• Linspire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bigun

Website
www.pwnedclips.com
Plan on using a different flavor of Linux?

If so, discuss.

I personally would like to see how it runs Gentoo.

(I listed all I could think of)

EDIT: @OP, move the post please... don't know how this happened.

Why Ubuntu not mentioned?

I don't like changing without a good reason, and if the current OS is designed specifically for the handheld I can't see a different Distro changing my mind.

If a distro far surpasses the "defualt" distro, then I am sure that it will become the new shipping distro in time, as this is an open source software system and the manufacturers can make this decision.

I'm scratching my head as to why anyone would want to run gentoo on the device.. after all, the major point of gentoo is that you download the source and build the application on the target itself. That's not something I personally would want to do for every application on my Pandora (or any handheld device).

EDIT: And yes, Yellow Dog Linux is for PPC... we're ARM, so that one should be removed from the poll, unless some of the more unstable members wants to use the Pandora as a PPC emulator.. ;)

@tor yeah nobody is likely to compile on the pandora....

but gentoo can install binaries as well... that is the plan to have precompiled and easily updateable binaries from a crosscompiled gentoo

CentOs left me scratchin

Tor said:
I'm scratching my head as to why anyone would want to run gentoo on the device.. after all, the major point of gentoo is that you download the source and build the application on the target itself. That's not something I personally would want to do for every application on my Pandora (or any handheld device).

EDIT: And yes, Yellow Dog Linux is for PPC... we're ARM, so that one should be removed from the poll, unless some of the more unstable members wants to use the Pandora as a PPC emulator.. ;)
You can always use distcc to compile on a remote machine and then install the compiled files on the Pandora. Gentoo has always been about fine control of what's installed, and nothing else comes close to it's ability to fine-tune an install (except maybe compiling everything by hand, which is just ridiculous).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Arch would be a better option than Gentoo. At least to me ABS' PKGBUILDs look a lot more simply than ebuilds and would therefor make it easier for users to handle their own packages with the packet-manager.
Nevertheless more power to anyone porting anything to the Pandora!

Tor said:

As already mentioned, repeatedly, Gentoo easily (without any more configuration then an added line to make.conf) allows for pre-compiled binaries. The result wouldn't be much different then apt-get.

A MAJOR advantage of using Gentoo vice some other alternatives is the ability to update your software (daily if you wish) without the need to be stuck on release-based distros. And then there is of course the ability to highly tune and optimize your software as you see fit. Angstrom, I believe, will also share this advantage versus general distro installs like Debian/Ubuntu. Gentoo does also share the similar advantage of Debian/Ubuntu by having access to a large software repository that doesn't necessarily need everything to be tuned/re-compiled by hand, like Angstrom.

Quite a few problems
- Yellow Dog? lol
- FreeBSD =/= linux
- Wheres debian, or ubuntu? Especially with all the interest expressed in it

kin said:
lol many peeps voted other cause of missing Ubuntu :)
Who the hell wants Ubuntu? Angstrom (is/is going to be) optimized for usage on an ARM device.

Debian and/or Angstrom.
Probably Debian... I use Angstrom on my file and print server, but when I need to add an app, compiling on my PC, transferring to server, and then finally installing takes quite a lot of time.

Unfathomable Depths said:
My cat is called 'Mittens'.
My cats name is 'George' and he's a dog.

Back