Dynarec Completed For Psx4all Project.

I'd like to have the knowledge to build a projet of that amplitude !!!

Good Luck U-nai !!
Good Break Zodttd.

kardasan posted on Aug 28 2006 at 11:01 AM said:
you know... "week off" is spent best when there are no PCs,Macs,PSPs,GBAs,GP2X around...ok maybe one GP2X can go ;) Anyway the best vacation for a coder is WITHOUT most of his electronics.
I take all of those apart from the mac :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering some things about the cache issues involved with the psx4all project.

When cache is talked about with this emulator, is this in reference to the cache present in the ARM processor of the gp2x, or is it the cache involved with the MIPS psx processor being emulated?

If it's a MIPS emulated cache... what kind of associativity is being used for this? Does the MIPS processor used by the PSX have a certain cache type being used? Could there be a potentially better associativity emulated since we're running this on an ARM processor instead of a MIPS?

Does any of this come into play at all?

Just wondering...

... If you're talking about the Dynarecs' cache :)

Anyhow,I will daresay that though compatibility has failed in some areas, in others it has improved :), THAT is the good news lol... Speed hasn't improved, but it wasn't the serious issue yet... Some games work better, others worse, and, damn... This didn't have a dynarec 10 days ago :lol:... It will get better.

If we're talking about cache. Isn't it transparent to the programer? If program(game) is recompiled, then it's run "natively" on arm so it uses caching technique present on system on which it runs, am I right?

cache is, as far as I'm aware not up to the programmer, cache memory is simply a vvvv fast bit of memory in the processor that is used to hold comonly uses instructions gathered from RAM. When a instruction is not in cache it must be loaded before execution, blah blah blah

basically the ABCD thing is a bunch of blocks for saving recompiled functions and hopefully cutting down on the amount of recompilations as a number of functions are stored and may be reused a number of times befor being over written? unless im wrong.... in this case i don't believe the proccessor cache is what the disscussion is about... could be wrong =)

hate to jut into the whole cache conversation, but my internet has been acting up and wouldn't let me add my sentiments earlier.

I just downloaded the alpha 3 or whatever (newest public dealio) and booted it on my gp2x. Now, I recall people saying that FFVII works on this sucker but it fails to finish loading with me. Could this be because I am using an IMG file? How long does it typically take to load games on this version? Just last week, I finally got my older version of the psx emulator working with my FFVII img file (took a second to load then sat at "square enix presents" for a min, but loaded fine after that) I was psyched at the time, because it would not run on the psx4gp2x beta that I also had on my SD card. It was nice speed but not playable through the first battle.

I guess what I'm really trying to get across here is: I like the menus and overclocking options of the newer versions, but the older version is the only guy that will start my games. Am I a complete noob or am I making a simple mistake?

the underlying question that is presented through this personal quandry I am having is as such: "if I can't get it to work now, will I be prepared for the real deal? and if I am not, will you guys all be too busy playing chrono cross to bother helping me?"

thanks guys

If you got the emulator, the correct BIOS, and good BIN/CUE images, that should be alright!

Check your images with other emulators on different platforms, I ripped all my games using CDRWIN, use different bios (they all have to be called scph1001.bin)... Since all GP2X normally are the same, it should work for you too

Page 24 of this topic :

Final Fantasy VII NTSC ( BIN ) :
VSYNC : Intro 37.x/42.x,Menu 40.x/44.x, Cutscene 28.x/37.x, In-game 36.x/42.x, Battle 29.x/38.x, Stats 39.x/41.x
FPS : Intro 18.x/22.x,Menu 38.x/40.x, Cutscene 2.x/6.x, In-game 5.x/13.x, Battle 1.x/7.x, Stats 27.x/32.x
* Note back to long loading time with black screen, don't panic, it does work.

:) ... The "prepared for the real deal" part is upto you, as for help... Just ask, it is provided when possible... Problems with your FFVII could be anything from a bad image to a bad PSX bios.

I'm absolutely sure my bios is fine, and as mentioned before, my img works with the older version (and my computer of course). Most programs I've tried have worked for crap on my computer, but I will try running my FFVII img through that CDRWIN deal.

whilst on the subject of the ability to run stuff on the new alpha3, my star ocean the second story IMG would not run either, as well as my ridge racer ISO (which is peculiar) I'll try runnin em through again.

well, considering I downloaded FFVII off a host site (which is legal since I do own the game, thus own the disk) and the file does not work, perhaps I can download this and rip another copy of the game off the original disk.

thanks reiboul!

edit: LOL! I can't work this program for my life!

i cann't play dodonpachi for ps1

this game run on beta2 and alpha3 (b or c), but i select unit and key type then try to play

loading is not over

i think this problem from cd-da and emulater's cd-rom part

I ripped FFVII with Alcohol 120% to a .img file and I just renamed it to .bin. (wasn't sure if psx4all checks the extension or not) but it works fine.

the emu is supposed to work with .BIN files, if you have problems using another format, begin by trying again with .bin files, logically..

The cache that was being refered to are pieces of recompiled code. I don't think it HAS to be in the CPU cache, but it would speed up things. But ofcourse keeping pieces of cached code inside other memory and copying them to the CPU is still faster as first recompiling the function again and THEN sent it to the CPU.
So I can say: the cache zodttd was talking about were just pieces of recompiled code.. anywhere in memory. I think...

STTrife posted on Aug 29 2006 at 12:09 PM said:
The cache that was being refered to are pieces of recompiled code. I don't think it HAS to be in the CPU cache, but it would speed up things. But ofcourse keeping pieces of cached code inside other memory and copying them to the CPU is still faster as first recompiling the function again and THEN sent it to the CPU.
So I can say: the cache zodttd was talking about were just pieces of recompiled code.. anywhere in memory. I think...

what i stated above :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back