Durability

Alpha2

Heroic Autobot
Website
the-real-alpha2.com
Mostly this is just my own thoughts on it having just discovered it's progress, last time I was here it was still nothing more than a few blueprints and big dreams.

I'm quickly starting to consider a Pand. Mostly because my GP2X is so out of date I dont even know if I can update the firmware without bricking it (and with the new touchscreen version out recently I'm totally behind the times in regards to what I need to know). Also I keep looking at all these iphone clones because I want a device that gives me more function than my current cellphone as well as doing things my PSP and DS cant like let me type out text documents.

But the problems I had with the GP2x make me wonder if I'll have to deal with similar issues. The 2X was rated originally to have a certain battery life, cut to real life and that estimate was extremely generous compared to the reality. My thumbstick disappeared one day on the train, sure I could buy another but seriously it's just a piece of plastic, unfortunately one that without it makes life painful and I just ended up not using it anymore afterwards. I'm hoping that manufacturing wise the machine stands up to the standards of other devices. There's no thumbstick so that problem is taken care of, the dual analog nubs kinda scare me but I'm willing to wait and see. the qwerty buttons I hope are as responsive as the controller buttons or my typing will be short lived. The screen, a touchscreen, will putting any pressure on those small DS hinges cause a problem at some point? I feel almost like I might never use the touchscreen just because of that fear unless there's a really super sturdy hinge... which speaking of which I hope is durable as well to stand up to multiple openings and closings.

I like the idea of the EEEPCs but the price for the relatively low power they seem to offer was off putting for me, So now this shows up, I really hope it's a cool as it seems because it could REALLY be useful to me. too bad you couldnt stick a quadband cellphone chip/antenna in there too!

I'm willing to bet if you placed it right over your heart and then you were shot with a nine millimeter round, you would probably live. The system would be gone, but you would probably live. Is that what you mean by durability?

:lol:

I'll be incredibly upset if the Pandora will not survive a drop off a building or a visit to the bottom of my pool. *rolls eyes*

I think as long as it is tested to survive the average front pocket, we'll all be in the green.

yosh64 said:
Is anyone else getting deja vu...

edit
Sorry, thought it would be funny :).
it was :)

also, let's hope that it's as durable as the average nintendo product (DS lite excluded)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else getting deja vu...

Sorry, thought it would be funny :).

it was :)

Kyosys said:
also, let's hope that it's as durable as the average nintendo product (DS lite excluded)
how about the average OLDER nintendo product? the gb micro sucks also :\

The battery life is accurate, and I think people with MK0 machines will confirm that. That is an area we are really hot on. It is where ARM kicks intel in the balls.

craigix said:
The battery life is accurate, and I think people with MK0 machines will confirm that. That is an area we are really hot on. It is where ARM kicks intel in the balls.
That's a word! :) I think whoever will start one of these notorious "Pandora vs. EEE PC" Discussions again, we should just mention the Pandora Battery life i.e. how long we can play Q3 with one Charge onto the Pandora compared to the EEE PC and his poor 3-4 Hours. :lol:

@Theme "Durability": the Pandora doesn't look fragile, I don't know how thick the used Case-plastic will be but I think the Pandora could match with something like this:
http://www.ruggednotebooks.com/products/index.php
maybe there could be a speciel "Rugged Pandora Edition" with magnesium case, water resistant Buttons etc... :D

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
That's a word! :) I think whoever will start one of these notorious "Pandora vs. EEE PC" Discussions again, we should just mention the Pandora Battery life i.e. how long we can play Q3 with one Charge onto the Pandora compared to the EEE PC and his poor 3-4 Hours. :lol:

In my comparison chart, several people objected to ranking the best CPU by performance-per-watt... I thought it was perfectly fair ^_^

You can see that Here.

Dont get me wrong I'm not comparing it to the EEEPC. I mean at best I've only just recently learned they existed shortly before finding out the Pandora is a reality. If I'd known the comparison of the two was a hot topic around here I'd have worded things more carefully.

No my only real concern is for the Pandora and how well it'll fit into my life as a front end general consumer and not a back end code monkey. Battery life was a huge issue for me on the 2X having to carry two sets of batteries just to watch a couple of hours of video was disappointing. Knowing that Craig is as concerned makes me a lot more comfortable with it.

I'm not planning on getting shot anytime soon, my worries are more of the "oops it slipped! *shatter*" and the "dont hold it so ti~~*CRACK!*" variety that would normally be generated by a new gadget from an unknown production factory. I mean LCDs alone have been a big question mark of late for all the portable devices even the ones that are supposed to be expensive do-all devices with mega pricetags.

Another concern is, will we be seeing a lot of FW revisions? Will they be easy to implement because I remember a time when the 2X had such a complex set up even with 2 or 3 FAQs on the forum people STILL were unsure how to do it but I know it got to a point where they were generally painless and I'm hoping a lot of these lessons will be prelearned in the case of the Pandora as well.

Oh, and yes I do still have my old "first edition" 2X. I think I had stopped using my 2x before the 2.0 series FW came up so it should still have the old original orange theme.

AireTamStorm said:
fusion_power said:
craigix said:

In my comparison chart, several people objected to ranking the best CPU by performance-per-watt... I thought it was perfectly fair ^_^

You can see that Here.

First of all, you do not need to mod your DS to use Homebrew on it.

Second, PSP has limited flash support. (not none)

That was just from a cursory glance of the document.

EDIT:
Alpha2 said:
I'm not planning on getting shot anytime soon, my worries are more of the "oops it slipped! *shatter*" and the "dont hold it so ti~~*CRACK!*" variety...
Lemme guess, you used to own a PSP, didn't you? ;P

Alpha2 said:
Another concern is, will we be seeing a lot of FW revisions? Will they be easy to implement because I remember a time when the 2X had such a complex set up even with 2 or 3 FAQs on the forum people STILL were unsure how to do it but I know it got to a point where they were generally painless and I'm hoping a lot of these lessons will be prelearned in the case of the Pandora as well. I think I had stopped using my 2x before the 2.0 series FW came up.
It shouldn't be such a complicated process from what I gather.

Alpha2 said:
Oh, and yes I do still have my old "first edition" 2X.
So do I. ;)

-God Ginrai

Back