Doukutsu Monogatari ~ Cave Story

Profile.dat = your savegame
Version independent. You can even bring your Profile.dat from the original PC/Windows game.

BTW, 1.02 (some minor bugs fixed) will probably be available tomorrow, I already uploaded it ;)

The profile.dat file is the savegame. The original doesn't have additional savegames either, so if you want other people to play their own game, you'll have to rename your profile.dat to something else temporarely.

Edit: Didn't see Simon posted the same thing 10 minutes before me. :)

Is there really a problem with the number of files? From what I recall it's only ~400 files. Ok, it needs 16MB on my SD (instead of 6MB on my HD's ext3 FS).

I could stuff everything into a ZIP file, but that would probably be a lot of work. Everywhere in the code files are read/written using stdio, so if I map that to a ZIP I would have to change everything.

I don't know how they did with egoboo.
EDIT: Ok, now I know how. They used a cramfs mounted via loopback. That's a nice way how to do it. Should be possible without changing the source code at all. Just pack the data/ folder into data.cramfs and mount that as data/ before running the game.

Simon Parzer said:
Is there really a problem with the number of files? From what I recall it's only ~400 files. Ok, it needs 16MB on my SD (instead of 6MB on my HD's ext3 FS).

I could stuff everything into a ZIP file, but that would probably be a lot of work. Everywhere in the code files are read/written using stdio, so if I map that to a ZIP I would have to change everything.

I don't know how they did with egoboo.
EDIT: Ok, now I know how. They used a cramfs mounted via loopback. That's a nice way how to do it. Should be possible without changing the source code at all. Just pack the data/ folder into data.cramfs and mount that as data/ before running the game.
Yes, i suggess cramfs too, it's only a batch file and 2 modules ;)
Very easy to use :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried using cramfs. It's 2.9 MB instead of 16 MB on my SD card now, with slightly increased loading times.
Question is if this is really needed. If anyone wants it, I release it.

Simon Parzer said:
I tried using cramfs. It's 2.9 MB instead of 16 MB on my SD card now, with slightly increased loading times.
maybe upload the second version with new name on gp2x.archive like "Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari cramFS version"

maybe upload the second version with new name on gp2x.archive like "Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari cramFS version"

No, don't like it that way. Too much confusion with two versions floating around.

I have done some new TextBox.pbm file specific for the GP2x version. you can find it here

Shot at 2007-08-19

Simon Parzer said:
I for one have refused to install this until someone applied cramfs or similar to it (same as I declined to look at egoboo due to the stupid space requirements until that was fixed) - 16mb for 2.9mb of data is insane.

So yes, I would love to get this version.

D.

Slightly longer loading times versus the at least half hour it takes to write this to an SD card, I'll take. Also, I find it's just easier to corrupt when you're dealing with such a long write.

Given that the loading times as is are are entirely unnoticeable, it'd certainly be reasonable to make a CramFS release. Ideally, include both the uncompressed data and the CramFS file and make it an auto-configured option. If the game finds all the data there, it deletes the cramFS image if it's there. If it doesn't find the data there, it runs from the image.

Thus those of us who want reduced space get it (they just delete the data directory before copying) and anyone who doesn't read readmes still isn't inconvenienced by multiple packages or similar. Makes sense :)

Simon Parzer said:
As long this doesn't mean ingame loading delays during fights, do it please, the Game has 400 files and this cries after an archive function :) Maybe some trick like mmuhack or so could do neutralize longer loading times with the archive function? 2.9MB instead of 16MB sounds very cool.

Yod4z said:
I have done some new TextBox.pbm file specific for the GP2x version. you can find it here

Shot at 2007-08-19

Thanks, very useful. Now I'm no longer searching for the "ESC" key on my GP2X :lol: Is this "pbm" a special image format for the game? For fun I would like to extract the graphics maybe, which programm is needed?

By the way, somebody tested the game with less than 200MHz? I would do it but without FPS display its not ideal measurement.

By the way, somebody tested the game with less than 200MHz? I would do it but without FPS display its not ideal measurement.

I tested it with 150 MHz and FPS display. Runs acceptable but not quite full speed (~40-45 FPS).

Thanks, very useful. Now I'm no longer searching for the "ESC" key on my GP2X laugh.gif Is this "pbm" a special image format for the game? For fun I would like to extract the graphics maybe, which programm is needed?

pbm stands for 'pixel bitmap', but in reality it's a simple BMP format (4-bit uncompressed Windows BMP). You can open it with mspaint.

About playing the game at different clock speeds: I've been playing the doukutsu.gpe version at 166 after initially playing for a while at 200. Haven't noticed any difference in speed or anything, though not looking at FPS. I haven't tried playing the -sw.gpe version at all, so can't comment on that.

fusion_power said:
Thanks, very useful. Now I'm no longer searching for the "ESC" key on my GP2X :lol: Is this "pbm" a special image format for the game? For fun I would like to extract the graphics maybe, which programm is needed?
it's just an bmp file with at the end of file © pixel. you can edit with pbrush and use an hexa editor to add "© pixel" at the end ;)

Ok, I'll do another release. This time with cramfs support and the GP2X TextBox.pbm. Probably Wednesday or Friday as I haven't got much time.

Back