GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

wow, that's great, the GCW0 SDK now comes with a qemu virtual machine:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld/posts
Not yet. The QEMU support is not ready. We're having issues with running applications using sound with it at the moment. It should be also noted QEMU does not emulate JZ4770 and the rest of our hardware, but just a generic MIPS machine running our rootfs. While this is perfect for testing the binaries running in a native environment, this should not be treated as a benchmark/performance test of GCW Zero.
No need to push it, my friend. GCW performed well in that kickstarter. I'm sure people will appreciate every single bit of its greatness. courageous

I think there are still many people who don't want another generic android backwater ps vita knock-off. 

GCW is in really nice shape at the current stage already, thanks to many of you wonderful handsome courage beautiful kind gentlemen (or ladies). 

I mentioned it. It's not what you say it is. Just someone pretending to have Pandoras, giving bogus list prices, and hoping to get a crazy deal from ED.

Your memory on Pandora cases being illegitimately sold by the company is probably wrong. Such an event would have lit up the boards and I wouldn't have missed it. It's possible that someone used a picture of a Pandora to promote an unrelated device but an actual Pandora case in the product, I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did an initial compile of qemu for the gcw zero with the toolchain and a bit of fiddeling around.

I answered gcws pm but he seems to be pretty busy.

I need someone with actual hardware to perform some tests.

If the qemuimage of the gcw works, maybe you can run the gcw firmware on the gcw trough qemu in the future... ;)

Not that it has any use.

I did an initial compile of qemu for the gcw zero with the toolchain and a bit of fiddeling around.

I answered gcws pm but he seems to be pretty busy.

I need someone with actual hardware to perform some tests.

If the qemuimage of the gcw works, maybe you can run the gcw firmware on the gcw trough qemu in the future... ;)

Not that it has any use.
You got me dude ready and waiting when you are willing to test anything.

@mcobit

opendingux:/boot/local/test/qemu/bin # ./qemu-system-i386
Could not initialize SDL(No available video device) - exiting

That said, I never dealt with qemu before. Maybe we need to point it to /dev/fb0 or something

Or maybe because SDL backend implies 640x480?

Really, I have no clue and it's not easy to figure it out without being able to try it myself, but at least it seems to start, what is a start :)

If the output needs to go to fb0, shouldn't SDL itself configure it that way on init if no windowmanager is available?

I can have a look, if there is some hardcoded res, that needs to be changed.

But as I said, it compiles quite easily out of the box. I can give you my configurecommand etc. then all you people with the hardware can build it yourself.

Just run the configure script this way with a normal installed gcw toolchain in opt and it should build.

./configure --libdir=/opt/gcw0-toolchain/usr/mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc/sysroot/usr/lib --includedir=/opt/gcw0-toolchain/usr/mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc/sysroot/usr/include --prefix=. --target-list=i386-softmmu --cross-prefix=mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc-  --disable-docs --disable-guest-agent --disable-spice --audio-card-list=sb16,adlib

Of course you need your compilers in PATH and export CC and CXX to their toolchain counterparts mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc-gcc and mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc-g++.

You might also need to do some symlinks from the toolchainversions of sdl-config, pkg-config and freetype-config to mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc-sdl-config, mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc-pkg-config and mipsel-gcw0-linux-uclibc-freetype-config.

I don't have pkg-config in my toolchain, so I can't recompile, but I think this line in ui/sdl.c is the culprit:

sdl.c:886:    setenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER", "x11", 0);

Otherwise there is no explanation why

Code:
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_NOPARACHUTE);
crashes.

You should try doing your own setenv to set SDL_VIDEODRIVER to fbdev, before calling SDL_Init.

(yeah, that was probably obvious advice)

I think you have pkg-config. Have a look into the binfolder in sysroot ;)

I can try to come up with some workaround but as I cannot test myself, there might be a lot of files to be sent back and forth ;)

Edit: @Exophase: yeah. Pretty obvious ;)

But I would be kinda surprised if x11 output isn't used for a reason here...

unfortunately, no one can be told what the GCW Zero is, you have to see it for yourself

You take the blue pill and the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe

You take the red pill you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes

Remember, all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more

My idea is that the console is what is inside considering hardware, if you resarch what that is all about  and means. It brings possibilities to really cool stuff.

As for how good X system emu goes, depends a lot on the software guys. ;)

unfortunately, no one can be told what the GCW Zero is, you have to see it for yourself

You take the blue pill and the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe

You take the red pill you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes

Remember, all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more
You love Matrix don't you :D

One of my favorite movies ever ;)

But seriously, the quick and dirty is its close to Pandora level retro console emulation for 1/2 to 1/4 the price depending on which Pandora you are comparing it to. Minus n64 and psx, which hasn't been established yet on how well it will perform.

Open source os, high battery life, user replaceable internal and external storage, full analog + comfortable physical buttons, pocketable design, and really cheap are all together what makes it interesting. At least to me anyway.

Back