in the industry yourself), to give OPT a little heads up, but you're also -occasionally- coming off as a troll of some sort. But if the end result is for the better, I personally don't mind either way.

Also, from http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/single-market-goods/cemarking/faq/index_en.htm :

"Q: Are all CE marked products tested and approved by authorities?

A: No. In fact, the assessment of the conformity of the products with the legislative requirements applying to them is the sole responsibility of the manufacturer. The manufacturer affixes the CE marking and drafts the EC Declaration of Conformity. Only products which are regarded as presenting a high risk to the public interest, e.g. pressure vessels, lifts and certain machine tools, require conformity assessment by a third party, i.e. a notified body."

If we put myth aspect aside, I'm willing to bet we can dismiss Pandora being regarded as a "high risk to the public interest".

Exophase said:
skeezix said:
yeah Exo, wheres Temper :) Just needed a UI didn't it? C'mon, you perfectionist :)

jeff

The UI changes were actually done more or less, or at least that netplay stuff >_>

I actually worked myself into a corner by rewriting the entire renderer, because I ended up having to do the ARM ASM versions (only rewrote the C part) and realized that doing it for Cortex-A8 is a lot harder for ARM9. Especially if your goal is to do something which is good on both.. and inevitably I have to do two versions of the inner loops now :/ I haven't even finished the first function yet and then real life hit my like a sack of bricks again, it's kind of dreadful. Hopefully once I get past that hurdle the other functions will get done easily and I can ship the damn thing. And resume working on things I actually want to work on.
At least it sounds like it will be really nice with the SuperGFX suport etc. Can't wait to try it. I am sure it will be great.

Has there been some sort of split in the OP team?

From a neutral perspective I think it is amazing what has been achieved already. The project has developed so much from a couple of people throwing ideas around on this forum (think I remember Project Ninja at one stage lol). At the same time if I had of plonked the money down on a preorder I would be worried with the amount of delays and problems, it is to be expected with this sort of project though.

I also highly doubt spaceballs is the head of anything with the amount of time he has to troll on here, serious chip on his shoulder. Every time he is given a reasoned answer he moves the goal posts to a different (BS) gripe.

finty said:

From a neutral perspective I think it is amazing what has been achieved already. The project has developed so much from a couple of people throwing ideas around on this forum (think I remember Project Ninja at one stage lol). At the same time if I had of plonked the money down on a preorder I would be worried with the amount of delays and problems, it is to be expected with this sort of project though.

I also highly doubt spaceballs is the head of anything with the amount of time he has to troll on here, serious chip on his shoulder. Every time he is given a reasoned answer he moves the goal posts to a different (BS) gripe.

You must be living in some other reality cause the way I see it , the whole thing shapes up to be an absolute disaster and frankly, being an outsider ( who actually ordered Pandora 2 years ago and kind of forgot about it ), spaceballs appears to be the voice of reason here, not the other way around.

Hello everyone. The 2 year wait for the Pandora was very fun. I've canceled my Pandora order. I've never actually wanted the Pandora, I just like waiting a long time for things.

Good luck to the Pandora team! May your ship crash eloquently :)

warmi said:
finty said:

You must be living in some other reality cause the way I see it , the whole thing shapes up to be an absolute disaster and frankly, being an outsider ( who actually ordered Pandora 2 years ago and kind of forgot about it ), spaceballs appears to be the voice of reason here, not the other way around.

For a group of amateur open source fans to R&D a cutting handheld console from scratch and get this close to the endgame is a total disastour? Maybe you were not sure what exactly you were getting into when you preordered.

Then again it is probably unfair of me to claim to come from a neutral perspective since I was so active in this community years ago and knew some of the team well before the pandora project started.

I'd also say a disaster would be something different... 350 boards with new nubs shipped yesterday, more are currently being done.

The nub issue seems to be behind us finally and production has resumed...

RoboShmup said:
Hello everyone. The 2 year wait for the Pandora was very fun. I've canceled my Pandora order. I've never actually wanted the Pandora, I just like waiting a long time for things.

Good luck to the Pandora team! May your ship crash eloquently :)

dog_bowie.jpg

Have you ever seen that dog and David Bowie in the same place at the same time? Mighty suspicious, that.

Back