Finding a proper name and logo :)

tbh I just jumped on the 'dragon' thing as I noticed that 'dragonbox' was being banded around here a fair bit when I see this thread... I cannot think of anything else myself off top of my head, perhaps if I spent some time thinking of names too.
That's exactly the problem. There is rather little general information available about the Pandora's successor right now, which means you would have to be somewhat lucky to come up with a fitting logo and name at this point. Ideally, the process of finding a final name and logo should be rescheduled to a later time, at least that's the way I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh I just jumped on the 'dragon' thing as I noticed that 'dragonbox' was being banded around here a fair bit when I see this thread... I cannot think of anything else myself off top of my head, perhaps if I spent some time thinking of names too.
That's exactly the problem. There is rather little general information available about the Pandora's successor right now, which means you would have to be somewhat lucky to come up with a fitting logo and name at this point. Ideally, the process of finding a final name and logo should be rescheduled to a later time, at least that's the way I see it.
I disagree: there is quite a lot of general information available about the Pandora successor. Its ancestry (the Pandora) is completely known. The general concept is also known: it's going to be a clamshell handheld hybrid between a game console and a mini-laptop, with a focus on hackability and FOSS. It will in many ways be nothing more and nothing less than an improved version of the Pandora we all know.

Or are you suggesting that the name and logo depends crucially on currently unknown details about the technical specs, like the amount of RAM and internal storage or the type of video out connector?

I disagree: there is quite a lot of general information available about the Pandora successor. Its ancestry (the Pandora) is completely known. The general concept is also known: it's going to be a clamshell handheld hybrid between a game console and a mini-laptop, with a focus on hackability and FOSS. It will in many ways be nothing more and nothing less than an improved version of the Pandora we all know.
I actually expected that you would comment on it this way. The thing is, such graphical works are not like programming.
Just as an example, it can be imagined that when the first images (photos or renders) of the new device's case can be seen, people in this thread here will suddenly come up with very new ideas that may differ a lot from the current ones.

Another example: If the Pandora's successor can be used with a cradle, a possibility that Ed recently wrote about in a different thread, then it could be used as a mobile desktop PC that is easily connected to a desktop "dock". This is not how the Pandora is typically used. So, what purposes will people see the Pandora's successor fulfill, and how will those purposes differ from the purposes that the Pandora is fulfilling? If enough information about the Pandora's successor is available that the purposes that people will see that device fulfilling can be guesstimated, will it help people come up with better names and logos?

As a third example (and probably the most important one): What is the Pandora's successor even? Surely its hardware is essentially an upgrade of the Pandora's hardware, but would it make sense to set different priorities this time around? For instance, wouldn't it make more sense to treat the new device as a micro-netbook with integrated gaming controls, rather than as a gaming device that happens to also sport a "full desktop"? If so, then would a good logo not reflect such things?

Then again, I don't know anything about marketing. I'm merely seeing a lot of indications that it would make sense to only start the process of thinking about a name and logo when it can no longer be avoided. The unfortunate thing is that I think that that is pretty much exactly the way Ed has done it.

Or are you suggesting that the name and logo depends crucially on currently unknown details about the technical specs, like the amount of RAM and internal storage or the type of video out connector?
Currently logo and naming base was taken from EvilDragon's nickname. Is it accurate to name handheld console / mini laptop that way? 

my previous post

Perhaps without the middle box though ... could instead use the half-squares of the 'd' and 'b' chars to make the box.

The middle one makes it read like DOB I think, unless of course the middle box was drawn different graphically from the font of the 'd' and 'b'. That could look nice I think
 I agree that it should be more "integrated". It would be the best if the letters are within the box. Maybe only the "db", maybe the entire name. :)

dragonbox2rrz8c.png

AMEN! :)
I like the other Logos, they look very professional. But I guess they are far to complex and complicated.

What do you mean, FaeMinx? Something like this?

pyragon-logo2.png

Anyway, it's just a concept of a logo - someone with more skills than me could make a "real" logo out of it, with a better font and kerning, nicer red "flames" / "hair", etc.
This seems clear and simple enough. Much better font than your first one. ^^

Just twisting kuru's idea somewhat ... have lost the dpad look here, but retained the 'X' type character 

2cik3g4.png

15xsggk.png

Yes I agree CB, I'll play about with this one a bit more later tonight probably, and will try that, make it like a classic arcade button.

Got to shoot out now, so in a bit 

Looks a lot better I think.

I'd just lose the stroke outline around the actual dragon, or make it a lot thinner
It's just a sketch, but imagine that the dragon also has a clean outline. Overall, the Dragon should be also only 2 coloured so the Logo is doable also as simple relief. :)
15xsggk.png

Yes I agree CB, I'll play about with this one a bit more later tonight probably, and will try that, make it like a classic arcade button.

Got to shoot out now, so in a bit
Nice concept, also looks good but maybe do less and bigger bubbles. Imagine that the Logo must be printable onto small spaces and also work as relief onto the device. ;) I also recommend to change the color, maybe red or blue because the green remembers me onto the XBox Logo color.

That could be quite nice kuru, the dpad shape made from buttons like that.

And this one:

Looks a lot better I think.

I'd just lose the stroke outline around the actual dragon, or make it a lot thinner
This one is cool.  Dragonbox has been opened and unleashed the dragon power to the outside world  :)

Here's another Dragonbox one, with the European style dragon incorporated into the word;

1zx1c2u.png
Until now the one I like most. Clean and elegant. :)

I like the O-dragon as open as it is here. Would be a nice logo without the rest of the text. The current pandora box logo could be added as a small trademark.

Regarding names:

DMC-12

well, since the whole story of this thing reminds me of the original OpenPandoras story and it even looks a bit this way,

maybe "Medusa" would be more fitting as a successor to the DMC-12. ;)

Well.. "they" say men stay kids for ever, so you may have a point there. Still don't like the logo though ;)

ah6k.png

A "P" that looks kinda like a flame...

ofda.png

I'm not sure I like the full word - but it gives you an idea of what might be done if someone had more time / skill.

Dragonbox Moonmoon!
I'm totally happy with this this.

But hey Binky, could you draw a Myriad logo with the M stylized after a dragon's three clawed footprint?  Maybe they'll like that.

Back