Finding a proper name and logo :)

I had stuck this in another thread - just going to add it here so it's in the right place

catchya later

Rick

pyra-logo.jpg
Awesome!

... I would like to see a thinner and stetched version it will look more like a logo, maybe with rounded corners....
I think the rounded one looks ok too when seen it

here's a semi-rounded/knife edge type one, and a rounded one

1zftsmo.png

and the rounded one stretched a bit

rsrn88.png

By "streched" I wanted de say in the other direction, and it makes sense only if letters would be thinner.

Anyway your changes are great. The A now look  natural. The semi rounded one is amazing, very well balanced. I can see it as the logo without problem.

By improving the shape, it could looks a little bit more straight but in my opinion this is the logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the big line on the bottom, it does look like an "e".

I think that is a bit of a stretch.. I don't think it's what people would think on first glance.. I think you're just trying to see an E.

I think spinghed has the best looking logo. I trust ED will ignore the spam of fugly ones.

I think spinghed has the best looking logo. I trust ED will ignore the spam of fugly ones.
Let me tell you the truth, spinghed's logo is well made and looks very good but it is incredibly banal, in addition when it will be inscribed on the Pyra there will no longer be colors and effects. On the Pyra it would make it look like an average chinese unknow crap brand.

I can understand that it is easier to average people to like average looking(but very good quality I admit) logo, but In my opinion Pyra deserve more than a commonplace well made logo because it isn't a commonplace device.

That's why I support ambigram, because it's a rare thing and we have the chance that it can be done with "Pyra". And i'm sure that after improving it will looks far better than any commonplace logo.

Let me tell you the truth, spinghed's logo is well made and looks very good but it is incredibly banal, in addition when it will be inscribed on the Pyra there will no longer be colors and effects. On the Pyra it would make it look like an average chinese unknow crap brand.

Well that's a bit harsh, It's not my favorite out of the bunch..  but I like some aspects of that logo.. 

Kiga:

I think it can be both, for different reasons. A mascot is different from an emblem is different from a logo and so on. Readability and art is visually and visually two different things. One could be the other, but they are distinctly different in that they have different characteristics. Trying to do all things with just one approach, the middleground, with one or the other in mind, is as hard to do as going both towards one end or the other. In any event its dictated a lot by the name pyra and the letters thereof.

The best of all worlds is at the table, and i think a combination thereof, be it in two "logos" together or a dualistic nature best serves the purpose of displaying what pyra is about and what its name is.

One combination of things that excel in many different directions.

I think it can be both
Both what?

Maybe I don't understood all you said because my english is bad.

I don't think that it is as hard as you say to make it readable and good looking at the same time. It's just a matters of eye and skills. I believe I have a good eye but no skills.

I'm not opposed to have two "logo" but if there is only one, it must be an ambigram to me. Because ambigram is readable and a real "logo" itself.

If we chose an unreadable "logo" like yours we will be forced to chose another readable "logo" which can be like spinghed's or an ambirgram.

Well yes, exactly, and each for their own purpose. Ambigrams are nice where you want them to turn upside down. They could read differently, but i understood it as a means to have it look the same both ways and still be a visual object defended as text. What reads well on its own accord is a font, and may not have enough essence to it alone, and what is in between is maybe both, but not one or the other unfortunately, choosing the letters is back to square one, but i think we have produced more with because predetermined letters in latin script than i can see working as a word people enjoy if all limits were off. I even tried that approach, and it didn't seem to resonate with people.

removing from font form to produce something of your own that is good is increasingly difficult.

Adding to pyra is making it less readable, if you want to add enough to make it visually what you want, within symmetry, each time you add it gets more complex to not lose both.

In between those two at least for me, my efforts became limited possibilities.

Consistently it seems people want impossible things, but at the very least as impossibly hard to make, as possible.

Thanks for your comments - I can sod about with it if you have specific ideas. Ignore the colours though - just concentrate on the silhouette...

Rick

I think that is a bit of a stretch.. I don't think it's what people would think on first glance.. I think you're just trying to see an E.

I don't think it's a worry either, but could create a little gap there anyway, just for extra clarity;

28hfjgw.png

I like it, think it looks good in just a single colour, or if was embossed.

About the outline of it, it looks a little bit like the US Amiga logo from 80's, just the outline edge shape, the slants and the the underline from the [A] ... but not too much that would be a worry I wouldn't think

Amiga-90sLogo.gif

I don't think it's a worry either, but could create a little gap there anyway, just for extra clarity;

28hfjgw.png

I like it, think it looks good in just a single colour, or if was embossed.

About the outline of it, it looks a little bit like the US Amiga logo from 80's, just the outline edge shape, the slants and the the underline from the [A] ... but not too much that would be a worry I wouldn't think

Amiga-90sLogo.gif
Yes that might help - I'll fiddle with the artwork… I'd forgotten that Amiga logo though!!

I had some time this afternoon so I made some adjustments to the "P" and the other letterforms to make them less flabby and to make the curves flow better. It's an improvement but it's not finished. I also separated the swoosh from the P in an effort to make it look less like an 'e' as that was one of the general comments.

Anyway, as ever, comments please

catchya later

Rick

Pyra-logo-update.jpg

By the way, though my profile says newb, I have been here since the GP32x days!

:)

Back